Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

49 posts, read 159,718 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I, along with our 6 year old daughter, are planning to move next summer; and one of the cities we're considering is Bowie. Other areas we are considering are Columbia, Silver Spring, and possibly Rockville or Gaithersburg. We currently live in Laurel and are definitely ready to move. (Basically settled in Laurel last summer due to lower priced housing; moved from Charlotte, NC.)
Anyway, Bowie seems like a nice city and has very affordable housing, but I'm wondering if there are any areas or neighborhoods to avoid or areas that are recommended?

BTW - We are looking for a single family home or townhome to rent first, since we already own a home in Charlotte. (Monthly Rental Price Range $1800-$2400 month)
If we like the city we move to, we will eventually buy in that area.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM

94 posts, read 193,155 times
Have you looked in Glenn Dale? I think it might be a little bit more affordable than Bowie

Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquinegra View Post
Have you looked in Glenn Dale? I think it might be a little bit more affordable than Bowie
It's actually more expensive.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
If you don't mind older housing stock, look for a home or townhouse to rent in the Levittown sections of Bowie. The T, S, F, M, H and W sections immediately come to mind, since they feed into the top-ranked Bowie elementary schools (Heather Hills, Tulip Grove, Whitehall). The R section is also a good section (Rockledge Elementary), and the K section as well (Kenilworth). I've heard good things about the P section (Pointer Ridge Elementary). I haven't had a chance to check into Pointer Ridge's AYP status for this year, however. There are some newer homes that are in these schools' boundaries, but not as many, and they are of course more expensive rent-wise. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM

49 posts, read 159,718 times
Thanks for the replies. The school information really helped a lot. I definitely want to rent in a place with the best public schools, and then eventually buy in that area, if we remain pleased with the schools!!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp0502 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The school information really helped a lot. I definitely want to rent in a place with the best public schools, and then eventually buy in that area, if we remain pleased with the schools!!
I'm a little confused. So are you currently renting in Laurel or did you buy? Also if you are living in Laurel now, is it necessary to rent in Bowie given that you live right next to Bowie? I'm not sure I understand the benefit of renting in Bowie when you're already in the area.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM

388 posts, read 848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm a little confused. So are you currently renting in Laurel or did you buy? Also if you are living in Laurel now, is it necessary to rent in Bowie given that you live right next to Bowie? I'm not sure I understand the benefit of renting in Bowie when you're already in the area.
Good point, I don't see Bowie as any better than laurel in any respects, in my opinion. I doubt houses would be much cheaper, and if they are it would probably not be in a very nice area. Bowie is very diverse and, while I've never had any issues in the areas that I've been, I've heard that Bowie has some rough areas.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Could be that OP just doesn't want to live in Laurel (although it's a nice, convenient place) and it is a matter of preference. Also, OP has a young child, and several Bowie elementary schools outrank Laurel's.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Could be that OP just doesn't want to live in Laurel (although it's a nice, convenient place) and it is a matter of preference. Also, OP has a young child, and several Bowie elementary schools outrank Laurel's.
I probably should have worded my statement better, but what I was asking is it really necessary to rent a place in Bowie since you live right there in Laurel. Couldn't she just buy since she is in the general vicinity and she probably can get a better idea of Bowie since she lives close to there. It wouldn't change anything for her to rent unless she plans on renting in the very neighborhood that she wants to buy in. Renting in a neighborhood that she isn't buying in is no different than continuing to live in Laurel, in my opinion.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
1) Maybe because they have the other home in NC and don't want to buy until that one is sold.

But yes, I agree, other than that reason, if you live in Laurel you should already have gleaned enough info to know where you'd want to live or buy in Bowie. Maybe not enough to know the area INTIMATELY - so I think that's what the OP is doing -- asking about exactly where in Bowie. as opposed to more general info.

I confess I live in Bowie and love my location but have to admit unless I know people personally I don't recommend my area. I don't need any people I don't know moving here who I don't know will be good neighbors, keep their house up, and noise down, and not have five cars per house parked on the street.

Bowie gets too much positive attention I don't want more people moving here.

2) As far as the other locations the poster is considering. that's what I don't get. They're so far apart: Bowie., Columbia, Silver Spring, Rockville or Gaithersburg.....well, where would you (or a partner or spouse) be commuting to?, would you rather live toward the north or east?....to me, THOSE are factors that influence where one might live.

I don't see how Bowie and Gaithersburg -- or Silver Spring and Columbia -- are even on the same list in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland