Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 AM

350 posts, read 1,641,772 times

Advertisements

If you like to play pool, there's a pool hall called Sidepockets in the shopping center with Giant and Chuck E Cheese's. It used to be Champions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 AM

262 posts, read 2,018,118 times
Sidepockets is a good place to hang out. Can't believe I forgot it, I was just there 2 weeks ago...

Sullivan's is still there, but that shopping center on 198 is a dump! Haven't had a meal there in years to know if it's any good.

And, Matt was right about Pasta Plus. Great Italian food at great prices - though again, the shopping center it is in is a complete dump.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,935 times
Well from ur discription Laurel is a nice place for u to live.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 88,319 times
Default City of Convenience

Laurel is a very nice place to live and I am dismayed about leaving, but I should invest in owning rather than renting and this area is very exorbitant when it comes to the housing market. I have never been the victim of crime and there is plenty of police protection as we have the county and city department.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:36 AM
jlw jlw started this thread

5 posts, read 28,144 times
Default Thank you

Yes! It's official! Moving to Laurel at the end of October. I'm very excited about the descriptions you all have given about the town. Thank you all very much for responding! I check this post alot, so if anyone has any other helpful info about Laurel... post away!!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
pah

1 posts, read 2,317 times
Default Laurel

Rams Head Tavern is a really nice bar and restaurant in nearby Historic Savage. There are also some really cool shops at Savage Mill. It is about 4 miles N on Route 1.

Laurel is probably a very good investment right now. It is directly between DC and Baltimore and right now it is cheaper than a lot of nearby areas. They have plans to totally revamp the area with the premier shopping for the Met area (Konterra) has begun.

The value should only go up. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,819 times
pg isnt that bad really.I am going to Side Pockets tonight. Anyone ther in the APA league??

Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM

64 posts, read 173,816 times
One of my really good young single white female friends lived on Main St. She absolutely loved it, and she's not one who would live in an unsafe place. She liked the community feel. You're also right next to the MARC train, which will take you into DC in like 30 minutes. Best kept secret around if you have a job in DC or want to go in to see the museums or hang out on the Mall. Can't take it back at night though, bummer, due to the schedule.

As people mentioned, you don't want to go to the mall, it's basically shutting down. But Laurel is on the rise, and in the 6-7 years I was there, it has improved dramatically. It will keep doing so I believe, with good leadership. It's also very close to other cities that you would enjoy visiting, too.

Not a whole lot to do in Laurel, though, as far as hanging out. And the food, well, not so great, either. With the exception of one shining star--pasta plus, and there are also a couple of great Korean and Vietnamese restaurants off Route 1 near Powder Mill intersection.

The guy who mentioned working in Laurel in the 70's and 80's, yeah, I shudder to think what it was like. But today it's way, way better, even comparing it to 2001.

So not exactly great, but for the COL around DC, I can't afford to live in some snooty half-million dollar neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland