Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM

27 posts, read 66,805 times

Advertisements

I've seen a very split view so far on the forums as to the quality of the area right around the mall. The apartment complex I am thinking about currently is just south of the mall. I myself live on a housing voucher so I know how unfair the Section 8 stigma can be, but I do also know what kind of people you can sometimes find in low income housing. Of course, the same kind of people can be found at any income level, they just get more pretentious the higher up you go.

SO, is it a good move or a bad move idea? I don't have to move immediately and have plenty of time to think about it at least. The building I live in now is just not a good place for me to live, and I would also like to move out of White Oak for other reasons I won't get into. I lived in Rockville for a few years before here and for the cost of rent, limited or no utilities included in the rent, and rarity of pets being allowed, well... I obviously moved away. ^^;; I considered Baltimore as well for proximity to a doll meet *geek here* as well as Otakon but I've seen even worse "DON'T MOVE HERE" type stuff for Baltimore in general so I really don't even know what to think about that area anymore.

I don't have a car and won't have one due to disability issues, so I rely on public transportation. The location I'm looking at is at least good in that respect for where I would need to get to in local Gaithersburg, and the mall and groceries being close are a plus on walking/busing terms alone. I don't know enough about other counties to research where to live there, and all my resources are currently Montgomery County and I have learned the hard way before just how frustrating it can be to try and switch counties when one tells me one thing and one tells me another (PG vs MoCo Social Services ran me around a bunch on that one, and this would also be a consideration if I rethought Baltimore). I might do a post in the general MD forum on other county options but I'm curious to see feedback on the Lakeforest Mall area first, as other conditions related to the apartment complex itself are very tempting. FYI I haven't literally been over there yet because it's a bit of a haul on the bus/metro from where I am now.

So, yes, information and feedback are greatly appreciated. ^__^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I live with disabilities too. The area you seem to be referring too, is not as bad as some will, no doubt, come along and tell you. You should probably make the trip and see for yourself first. That said, a couple things I noticed about your post.

*Public transport is very good. The Lakeforest transit center is not far away. Almost every bus route in Gaithersburg goes through there. Several routes go to a Metro station.

* Groceries - This is a problem. The closest is a Trader Joes. Next closest is a Giant on Montgomery Village Ave. You would need a bus because it is too far to walk. Too far for my power chair too.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_shane View Post
I've seen a very split view so far on the forums as to the quality of the area right around the mall. The apartment complex I am thinking about currently is just south of the mall. I myself live on a housing voucher so I know how unfair the Section 8 stigma can be, but I do also know what kind of people you can sometimes find in low income housing. Of course, the same kind of people can be found at any income level, they just get more pretentious the higher up you go.

SO, is it a good move or a bad move idea? I don't have to move immediately and have plenty of time to think about it at least. The building I live in now is just not a good place for me to live, and I would also like to move out of White Oak for other reasons I won't get into. I lived in Rockville for a few years before here and for the cost of rent, limited or no utilities included in the rent, and rarity of pets being allowed, well... I obviously moved away. ^^;; I considered Baltimore as well for proximity to a doll meet *geek here* as well as Otakon but I've seen even worse "DON'T MOVE HERE" type stuff for Baltimore in general so I really don't even know what to think about that area anymore.

I don't have a car and won't have one due to disability issues, so I rely on public transportation. The location I'm looking at is at least good in that respect for where I would need to get to in local Gaithersburg, and the mall and groceries being close are a plus on walking/busing terms alone. I don't know enough about other counties to research where to live there, and all my resources are currently Montgomery County and I have learned the hard way before just how frustrating it can be to try and switch counties when one tells me one thing and one tells me another (PG vs MoCo Social Services ran me around a bunch on that one, and this would also be a consideration if I rethought Baltimore). I might do a post in the general MD forum on other county options but I'm curious to see feedback on the Lakeforest Mall area first, as other conditions related to the apartment complex itself are very tempting. FYI I haven't literally been over there yet because it's a bit of a haul on the bus/metro from where I am now.

So, yes, information and feedback are greatly appreciated. ^__^

Lakeforest Mall is not a bad area. You can chalk up the Lakeforest talk to people seeing minorities and running away. Plain and simple. Let's be real, Gaithersburg doesn't have barely any crime compared to Silver Spring, PG, D.C., or Baltimore. People on this forum would make you believe Gaithersburg is southeast D.C.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I live with disabilities too. The area you seem to be referring too, is not as bad as some will, no doubt, come along and tell you. You should probably make the trip and see for yourself first. That said, a couple things I noticed about your post.

*Public transport is very good. The Lakeforest transit center is not far away. Almost every bus route in Gaithersburg goes through there. Several routes go to a Metro station.

* Groceries - This is a problem. The closest is a Trader Joes. Next closest is a Giant on Montgomery Village Ave. You would need a bus because it is too far to walk. Too far for my power chair too.
Nope - that Giant is long gone. The closest is on Goshen Rd almost to East Village, and the Safeway in East Village which is even further away.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Lakeforest Mall is not a bad area. You can chalk up the Lakeforest talk to people seeing minorities and running away. Plain and simple. Let's be real, Gaithersburg doesn't have barely any crime compared to Silver Spring, PG, D.C., or Baltimore. People on this forum would make you believe Gaithersburg is southeast D.C.
It's not bad, just that my cousin got her iPhone snatched waiting at the bus stop a few months back. You have to be careful/alert.....

Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
Don't do it, trust me. It's very unsafe. The mall for example, is pretty much a gang war zone. If you are outdoors make sure you are never alone.

Also, there is too much Spanish spoken, so if you don't speak Spanish it will be hard for you to live. The schools in the area, Gaithersburg, Watkins Mill are among the worst in the nation.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Nope - that Giant is long gone. The closest is on Goshen Rd almost to East Village, and the Safeway in East Village which is even further away.
How far is the Giant at Clopper & Quince Orchard?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
How far is the Giant at Clopper & Quince Orchard?
That's even further away. You might as well go to Wallmart then..

http://www.giantfood.com/our_stores/...re_results.htm

1 Giant - #0192

18250 Flower Hill Way

Flower Hill

Gaithersburg, MD 20879

301-926-0340
1 mile
2 Giant - #0196

20044 Goshen Rd.

Goshen Crossing

Gaithersburg, MD 20879

301-990-0322
1 mile
3 Giant - #0150

46 Bureau Dr.

Diamond Square

Gaithersburg, MD 20878

301-216-0911
3 miles
4 Giant - #0161

16837 Crabbs Branch Way

Shady Grove

Derwood, MD 20855

301-216-0912
3 miles
5 Giant - #0362

20944 Frederick Road

Neelsville Village Center

Germantown, MD 20876

301-515-9282
5 miles
6 Giant - #0320

229 Kentlands Blvd.

Kentlands

Gaithersburg, MD 20878

301-208-8203
5 miles
7 Giant - #0368

842 Muddy Branch Rd.

Muddy Branch

Gaithersburg, MD 20878

301-948-8148
5 miles
8 Giant - #0329

9719 Traville Gateway Drive

Shoppes at Traville

Rockville, MD 20850

301-315-1460
6 miles

Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I was just over there this morning. I saw an H Mart (not sure if that's the right name) where the old Safeway used to be. If that store works for the OP, then it's not too far.

I'm surprised to hear that the Giant is gone! What happened?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I was just over there this morning. I saw an H Mart (not sure if that's the right name) where the old Safeway used to be. If that store works for the OP, then it's not too far.

I'm surprised to hear that the Giant is gone! What happened?
I think he's refering to the Giant off of Watkins mill. That turned into a Global Food store.

The area is not that bad considering what you can get with a voucher i presume.

PS just to let you guys know Supersayin was joking if you couldn't tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland