Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 PM

81 posts, read 349,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The most dangerous parts of PG are the areas that border SE Washington like; Glassmanor neighborhood of Oxon Hill, the iverson mall area, Kentland, Palmer Park, Landover, and Adelphi. I'm sure there are others to avoid but these are the ones i hear the most crime comes out of.
There is a reason why Kentland Volunteer Fire Department is the busiest volunteer fire department in the country .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
What you are doing is generalizing the entire county as a whole. PG county do have excellent schools not all of PG county schools are not good schools. PG county have plenty of blue ribbon schools. Pg county have plenty of successful family friendly people. I pay $500 a month in Property tax and I am getting my money worth. My community school is up to par with schools in Chevy Chase/Bethesda in Montgomery county. I get trash pick up twice a week.

What the hell are you talking about. If these poor people can pay $500 and more a month in property tax well that tell me they are not poor. Why are you only labeling the entire county as poor. Do you know majority of people buying these 500k and up homes are young Blacks which prove that the system is working. Poor people are everywhere in your county.

Well maybe you need to visit the poorer areas in Montgomery county.
Iscalder.....if you can't understand my post I'm sorry. I wasn't generalizing about the whole county. But I was saying that the whole county needs to be mad as hell about the county as a whole. (IE - crime and the status of the school system) .

I'm glad that your very successful and that's great. That you tout PG county as a successful majority African American and I don't want to take away from that progress at all in my words.

But if you think you get your moneys worth paying $500 a month in property taxes I'd like to know how you justify it when you say you live 10 minute's from low income families whose schools are left behind. Especially the neighborhoods inside the beltway.

All I'm saying is that policies of the past local government have been the same when it was mostly "White" liberals running things , or whether its African American liberals running things now. It seems to me it time for a radical change of policies that are at least moderate to conservative. The system maybe working for you or at least that's what you think. I don't think your giving yourself and your husband enough credit? I think your successful right now because you two WORKED HARD TO GET WHERE YOUR ARE TODAY!!!

Continuing to just throw money at the problem is not always the answer.
Spreading the WEALTH doesn't work it's spreading "OPPORTUNITY" that works best.

Wouldn't it be nice if teachers could JUST TEACH again? Instead of having to play social worker , guidance counselor, Mommy and Daddy etc , etc. Wouldn't it be nice to have an alternative to the NEA union that doesn't bend for any reason, even if some new idea WOULD benefit CHILDREN....it is about the children isn't it?

I think it would be great for PG county to be the MOST successful county in the United States with a majority of African Americans at the helm. It doesn't matter what race it is, like I've said before I've lived all over I know that there are places that are majority minorities that run successful municipalities with little or no "Racial Tension" it was a great place to live. Crime was low, violent crime was almost "0".

I'm 41 and I know that before I die (of old age that is) that PG can turn around totally and be a great place to raise a family whether they live in Seat Pleasant ,Oxon Hill or Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Ft.Washington or wherever.
It is possible to be done and should be a goal of those who are really concerned and want true change.

Quote:
RaisedWell : I understand your post and the points you make are good but why are you stating how mad you would be in reference to a county you don't live in. I don't get it.

I'm mad about a lot of things in Prince Georges and I can say that because I live here. I'm here to stay, to serve and try to change things.
RaisedWell first of all I appreciate the fact your a teacher..I really do. Second after a 12 year absence of Maryland due to job opportunities and for the last 6 years married to an Active Duty member of the Navy (my wife)I am back in Maryland again with mixed emotions.

My wife was recently giving orders to Bethesda Naval Hospital and when I started to do research on housing and reasonable areas to live in Montgomery County close to my wife's work. My wife is only an enlisted person and we don't make alot of money. I was surprised to find that Montgomery Co. was in some ways going the way of PG county as far as crime. I was shocked!

I was born at Cafritz Hospital(Greater Southeast) on Southern Ave in DC . I was raised in Clinton and lived there till I was 20 and moved to Greenbelt until I left Maryland for a job opportunity in Florida. I had mixed emotions about leaving my home state and never thought I would leave ever.

But I worked in some of the roughest neighborhoods of DC and PG and it took its toll on me to watch a population be racked over by policies that were put into effect to help them but really kept them down and somewhat a prisoner to the system. In the 12 years or so I worked there I saw generations of families get in the trap with little or no hope for themselves. It was frustrating watching this as it must be for yourself today in the school system you work in I'm guessing.

I was a plumber and worked 95% of my time in DC and PG county inside the Beltway. I saw the worst of the worst of neighborhoods of both DC and PG and worked directly in these homes/apartment complexes day in day out.

It took me leaving to realize that after a while of working in those areas that I had "blinders" on and now coming back to the area that I can't put those blinders back on...just can't do it. But I'm also one person of a different ideology of the greater DC area. (I'm conservative).

But just because I'm conservative I do wish that if "Liberal" policies actually worked I'd be all for it. I do believe there can be a comprimise and that it's truly time that Prince Georgians take a real look at the who's running the county and it's time for new ideas.

I do believe that government has a role in lifting up people from rough times , but that government is not the end all answer to the problem.

This is why I wrote that post....although I don't live in the county I was raised in I do still care about its well being.

Last edited by bunky3301; 10-21-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,197,738 times
Thank you bunky for your response. I'm a conservative too. We are on the same page.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
So what changes do the citizens of P.G. need to make in order to make a better name for the county?

I love my people but sometimes I feel we have a bunch of conferences, feel good about them and let it ride out for at least 6 months and boom right back into the same mess that we tried to acknowledge and work through. This is something I want to hear about.

My frustrations with P.G. and the reason I left, is it wasn't so much crime, it was paying a lot in taxes, housing is really ridiculous. One person at my job who recently moved to Gainesville, VA said he left because of the affordability factor, high taxes, the schools, and the customer service He said man you get more of a value living there. Now mind you I'm not trying to live an hour a way from my job, but I had to listen to him. Like many of us that were raised in P.G. a lot has changed. from a rise in Gang violence (they got them in Surrattsville High School. The freaken suburbs, what's up with that) to ineffective Policies.

What is your point of view on this issue?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
So what changes do the citizens of P.G. need to make in order to make a better name for the county?

I love my people but sometimes I feel we have a bunch of conferences, feel good about them and let it ride out for at least 6 months and boom right back into the same mess that we tried to acknowledge and work through. This is something I want to hear about.

My frustrations with P.G. and the reason I left, is it wasn't so much crime, it was paying a lot in taxes, housing is really ridiculous. One person at my job who recently moved to Gainesville, VA said he left because of the affordability factor, high taxes, the schools, and the customer service He said man you get more of a value living there. Now mind you I'm not trying to live an hour a way from my job, but I had to listen to him. Like many of us that were raised in P.G. a lot has changed. from a rise in Gang violence (they got them in Surrattsville High School. The freaken suburbs, what's up with that) to ineffective Policies.

What is your point of view on this issue?
Everyone on this forum already know I love living in PG county lets get that out the way. I do see improvements in the county. I do see the county changing in a positive way. I do not mind paying higher taxes. The schools in my surrounding area are excellent so we are getting our money worth and when you live in an area where people can afford $500 in property tax a month those are usually parents who are 100% involve int heir children education.

As far as gangs in schools this is happening every where not only in PG county. My 3 nephews attend Montgomery high school. They were attending High point until they moved to silver Spring yes Montgomery County. First week of schools they were jumped by a gang. Who beat 2 of them so bad that they were admitted in to the hospital. One of my nephew's nose was broken and his face was swollen so bad that it was blue. Just because someone lives in the suburb does not mean they are 100% perfect as a matter of fact I think the weirdest people live in the suburbs.

Whenever I travel outside of America and visit third world country I always feel safer in the poorest part of the country. Whenever I go to Baltimore city I feel safe in teh poorest areas for some reason. Just because you live int eh poor area I do not see you as a murder/killer. Just because you live in the suburb I do not see you as a person who will not kill/murder.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM

You are definitely right. I myself love P.G. and maybe it will take my wife and I a while to live in the town we really want to. Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Fort Washington are the areas I wanted to live in, but was price out of them. I grew up in Suitland and Clinton. But when I moved to Waldorf, our house and car insurance dropped. There is less crime, but again that was never my reason for leaving and schools are better. Well at least my wife is satisfied. It's a shame though cause what we save in insurance we definitely put it back in gas and car maintence. Not to mention, I get home pretty late don't have a lot of time to spend with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generation View Post
Housing is actually not that expensive in PG compared to other counties in this area. A house in Woodmore selling for 1 mil would probably go for 2 mil in McLean or Potomac. But, PG's taxes are way higher than other counties.

If you leave PG, your taxes will be lower, your insurance premiums will be lower, and you will have less crime and better schools and more job options.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Your right, I guess I've believe in staying in the community I grew up in. Much of the middle class is getting squeezed out of P.G. that is why there is a lot of people flocking to Charles County. If I had the money I would have stayed in P.G. I don't mind paying more for both peace of mind and having more time with the kids. Just my thought. But I agree with you.
Quote:
In the long run, what you are doing is what's best for your family and that's what counts. Jobs come and go, but financially, academically, and safety speaking, you made a good decision.

That's a big reason why the black population is growing in Charles County as people flee PG not just b/c of the housing costs, but exactly the reasons you listed.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I agree with you on every point. However there has to be some good schools in the county. It's not all that bad. As for the corporate tax base, They do have plans go check out PG economic development plans. Also Brac is relocating a lot of jobs to Andrews. So it will change. I don't know if that change will drive up home prices.
Quote:
If you just think about the home prices in PG, they are very much affordable. It's the total cost of living in PG that's ridiculous for what you pay for in taxes. At least it's progress. I believe they are trying to change, but for a lot of us it just isn't fast enough.

Living in PG would be much more affordable, minus housing, if:

a) the schools weren't so bad/mediocre that many parents have to put their kids in private $chool,

b) the taxes weren't so unjustifiably high to make up for the lack of a strong corporate tax base,

c) residents have to pay special taxes for more police power in Bowie, Greenbelt, New Carrollton, etc. where their taxes are already paying for PG County Cop service,

d) residents didn't have to drive to FFX, MC, HC, and DC for jobs because PG lacks many white collar jobs and large companies meaning more wear and tear on cars and time on the road,

e) residents didn't have to drive to other counties to shop because Largo Town Center and Bowie Town Center have less desirable and much smaller sized chain stores,

f) the lack of appreciation in home value and lack of large pool of buyers because of the aforementioned reasons. Let's be honest. Of all the new communities going up in PG, about 98% of the homes in these communities are being purchased by Blacks. Therefore, that's a big problem when it comes time for you to sell in that community. The pool of potential people looking to buy your investment is much, much smaller, so your investment suffers.

g) high cost of home insurance, car insurance, etc. due to the high rate of crime in PG,

h) etc.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Your right, I guess I've believe in staying in the community I grew up in. Much of the middle class is getting squeezed out of P.G. that is why there is a lot of people flocking to Charles County. If I had the money I would have stayed in P.G. I don't mind paying more for both peace of mind and having more time with the kids. Just my thought. But I agree with you.
So are you stating that you like living in PG county but if you could afford to live in PG county then you would move here?

I think those who flock to Charles County are those who are low income.
I went to a few builders open homes in PG county where the prices are 850k and up and when I look at those who are living in the community it is young educated blacks sometimes I feel like knocking on these people doors and asking them what they do for a living and if their company is hiring.
People make it seems as if there are no poor whites or I guess we call them working class people but when referring to poor Blacks we just call them either inner city or poor blacks.

I see nothing but successful Blacks in PG county and those who are trying to move up in live but people on this forum place every PG county citizen as we all want to move out of PG county which is not true. I have never spoke to any of my neighbor and hear one mentioned moving to Charles County. Most of my neighbors do not even go to Charles County.

I love love love living in PG county and I am blessed that my family can afford living here and be among such wonderful family going people. No I do not have to live among whites to feel safe. I live among very educated blacks who are as nice/family friendly and care about their communities are whites.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM

I went to a few existing open homes and I have notice more and more whites looking to buy in the area.
You generation come off as a racist. What you doing is generalizing the county as a whole.

f) the lack of appreciation in home value and lack of large pool of buyers because of the aforementioned reasons. Let's be honest. Of all the new communities going up in PG, about 98% of the homes in these communities are being purchased by Blacks. Therefore, that's a big problem when it comes time for you to sell in that community.

What??? Lack of appreciation. We do not need whites no longer to purchase our homes or living in our community for appreciation. Blacks do not need to have timmy in our class to have excellent schools. Are you a member of the KKK

e) residents didn't have to drive to other counties to shop because Largo Town Center and Bowie Town Center have less desirable and much smaller sized chain stores,

What??? Why are you so stuck on this one shopping center. I think both of these shopping centers are nice but since you say PG county resident have no shopping/dining except these two can you find me any thing in the other Counties in Maryland that have anything close to The national Harbor as a matter of fact here
is the website so you can google other areas in MD that might have better upscale dining/entertainment/shopping then what we have here is gorgeous Prince Georges

National Harbor

I think you are still think as PG County 10 yrs ago. Do you know PG county have plenty of new shopping centers/mall. We have everything in PG County and if its not here it will be here in the next yr or so. I hear people complain or PG county does not have a whole foods guess what we will in couple of months. I hear PG county does not have upscale shopping/entertainment yes we do now. What about the National Harbor. No county in Maryland have anything that can even compare to the dining/entertainment as PG county but yet those are over looked. We have it all here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland