Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times

Advertisements

Hello! My fiancee & I are researching areas around College Park. He will be attending UMD so it's been my focus for all of this searching.

Here are our stats/expectations:
Both 25 yrs. old, he's a student, I will be working.
We have a large dog who will need lots of walking and playing outside.
We'd love to have at least 750 sq. ft. for 1200-1300 or less.

The aspect I would really like to see is a place that really embodies a more progressive way of life... cyclists, music, a great farmer's market, local shops, organic grocer/co-ops... You get the picture. They don't need to be next door; walkability and bikeability are nice but we're from the midwest, so trust me, anything in this area is a step in the right direction.

I don't mind if it's a little more rural of an area, especially if there is a great park or wilderness area nearby (I'm thinking around Greenbelt with the national park?) to walk the dog.

I know there are lots of these cool little pockets, but mostly they seem a little farther out from College Park. We're looking at 20-30 min. (or less!) commute, metro would be nice if possible.

I'm sure I'm not asking too much, but it's so hard to know where to fine-tune a search when you're not familiar with the area.
Any town/community/apartment or condo suggestions are MORE than welcome.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
You might like Mt. Rainier, MD. It's down the main highway to/from UMD. Farmer's market (I think), definitely a co-op, it's quite granola. It's not too far from the Metro (though you may wanna drive it).

A similar place would be Takoma Park, MD. That would be close to the Silver Spring Metro, which would require one transfer. It's a bit safer (not that Mt. Rainier is particularly bad or anything) but a bit pricier.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM

195 posts, read 473,650 times
Mt. Rainier is nice; Glut Food Co-Op is great, but the farmers market there is pretty small and has a short season. Takoma Park is much more expensive, but the farmers market is vibrant year-round.

Give Hyattsville a look: It's a little closer to the University, the farmer's market in neighboring Riverdale Park is great (the Tuesday one in Hyattsville itself is okay and has a shorter season), a public dog park on the west side of town, and growing retail and restaurant space on the east side of town, including a chain organic grocery. Two Metro stops are available and there are easy connections to the Anacostia trail system for biking.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM

70 posts, read 198,575 times
Ah, stuff white people like. Don't forget to check crime statistics.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,368 times
Cheverly....

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Based on your budget and hopes, I would start in the City of Greenbelt. Please note that anyplace with a Greenbelt address is not necessarily in the City of Greenbelt - there are some areas that have a Greenbelt postal address that embody none of the things you describe.

After that, I'd echo what other previous posters have said, Mt. Rainier, the City of Hyattsville (same situation as above with city vs. postal designations). There are also areas of Riverdale Park that are close enough to the City of Hyattsville to have the same feel, but I think rent will be slightly cheaper in Riverdale Park.

I think rent will be too high in Takoma Park.

Best wishes !

Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rock View Post
Ah, stuff white people like. Don't forget to check crime statistics.
yes, because non-whites just care about liquor stores and methadone clinics right?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 AM

94 posts, read 193,275 times
I think Takoma Park is worth a look. Also the Hollywood section of College Park

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 AM

70 posts, read 198,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
yes, because non-whites just care about liquor stores and methadone clinics right?
Do they?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Hyattsville (the Arts District if you can afford it)

The Neighborhoods of EYA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland