Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 AM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times

Advertisements

I was told that the week between Christmas and New Year will be light-traffic during rush hours. Therefore, I was thinking of driving to work instead of taking the Metro during that week.

I want to know the easiest/fastest route to take during both morning rush hour (8am) and evening hour (between 5:30pm and 6pm) back to Rockville.

FYI, I live near Rockville Pike (355) in Rockville, MD, and work at 1010 N Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA.

I found a route 495 -> Rt 66 -> N Glebe Rd. However, I was told it would be faster to use George Washington Pkwy. I don't know where to exit from GW Pkwy to get on to N Glebe Rd.

Would appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I found a route 495 -> Rt 66 -> N Glebe Rd. However, I was told it would be faster to use George Washington Pkwy. I don't know where to exit from GW Pkwy to get on to N Glebe Rd.
Would appreciate any input!
GW Parkway has limited exits. I think that the Route 123 Chain Bridge Road East exit in McLean is the only way to get to North Glebe Road. Chain Bridge intersects with North Glebe Road. Try Mapquest to confirm this. BTW, I also used to work in that area, and lived in Silver Spring. It was sometimes better to go thru the District and go west on 66.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Take GW Parkway to Route 50 west exit and follow Route 50 to the 10th Street exit. Take that down to Glebe area. It won't take long.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Take GW Parkway to Route 50 west exit and follow Route 50 to the 10th Street exit. Take that down to Glebe area. It won't take long.
This sounds easy. However, after taking a look at the map, it seems that the connection between GW Parkway and Route 50 is complicated. Is there a big sign for exit to Route 50 from GW Parkway?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
This sounds easy. However, after taking a look at the map, it seems that the connection between GW Parkway and Route 50 is complicated. Is there a big sign for exit to Route 50 from GW Parkway?
Yes there's a big (sort of) brown sign. It will say "Rosslyn" and several other destinations on it. If you were coming down the Parkway, you will notice people merging onto the Parkway from the Spout Run Parkway. There will be three lanes becoming two lanes. Then the road curves to the left and you go under the Key bridge. There is an exit for the Key Bridge as the road curves back to the right. Don't exit there. Rt. 50 exit is the next exit just a little ways up the road from there. Exit right and keep right when it splits. The right fork will take you on to west bound Rt. 50. Watch the left as traffic coming from the left has right of way. Then just take 50 to 10th street exit. It will be harder to find the 10th street exit than the Rt.50 exit from the Parkway. Don't worry though. If you miss it, just turn right at the next light (Pershing Dr) and take it to the next light and turn right on Washington Blvd. That will get you to the Ballston area.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes there's a big (sort of) brown sign. It will say "Rosslyn" and several other destinations on it. If you were coming down the Parkway, you will notice people merging onto the Parkway from the Spout Run Parkway. There will be three lanes becoming two lanes. Then the road curves to the left and you go under the Key bridge. There is an exit for the Key Bridge as the road curves back to the right. Don't exit there. Rt. 50 exit is the next exit just a little ways up the road from there. Exit right and keep right when it splits. The right fork will take you on to west bound Rt. 50. Watch the left as traffic coming from the left has right of way. Then just take 50 to 10th street exit. It will be harder to find the 10th street exit than the Rt.50 exit from the Parkway. Don't worry though. If you miss it, just turn right at the next light (Pershing Dr) and take it to the next light and turn right on Washington Blvd. That will get you to the Ballston area.
Your directions are good, because it was easy for me to follow. It took me only about 40 minutes to get to my work location on late Sunday afternoon (I haven't driven to work M-F yet due to fear of traffic on 495).

However, my return trip was not as smooth, because I had not expected getting lost. I took 10th Street. Then I saw two signs almost side by side, one for Rt 50 East and the other one for Key Bridge. I took Rt 50 East.

Then I saw a sign for George Washington Parkway (GWP) so I took it. Things then went terribly wrong, because it was heading south!

It took me quite a while to get to GWP north, a long story.

Just a question: How can I get to GWP north from my work location in Ballston?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
Your directions are good, because it was easy for me to follow. It took me only about 40 minutes to get to my work location on late Sunday afternoon (I haven't driven to work M-F yet due to fear of traffic on 495).

However, my return trip was not as smooth, because I had not expected getting lost. I took 10th Street. Then I saw two signs almost side by side, one for Rt 50 East and the other one for Key Bridge. I took Rt 50 East.

Then I saw a sign for George Washington Parkway (GWP) so I took it. Things then went terribly wrong, because it was heading south!

have you even tried the metro? it is only 2 short trains away ya know. use red line to farragut north then use the passageway to reach farragut west and use orange line it should be WAY FASTER than driving. Ohh they now combined the stations

Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
have you even tried the metro? it is only 2 short trains away ya know. use red line to farragut north then use the passageway to reach farragut west and use orange line it should be WAY FASTER than driving. Ohh they now combined the stations
Is the passageway easy to find between Farragut North and Farragut West? Can you give me some clue on how to find the passageway at Farragut North station (and also at Farragut West station)?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
Is the passageway easy to find between Farragut North and Farragut West? Can you give me some clue on how to find the passageway at Farragut North station (and also at Farragut West station)?
yup they just built it check their website?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Sorry about that. If you're on Rt. 50 east but want GWP north, there are two options. The first, and easiest, is to take the Rosslyn exit, go through Rosslyn and just before entering the Key Bridge there will be two left turn lanes which lead onto the GWP.

If for some reason you miss the Rosslyn exit and end up on the GWP southbound then take the first exit for Memorial Bridge. Turn right at the stop sign. When you get to the big traffic circle you want to around to the turn right after the one that would take you onto the bridge (I mean - do not go onto the bridge - go around the circle a bit more to the next exit). Yield sign there. When traffic clears, go straight (onto the exit) and keep right at each fork. You will end up on the GWP.

I want to give youi my preferred alternate though. I take 50 east and when you see the split for GWP Southbound or 50 east into Washingtonl, take the left fork (50 east). Once you're on the bridge (Roosevelt bridge), merge overk carefully to the far left lane. At the end of the bridge, take the left exit towards E st. but keep left on the exit towards the Whitehurst Fwy. You will see signs. Take the right exit and then left fork for the whitehurst. Follow it to the end at the traffic light. Turn left there and left again at the 2nd light onto Canal rd. Follow Canal Rd all the way until you see an left exit for 495. Take the weird S shaped exit and merge onto the Clara Barton Pkwy. Just up the road will be a right exit onto the Cabin John Pkwy. Take that to 495.

These directions sound complicated, but once you do it you'll discover it.s not that hard.

Oh and one other option to the GWP from Ballston would be Glebe Rd north all the way to the Chain bridge. Turn left just before the bridge (at the light). Drive a mile or so to the GWP entrance. This one is simple, but traffic on the chain bridge rd is awful (however, it's only a little over a mile).

Take your pick, or give each a try. Up to you. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland