U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,045 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Montgomery County for a while and I've lived in DC for the past 11 years. However, I saw the Marlboro Ridge community in Upper Marlboro and I'm interested in finding out more information about the area. I've always heard of PG county as having such a bad reputation but I know two good friends who live in both Upper Marlboro and one lives in Akkokeek (?) which I believe is not too far off. Its not toooooo far from dc (though it took me about 40 min when I drove sometime during the weekday at around 7:30pm). I'm hesitant to move to that area because I know nothing about it except for the times I've visited those two friends. I'm expecting a baby soon and my elderly parents are moving to help me with their first grandchild. I'd just hate to make the investment of buying into a county I don't know too well (BUT I'm open to it) and I'm worried about their safety.

Can anyone provide information about either the county OR about Marlboro Ridge? I'd love to hear from people who own a home in the Toll Brothers community.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie24 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been living in Montgomery County for a while and I've lived in DC for the past 11 years. However, I saw the Marlboro Ridge community in Upper Marlboro and I'm interested in finding out more information about the area. I've always heard of PG county as having such a bad reputation but I know two good friends who live in both Upper Marlboro and one lives in Akkokeek (?) which I believe is not too far off. Its not toooooo far from dc (though it took me about 40 min when I drove sometime during the weekday at around 7:30pm). I'm hesitant to move to that area because I know nothing about it except for the times I've visited those two friends. I'm expecting a baby soon and my elderly parents are moving to help me with their first grandchild. I'd just hate to make the investment of buying into a county I don't know too well (BUT I'm open to it) and I'm worried about their safety.

Can anyone provide information about either the county OR about Marlboro Ridge? I'd love to hear from people who own a home in the Toll Brothers community.

Thanks!
I know a little bit about Marlboro Ridge. It started off as a high priced luxury townhome community that expanded to having single family homes. Of course with the economy,things began to plummet. I remember when it was first built the townhomes were going for about $400k-500k, but now I see a few brand new places going in the upper $300k. As with any new property in PG, you have to examine if the price fits what you are paying for. There are a lot of overpriced newer complexes that have lost value, and this one seems to have been affected as well. The area itself is nice. It's very safe, but it's also very rural and quiet. If you need to pickup things for the baby, you will either have to go to the Dutch Market at the corner of Old Marlboro Pike and Brown Station Road, the Food Lion on 301 or drive even further out. That is probably one of the biggest draw backs.

As far as Accokeek (I know when I grew up there, my parents used to argue about how to spell it for years so don't feel bad.), it's a great place and arguably one of the best places in PG. It's very laid back. A lot of people joke and say that it's really Charles County because culturally it is much more laid back than the rest of PG. There are only 2 shopping centers in Accokeek, one off of Livingston Road and 210, and the other is Manokeek which is on 228. There is also a place called B&J which is in the "downtown" part of Accokeek. It has been there for decades, is a landmark and is one of the most popular places in Southern PG. The food is very good there, but unfortunately that's all Accokeek has. Accokeek is also very safe, quiet and rural, although it's becoming more and more suburban each day with the new developments coming up each year. So if you like to feel away from the city without being too far from it, Accokeek is your place.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM

18,593 posts, read 17,893,047 times
I agree with Meatkins the area is safe but the real estate market in PG is very turbulent. If the price is right and the amenities are what you looking for go for it but be prepared that prices may drop or stagnate for awhile after you purchase it.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,045 times
Default Thanks!

To both of you who replied. I really appreciate it. Its good to know about the up and down prices of PG county. It gives me a different perspective when negotiating with the developers if I come down to buying one of their homes.

If anyone owns in the toll brothers community I'd love to hear your feedback! thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM

429 posts, read 1,083,734 times
I think the safety issue is often overstated and that many parts of PG County can be great places to live. Since you are expecting a child, you might want to look hard at the school situation, especially elementary schools, wherever you are considering. PG County schools don't have the quality of Montgomery County, but that doesn't have to matter if you are happy with your local elementary school or if you were planning on private schools or homeschooling anyway.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM

18,593 posts, read 17,893,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I think the safety issue is often overstated and that many parts of PG County can be great places to live. Since you are expecting a child, you might want to look hard at the school situation, especially elementary schools, wherever you are considering. PG County schools don't have the quality of Montgomery County, but that doesn't have to matter if you are happy with your local elementary school or if you were planning on private schools or homeschooling anyway.
Elementary schools are PG's strong suit IMHO (in comparison to their middle and high schools) they draw from smaller boundaries so if you're area is middle class most of the kids in the school should come from a similar background and neighborhood. Also at that age kids are more malleable and if you're an involved parent you shouldn't have too many problems.

PG's deficiencies really show up at the middle school level where busing and bigger boundaries conspire to drag in kids from poorer backgrounds with poor habits. Then your sheltered middle class kid will be up against street wise kids who see school as one big recess endeavor.

In fairness to PG I don't think it's the county's fault but the sadly the population it serves.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

429 posts, read 1,083,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Elementary schools are PG's strong suit IMHO (in comparison to their middle and high schools) they draw from smaller boundaries so if you're area is middle class most of the kids in the school should come from a similar background and neighborhood. Also at that age kids are more malleable and if you're an involved parent you shouldn't have too many problems.

PG's deficiencies really show up at the middle school level where busing and bigger boundaries conspire to drag in kids from poorer backgrounds with poor habits. Then your sheltered middle class kid will be up against street wise kids who see school as one big recess endeavor.

In fairness to PG I don't think it's the county's fault but the sadly the population it serves.
I agree with you that elementary schools often don't face the same problems as middle and high schools. I raised the issue only because the OP seemed focused on the safety issue which I think is often exaggerated rather than the education issue, which I think can be a real problem even in otherwise very nice neighborhoods.

I'm happy with my choice of PG and I think it has a lot to offer, but I want to be open and honest about the problems as well as the good points.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I agree with you that elementary schools often don't face the same problems as middle and high schools. I raised the issue only because the OP seemed focused on the safety issue which I think is often exaggerated rather than the education issue, which I think can be a real problem even in otherwise very nice neighborhoods.

I'm happy with my choice of PG and I think it has a lot to offer, but I want to be open and honest about the problems as well as the good points.
It's difficult to gauge the elementary school situation in that part of Upper Marlboro, because I believe the school around there is Barack Obama Elementary. Since that school just opened up last year, it is a relative unknown. Couple that with the fact that the OP baby is not even born yet, it's hard to say what that school will be like in 5 years.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,118,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

I disagree with this to a certain extent. Not all the elementary schools are strong, although I suppose if you compare them to the middle and high schools they look that way. In fact, some elementary schools have a mixture of middle class and poor children. At one elementary school my children once attended, there was such a mix, and also behavioral and performance issues. Just because an elementary school is located near or even in a middle class area, that doesn't mean mostly middle class children attend. The middle class and affluent parents often opt for private school (or home schooling). Also, students can be placed there via an IEP, the social service/foster care system, the babysitting transfer, or various other reasons. No, those children aren't automatically the troublemakers by any means. But my point is that you can and often do have lots of different children with different backgrounds in a school in a middle class area in PG. Plus, quite a few middle class areas are located near poorer areas in the county.

Additionally, it is the responsibility and often the fault of the school system when a school is not doing well behaviorally or academically. When you can't control the behavior, teaching and academics suffer. When you have trouble getting your students to learn, they suffer and the test scores show it.

It is true that social ills and lack of effective parental guidance are a drain on a school. But, at a school, you get what you get, and you have to teach what you have and keep those test scores up. At the end of the day, whether the kids know little to nothing, act up or whatever, they need to be taught. And complaints about lack of parental involvement are only going to go so far. I have much sympathy for teachers; it's not easy for them. And there are some very good ones here. But the situation is what it is.

That being said, with elementary schools in PG, it depends on the individual child's needs academically and socially. A bright child who can make good grades and navigate the behavioral scene well and not be distracted easily by the behavioral and academic challenges of others can do well in a lower-ranked elementary school. I frankly worried more about safety and social/behavioral weaknesses at my children's former elementary school.

To the OP, I haven't heard of any major safety issues in that part of Upper Marlboro, and I have heard mostly good things about Obama Elementary (if that is the zoned school -- some proposed boundary redrawings are occurring right now). I think you also mentioned the Accokeek area, which is one of my favorites. I haven't heard of any safety issues there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland