Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times

Advertisements

Since you're new to MD I have a short political quiz for you.

Q: You live in a Town and notice a water main leak in the street outside your house. Who do you call to report the leak?

A) The Town Hall so they can alert the Public Works Department to make repairs.
B) The County Commissioner from your County Election District.
C) The State Delegate from your District.
D) The State Senator from your District.
E) Your Congressman.

Well, I'd call WSSC, but I'm in an unincorporated area. If I were in a real town with a Public Works Department, I'd call them directly (I'd look for an emergency number), so I guess that equates to A.

Would the correct answer vary from place to place? My impression is that there's a lot of variation regarding which services are covered by the County and which are covered by the town and the DC suburbs are even stranger with things like WSSC and MNCPPC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Since you're new to MD I have a short political quiz for you.

Q: You live in a Town and notice a water main leak in the street outside your house. Who do you call to report the leak?

A) The Town Hall so they can alert the Public Works Department to make repairs.
B) The County Commissioner from your County Election District.
C) The State Delegate from your District.
D) The State Senator from your District.
E) Your Congressman.

Well, I'd call WSSC, but I'm in an unincorporated area. If I were in a real town with a Public Works Department, I'd call them directly (I'd look for an emergency number), so I guess that equates to A.

Would the correct answer vary from place to place? My impression is that there's a lot of variation regarding which services are covered by the County and which are covered by the town and the DC suburbs are even stranger with things like WSSC and MNCPPC.

In much of MD, hell most of MD, the correct answer is any combination of B, C, D and E. A, while the common sense answer most places, is incorrect for the mind set in much of MD. The example is a real one a couple years ago that I ran into.

Since you've now been in-serviced I have another couple of questions. See if you get them right:

Q: You believe your community needs new playground equipment. Whom do you contact to make your belief known?:
A) Your local government (Town or County)
B) Your State Delegate
C) Your State Senator
D) Your Congressman

Q: You see someone breaking into your neighbor's house while they are away. What is your response?
A) Call 911 to report a burglary in progress
B) Tell people about it when you go to the Post Office tomorrow
C) Mention it to a Deputy Sheriff the next time you see one
D) Go to the next Town Council meeting in 3 weeks and ask the Council members if they knew that your neighbor's house had been broken into. When asked by a council member if you called 911 to report it you respond, "No, I wanted to wait until tonight to tell you". You then tell the Deputy Sheriff in attendance that you're tired of them not doing their job and stopping these break-ins.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
This thread refers to what one LIKES in PG County, not the county's perceived deficits in comparison to other counties in the region, comparisons between other school systems, etc. State-level politics are for the general Maryland sub-forum, and are not exclusive to PG County, or the Washington Suburbs in Maryland. Please save the off-topic comments for threads in which such commentary may be appropriate, but please remember that this thread was started to see what others LIKE in PG County. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM

22 posts, read 53,161 times
OK...

I like the rolling hills and all the greenery. I love how it's not over developed and there is still farm land stamped all over the countryside. I love the close proximity to both a major city and the boonies. Still not far at all from Bmore or Philly or the eastern shore. Just 30 minutes from Annapolis (non-traffic hours).

I also love the history of this county.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Wow. The moderator comes in and things get quiet. lol I guess it's no fun unless PG is being picked on.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Well, I kind of like the University of Maryland because I went to college there and had a girl friend for about 2 weeks.

Actually, my entire current livelihood is based off that degree. Isn't UMCP one of the largest universities on the east coast?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydreamer View Post
well, i kind of like the university of maryland because i went to college there and had a girl friend for about 2 weeks.

Actually, my entire current livelihood is based off that degree. Isn't umcp one of the largest universities on the east coast?
lol

Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wow. The moderator comes in and things get quiet. lol I guess it's no fun unless PG is being picked on.
It appears that way. Although technically one could answer the question by replying, "nothing" and stating why.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 53,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It appears that way. Although technically one could answer the question by replying, "nothing" and stating why.

but that would be off topic again.

it's what you like about pg county.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM

219 posts, read 595,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
this thread refers to what one likes in pg county, not the county's perceived deficits in comparison to other counties in the region, comparisons between other school systems, etc. State-level politics are for the general maryland sub-forum, and are not exclusive to pg county, or the washington suburbs in maryland. Please save the off-topic comments for threads in which such commentary may be appropriate, but please remember that this thread was started to see what others like in pg county. Thank you.

thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland