Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 14,175 times

Advertisements

I am deciding whether or not to rent an apartment in downtown Silver Spring despite my job being closer to Twinbrook Station. How reliable is the bus service out of Silver Spring? Is it something I can count on to get me to work on time?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Koop View Post
How reliable is the bus service out of Silver Spring? Is it something I can count on to get me to work on time?
I mapped out a route with the WMATA trip planner, and you would probably be OK if you only make one transfer. (They have you ride the train to Wheaton or Glenmont, and catch a C4 or 26 bus.) The buses are held to a schedule, and the drivers try to stick to it, but it can get interferred with by accidents and bad weather. The major problem with the trip is that it is going out of the city in the AM, and the C4 buses are 20 minutes apart, and the Ride-on 26 bus is 30 minutes apart. So if you miss one, how bad of an impression would it make on your job?

I suggest you use the trip planner with your proposed apartment, and see how tolerable you find the commute. BTW, the Twinbrook area is not very pedestrian friendly as you can see from the Google view. If it were my choice, I would find an apartment along the bus route, like along Viers Mill Road.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-02-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I mapped out a route with the WMATA trip planner, and you would probably be OK if you only make one transfer. (They have you ride the train to Wheaton or Glenmont, and catch a C4 or 26 bus.) The buses are held to a schedule, and the drivers try to stick to it, but it can get interferred with by accidents and bad weather. The major problem with the trip is that it is going out of the city in the AM, and the C4 buses are 20 minutes apart, and the Ride-on 26 bus is 30 minutes apart. So if you miss one, how bad of an impression would it make on your job?

I suggest you use the trip planner with your proposed apartment, and see how tolerable you find the commute. BTW, the Twinbrook area is not very pedestrian friendly as you can see from the Google view. If it were my choice, I would find an apartment along the bus route, like along Viers Mill Road.
Be sure to note the hours the bus(es) run, if there's any chance you'll sometimes work early/stay late. I lived a mile from the Glenmont Metro station for a while, and if I didn't want to talk would rely on a Montgomery Ride-On bus, but some lines are aimed at commuters and the buses may not run very often late at night or on weekends. Remember what it'll be like changing buses at an open-air bus stop during snow, thunderstorm, etc.

On the plus side, "downtown" SS (it's not actually a town, but an unincorporated part of Montgomery County, so technically it may not be considered a downtown) is increasingly active, with restaurants, clubs, shops, etc. I lived in a townhouse on East-West Highway west of the SS Metro station before buying a house out near Glenmont.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
There's quite a few routes from SS area over to the Rockville side. Some are Metrobus and some are Ride-On buses. In my experience they are very reliable. Montgomery County is well served with bus routes (except that they stop running too early on some routes). The trip planner is pretty good, but sometimes there are quicker options than the results it gives. For example, we can cut 30 minutes off of our long commute by walking a few blocks over to a different route rather than using the closest stop. Study the routes and maps and see if you can find something like that. With all of the route options you will have there is bound to be something.

Ride-on bus info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland