U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Developing Property Near Bowie State
Good Idea! When do we build?!?! 12 60.00%
Bad Idea! Are they insane?!?! 5 25.00%
Not sure. Sell me on it. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 AM

6,725 posts, read 8,199,432 times

Advertisements

Prince George’s County weighs options for developing property near Bowie State University (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/prince-georges-county-weighs-options-for-developing-property-near-bowie-state-university/2011/12/27/gIQA5pZVKP_story.html - broken link)

Quote:
BOWIE, Md. — A board weighing the fate of 200 acres of property near Bowie State University is expected to make a recommendation next year about what to do with the land.
Among the options for the county-owned land are a mixed-use development and a training facility for the Washington Redskins.

Do you think this is a good idea or a bad one? Or are you not sure? Please explain your answers. (Sounds like an exam question)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

12,323 posts, read 23,118,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
[Do you think this is a good idea or a bad one?
My only view of Bowie State came from riding the Camden Line for a month. If the property is within a short distance of the train line, I think it is a great idea to encourage residents of the new housing to use public transportation. I think they should plan for some moderate income townhouses and condo, not just SFH's.

I am not in favor of using it as the Redskins training facility. Enough public money has already been spent on those turkeys!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM

18,603 posts, read 17,976,526 times
PG needs all the development it can get in particular of the commercial variety.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM

10,136 posts, read 12,750,253 times
I'm in the middle on this one. On one hand that area is definitely under developed, but I think it would be a mistake to rely on the MARC train as something to develop around. The MARC train is very limited and will not bring in the riders that a Metro would. There's a reason why most of their stations and the VRE stations have little to no development around them. I'm okay if they make it a place for people to work at, but if they are looking for a shopping destination it will fail. It is too secluded an area for it to be successful without more traffic to that area and only employment can provide that on a regular basis.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,383,759 times
I agree with meatkins. The MARC limited services defeats the purpose of mixed-used development. Jobs maybe, but a shopping place, people can go down the road for that. Job growth can make use the MARC trains during the weekday.

Environmental impact should be taken into consideration.
This planning shouldn't be rushed. It obviously needs more studying.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,086,277 times
The Marc system is limited due to the lack of funding it gets from the state , but there are plans too add trains every 5-10 peak ,and every 30mins off peak. This plan would affect the Penn & Camden lines and future lines to Harrisburg , Warminster , LA Plata. This plan requires 1 Billion in system improvements and more Rail cars....

Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,750,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Marc system is limited due to the lack of funding it gets from the state , but there are plans too add trains every 5-10 peak ,and every 30mins off peak. This plan would affect the Penn & Camden lines and future lines to Harrisburg , Warminster , LA Plata. This plan requires 1 Billion in system improvements and more Rail cars....
I would be a little concerned if they would expand it to weekend service in regards to this site. If they get weekend trains then that would be great, but without it, I'm not sure it will work. Most people who go do their major shopping, do it on the weekend. That's why I believe that would be necessary if they do make it a shopping destination.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My only view of Bowie State came from riding the Camden Line for a month. If the property is within a short distance of the train line, I think it is a great idea to encourage residents of the new housing to use public transportation. I think they should plan for some moderate income townhouses and condo, not just SFH's.

I am not in favor of using it as the Redskins training facility. Enough public money has already been spent on those turkeys!
Watch your mouth! The Redskins are just one good QB away.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM

6,725 posts, read 8,199,432 times
I would take the train to Arundel Mills from somewhere like Riverdale. That would be worth it. But I agree that trains should be more frequent and have weekend schedules to support more activity and residents in that area. In addition to trains, you would have to add bus lines, etc. Much is the same for Konterra. How are they going to move all those people in and out of the new development while not causing too much impact to traffic on I-95 and Rt. 1? To be honest, the Green Line could be extended from Greenbelt station to support Konterra. And then continue north along I-95 in phases all the way to BWI with the Bowie development in the works as one of the stops.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm in the middle on this one. On one hand that area is definitely under developed, but I think it would be a mistake to rely on the MARC train as something to develop around. The MARC train is very limited and will not bring in the riders that a Metro would. There's a reason why most of their stations and the VRE stations have little to no development around them. I'm okay if they make it a place for people to work at, but if they are looking for a shopping destination it will fail. It is too secluded an area for it to be successful without more traffic to that area and only employment can provide that on a regular basis.
They're relying on MARC? Yeah have to agree on this one. I mean look at Penn Station in Baltimore it's not exactly booming and the Camden station doesn't appear all that busy either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland