Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM
jlw jlw started this thread

5 posts, read 28,154 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to Laurel, Maryland from Pennsylvania, but haven't finalized anything yet. The condo that we're looking is on Main St. in Laurel. Is this a good location? We are a young couple and are very interested in being within walking distance of a couple of things to do, maybe get a drink after a day of work. We are, however, looking for a nice area. It doesn't have to be upscale, but I want to feel 100% comfortable walking around by myself. Does Main Street match this description? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 20,390 times
Main St, Laurel is decent. There are some good places to go drinking in walking distance. The strip mall is about a mile down Route 1 (newly renovated) w/ movie theatre, pool hall, etc. My understanding is the city elders are wanting to make that section of Laurel more modern, so now is a good time to get in.

[cut]

Matthew

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2006 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 88,426 times
Default Excellent Choice

You may have heard that Prince George's County is the least desirable county in which to live. Test results indicate that the schools have some very serious problems and about a year ago, the county experienced the highest homocide rate in the state, right below Baltimore City!

However, Laurel, which borders Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County (also not far from Montgomery County) has some favorable and attractive areas to live. It is generally one of the safer places to live. One of those areas would be Main Street. I live there, but am about to move to a more affordable place and purchase my first condominium. Main Street is safe (Laurel Police Department is nearby) and there is a fine deli (Linny's) as well as a few nice restaurants....Red Hot and Blue, Oliver's Tavern, etc. A Post Office is in walking distance. There are several banking centers. If I could afford to buy a home here, I would. I realize that buying is the best investment one can make so I hope to return here several years from now after I earn some equity, if possible.

Finally, people do walk around the street even at night. I would still advise you to be cautious.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,498 times
As funny as it sounds, the "north end" of Laurel's Main Street is nicer because it actually has nice places people go at night, and shady people don't walk around 7th Street/Route 216 at night. Red Hot & Blue has solid BBQ, and my little sister is fairly young and I feel comfortable hearing about her going to Oliver's at night for a drink. The "south end" closer to Route 1 puts you near Sportsman's Pub (constant fights and arrests - but still fun), an adult bookstore, and a parking lot which is a favorite hangout for prostitutes.

The meat marker/butcher shop on Main Street is one of the best in the state, and the frame/art store is a family owned mainstay of the town as well. It's a pretty decent place to live, I do recommend it to couples with one spouse working in DC and one in Baltimore, but if you can swing Old Town Ellicott City or Annapolis, go for that instead!!! (More young couples/singles, better restaurants, safer - but more expensive.)

I grew up in Laurel and still head over there from time to time. Though they've added some more upscale shopping, restaurants, and new luxury homes, in terms of safety it's been an area on the decline, as a whole. I certainly wouldn't move back - there's a lot of safer, similarly price locales in Maryland.

Good luck...

Last edited by pkoons; 09-20-2006 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: clarifying

Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Just a final thought

I agree with the person who commented about the issues on Main Street. There is also a very nice pool at the end that I forgot to tell you about. They are planning to build town homes that will be about $600,000 on Main Street. Laurel is a great area to invest in the real estate market and is a city of convenience.

However, if you have children, you are better off home schooling or choosing a private school as the public schools are not very good.

Also, I agree that Ellicott City is nicer and a lot safer. Just talk to residents of Laurel who have lived here for most of their lives. The truth is that while it is a racially diverse neighborhood, which is most commendable, many acknowledge that the overall area has changed for the worst with regards to the criminal element.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,926,507 times
I grew up in Laurel in the 70's and 80's. I also worked as a police dispatcher for Laurel city in the late 80's, early 90's. Even back then, there were some really scary parts of town. However, the crime was contained back then to certain neighborhoods, even certain blocks. Not sure if that's still true.

My parents still live there and, honestly, I hate the drive there. The last I heard the mall was completely closed down and the city itself seems really depressing to me. Then again, I basically drive to my parents' house or Bart's (old-time barber shop where every male in my family still gets haircuts) so I'm seeing Rt 198 and Rt1--probably driving by some of the worst sections.

I don't mean to sound so negative b/c I really do have a soft spot for my hometown and the location b/w Balt and Dc is great. And its really only a short drive to Columbia Mall. I agree with PKoons in that there are some nicer sections of Laurel and I really do like Main Street, especially Oliver's. And, oh my gosh, I'd completely forgotten about the Meat Market. Is Bill still around?

Anyway, if I didn't have kids and wanted to move to Laurel, then I'd go with the north end of Main. But if I could afford it, I would definitely be headed to Annapolis.---bande

Old 09-20-2006, 12:59 PM
jlw jlw started this thread

5 posts, read 28,154 times
Default Laurel

Thank you all for replying to my questions about Laurel. I'm really glad that the feedback regarding Main Street was so positive, because we just signed a 6 month lease for an apartment on Main Street and 7th! (yes, without even looking at it...) We figure that we can give Laurel a shot for 6 months, and while we're there we can look around and decide if this is really the best town for us. If anything, we will probably look for a nice (but not too outrageously expensive) town a little closer to DC. But for now I'm so very excited about moving to Laurel!!!

So going out in Laurel, any suggestions other than Red Hot and Blue and Olivers? Are these nice places or just your typical neighborhood bar?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:51 PM

262 posts, read 2,021,498 times
see if you can find my old thread titled "Laurel, MD". Probably somewhere towards the abck of this forum

I like Greene Turtle best for a night out, but it's not exactly "nice" - it's a noisy bar where people watch football games, drink beer, eat wings, and play GoldenTee. Here's a list of Laurel bars - there are TONS of restaurant bars as well:

Greene Turtle
Oliver's
Sportsman's Pub
My Way
Crickett's California Inn
Remington's
Nuzback's
Sapphire's
J's Sports Cafe

Old 09-20-2006, 05:20 PM

221 posts, read 993,820 times
Our favorite place to go was Sullivan's, off Rt 1. Is it still there? It was a great little steakhouse.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Another thought on this discussion

I must tell you that Linny's Deli is a very fine place for breakfast and lunch located on Main Street. I am always treated well and I like the atmosphere.

Two of the best restaurants in Laurel are unquestionably the following: Bay N' Surf (seafood) and Pasta Plus (Italian).

I hope that you like your apartment even if it is just for six months. I did not know of one at Seventh Street and Main Street.

Laurel Mall is a depressing place to visit. They are building a very costly and upscale apartment complex across from the mall since they eradicated the Laurel Square complex. This is favorable, but the mall needs a lot of work.

Regarding the meat market, I think that Bill, the owner, is still there. That is a very nice place to shop and there is much variety. I will check on Sullivan's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland