Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 85,992 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for a teaching position with Montgomery County Schools. I have five years of experience and an amazing resume with a lot of experience/accolades, so I know I could get hired if I file an application. I live in Fayetteville NC currently but my salary has remained stagnant (the state has had us on a pay freeze for 4 years) and I feel like I need to move somewhere that I will earn a better salary.

However, I know the cost of living in the D.C. metro area is high. I can afford up to $1,400/month by myself for a place to live based on what my new salary would be--I used paycheckcity.com to figure out approximate net pay. That said, after rent, I'd still have left about $1,800 (which is what I currently make per month!). How far would $1,800 go in D.C.? How much are groceries, utilities, etc.? I feel like I'd be really poor, and if I'm going to be poor anyway maybe I'm better off staying here and not spending a lot on a move. But, I'm asking anyway just in case.

I am single so I'd be living by myself, and for purposes of this thread I'll say in a one bed one bath apartment--I'm about to turn 27. I'd really prefer to avoid roommates if I can. I'd also like to live in a walkable area, closer to metro if I can, because I'm a really social person and I'd like easy access to everything in the area. It seems like proximity to metro = more money.

If there are any Montgomery Co. teachers on here, could you weigh in with your opinion of the school system too, from an employee standpoint?

How is the singles scene? In Fayetteville it's pretty much only Army men and I'd like to meet a wider variety of singles.

My cousin and her fiance live on the NoVa side so they could help me get situated when/if I do this.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Potts View Post
How much are groceries, utilities, etc.?
Since we moved from Montgomery County to North Carolina, I can say that food bills are about the same. Food may be a bit more in NC since they apply the 2% sales tax to food, while MD does not.

Utilities are about the same, but water may be more expensive in NC.

The big difference will be rent and income taxes.

I think your main criterion will be whether the job change would enhance your career. The larger school system in MoCo would probably offer you more opportunities and challenges.

Plus, your social live would improve if you want to meet men who have jobs besides the Army!

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-06-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM

How high are the income taxes in MD?

I don't know if a move there would necessarily "enhance" my career, but I do know the pay/benefits would be considerably better, even when accounting for the cost of living. Even though rent doubles it seems like I'll still have a ton of money left if groceries/utilities are what you say they are.

I'm hoping, if I'm lucky, to find an apartment and a school that are both close to public transit so that I don't have to have a car anymore. Even if I have to do some kind of bus/metro combo to pull it off. It's impossible to do that where I currently live!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
MD State Income tax is levied on a sliding scale from 2.5% up to around 8% (for really high earners).

I don't remember what Step 1 is in Montgomery, which is what you should plan on because the school systems in this area are in retrenching mode and aren't really paying step for out of state experience anymore. They will start you at Master's step if you have that.

I don't know where you're coming from but expect your car insurance to go up in the Metro area. As mentioned food prices are a bit higher than in some places but there isn't a sales tax on it. But MD does levy a sales tax on more products, such as clothes, than other states.

If in Montgomery expect to need your car to get to work, yes there's the Metro system but a teacher in the suburbs really can't count on it for work.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't remember what Step 1 is in Montgomery, which is what you should plan on because the school systems in this area are in retrenching mode and aren't really paying step for out of state experience anymore. They will start you at Master's step if you have that.
Um. If that's the case, then I'm all of a sudden NOT interested anymore. That would put me at a salary level where I'd have to have a roommate to make it. No thanks.

I will have to call the HR office tomorrow and ask--just to be sure.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,296 times
We moved from the Triangle area in NC to MD--our housing costs increased substantially, but the electricity / gas bills also doubled and we moved into a townhome that was 1/2 the size of our former house. The townhome here is built more cheaply, has cheap bad windows, and leaks more air--even though it was built around the same time by the same builder as our house in NC.

It is colder here in winter, and about the same temp in summer as NC, so that factors into the bills as well. A lot of the housing here is older.

Car insurance also went up substantially, and we are a bit older than you. You might just want to call and get an estimate if you are serious about moving.

There is a state and a county income tax, in addition to federal taxes.

Also factor in new winter clothing, if you tend to be cold. I was *freezing* with my winter clothes from NC and needed to buy warmer pants, sweaters, shoes, and coats.

I have also noticed there seems to be more emphasis on money and status than I saw in NC. There is more money and status here, so that may be part of it! We have really had to cut back our spending to deal with the higher bills.

Also cheaper housing prices usually = either further away from walkable areas / metro access OR higher crime areas.

It could be a good move for you, but I would not move only for financial reasons. Also, if you are really disciplined when it comes to money and stick to a pretty strict budget, you could make it work. Otherwise, I think some of the "extra" money will be sucked up by expenses once you get here. If you have other reasons to be in MD--family, better social life, meeting different guys, want to try a more urban environment, pursue different hobbies, etc... it could be great!

You also might want try posting again with an estimate of how much you are willing to pay for rent in the title and ask for possible places to live that are walkable. That might give you an idea where you might be able to afford.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
I think the first step is to contact the Mo Co school system and ask them about your starting pay, and the chances of you getting hired. I worked as a sub there, for a while, but that's a whole other ball game. What school, what level, what subject, all figure into the calculation. How many openings are there now? How many other people with amazing resumes are applying, and what items in that resume will the district consider as important for them?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,667 times
MCPS salary info is here: Employee Salary Schedules Montgomery County Public Schools

Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
On the MD Income Tax, each County receives a percentage of your State tax in addition to what you pay the state called the piggyback income tax. The percentage for most Counties is 50% or so (I think Montgomery may be 55%). What that means is if your MD Income Tax is $1000 your income tax obligation to your County of residence is an additional $500 (which your employer deducts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland