Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This isn't some grand conspiracy. First of all does your stat about federal workers residency include postal workers?

A lot of the growth and auxillery businesses the federal government generates has to do with defense. The Pentagon was built well before PG became majority Black. So PG has always been playing catch up.

PG as Pearlstein points out has real impediments. Now one can argue they are race related. Honestly I think it's what the culture that is associated with many Blacks (high crime, low educational emphasis over reliance on government as opposed to business etc.) that leads to these impediments being a barrier.

However as prices drop in PG and development potential becomes scarce elsewhere in the region maybe things will improve in PG.

At the end of the day developers want to make money if there is money to be made building commercially in PG it will get built.
You are absolutely 100% correct that it has nothing to do with race but more so on territory(state) discrimination. Maryland has always suffered from Economic/Business Decline due to Virginia getting their way of Mass Development of Office Towers, Upscale Enclosed Shopping Malls, Highway Building/Widening, Subway Expansions, and Multiple Business HQ's Expansions.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Evidently the Town Center model is what's in.
Oh really then why is Tysons Corner I & II, Pentagon City Mall, and Dulles Town Centre Mall not being Converted into an open air town center.......

Quote:
It's part of this whole urbanist movement I guess.
Nope it's part of an anti-Growth scheme to keep Maryland from competing against the Economic/Business Rich Virginia......

The idea of building an area in Maryland at the same scale of Tysons Corner I & II or Larger would send Virginians into an Extreme Jealous Rage.......

Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
Lets be real -- PG doesnt have Federal jobs because too many blacks live there and people are generally ignorant/stupid about things they have no experience with.

I talk to people about PG, and they act horrified like its Iraq or something (too many blacks, and too much ignorance from folks across the river).

If the government (and PGC) were smart (and yes PG has made boneheaded decisions in the past), they would attract the Fed, and other businesses to the area, because simply building houses (and churches) isnt providing enough revenue. People deserve to live close to work, and not pay some asinine price out in some VA suburb.

PG needs the jobs, and the Fed needs to save money....I cant believe the Fed wont (notice I didnt say "isnt") build in PG.

Last edited by vicnice; 01-24-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Lets be real -- PG doesnt have Federal jobs because too many blacks live there and people are generally ignorant/stupid about things they have no experience with.

I talk to people about PG, and they act horrified like its Iraq or something (too many blacks, and too much ignorance from folks across the river).

If the government (and PGC) were smart (and yes PG has made boneheaded decisions in the past), they would attract the Fed, and other businesses to the area, because simply building houses (and churches) isnt providing enough revenue. People deserve to live close to work, and not pay some asinine price out in some VA suburb.

PG needs the jobs, and the Fed needs to save money....I cant believe the Fed wont (notice I didnt say "isnt") build in PG.
The demographic stats speak for themselves (2nd worst schools in the state, 2nd highest violent crime rate in the state).

Folks are not going to move into an enviroment like PG and subject their children to it unless there are some major positive trade offs (affordability, commute, cultural afinity etc.) For many people none of the factors I mentioned would be enough to overcome crime or poor schools.

The brutal truth is that these stats are associated with Blacks for a reason. Instead of whining about no one liking Blacks or being ignorant maybe the Black community should get it's house in order first.

It would be easier to make a racial argument if in fact the stats between jurisdictions were similar. Currently they are not by a wide margin.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
I like PG but seriously the county has been in bed with housing developers for too long while many areas are neglected. Of course some of the lack of commercial development is racially motivated but the politicians in the county have not held up their end of the bargain to make PG an attractive place.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The demographic stats speak for themselves (2nd worst schools in the state, 2nd highest violent crime rate in the state).

Folks are not going to move into an enviroment like PG and subject their children to it unless there are some major positive trade offs (affordability, commute, cultural afinity etc.) For many people none of the factors I mentioned would be enough to overcome crime or poor schools.

The brutal truth is that these stats are associated with Blacks for a reason. Instead of whining about no one liking Blacks or being ignorant maybe the Black community should get it's house in order first.

It would be easier to make a racial argument if in fact the stats between jurisdictions were similar. Currently they are not by a wide margin.
The brutal truth is that racism is a natural human trait, and it is clearly exhibited in the geographical layout of DC.

Facts cannot be similar between two areas if the financial conditions are not the same. Example: I can show you White areas in Kentucky with the same crime, poverty, and out of wedlock stats.

Look at Hurricane Katrina. Humans can be violent and immoral when ***** goes bad, and folks in PG arent exactly living in paradise.

You cannot build a business without capital, and you cannot improve an area without business. Inject captial into the region first and then we can make a judgement call, until then, you are simply pointing at a hole in the ground and blaming said hole for not being a house.

Do we use this same logic with Iraq and Afghanistan? "Get your internal house in order, and then maybe we will permit you into the UN". You need to clean it up, and inject startup capital.

Cant make something from nothing. (Except racism, thats easy, you just point and say "Look, that <insert color> has bad grades because he is <insert color>").

Unless there is a PG county gene and a Fairfax gene that spells out what someones degree will be, and their GPA, I aint buyin.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I like PG but seriously the county has been in bed with housing developers for too long while many areas are neglected. Of course some of the lack of commercial development is racially motivated but the politicians in the county have not held up their end of the bargain to make PG an attractive place.
Rep given......PG has made some stupid decisions.., the one I love is the "Welcome to PG County" right at the 495 borderline (by fedex field) that basically says the east side doesnt exist. PG is essentially choking off the portion of the county that doesn't suit them (sound familiar)?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
The brutal truth is that racism is a natural human trait, and it is clearly exhibited in the geographical layout of DC.

Facts cannot be similar between two areas if the financial conditions are not the same. Example: I can show you White areas in Kentucky with the same crime, poverty, and out of wedlock stats.

Look at Hurricane Katrina. Humans can be violent and immoral when ***** goes bad, and folks in PG arent exactly living in paradise.

You cannot build a business without capital, and you cannot improve an area without business. Inject captial into the region first and then we can make a judgement call, until then, you are simply pointing at a hole in the ground and blaming said hole for not being a house.

Do we use this same logic with Iraq and Afghanistan? "Get your internal house in order, and then maybe we will permit you into the UN". You need to clean it up, and inject startup capital.

Cant make something from nothing. (Except racism, thats easy, you just point and say "Look, that <insert color> has bad grades because he is <insert color>").

Unless there is a PG county gene and a Fairfax gene that spells out what someones degree will be, and their GPA, I aint buyin.
Show it.

It's kind of hard to debate someone whose head is in the sky. I deal with facts when you have some to share please do and we can have an intelligent discussion.

I'll leave with one set of facts that blows your income argument out of the water.

PG Household Median Income is $71,696
Garrett County Household Median Income is $37,811

PG has a higher murder rate and worse schools as measured by test scores.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Show it.

It's kind of hard to debate someone whose head is in the sky. I deal with facts when you have some to share please do and we can have an intelligent discussion.

I'll leave with one set of facts that blows your income argument out of the water.

PG Household Median Income is $71,696
Garrett County Household Median Income is $37,811

PG has a higher murder rate and worse schools as measured by test scores.
>>>>????What state is Garrett County for? Are we playing the pick a random place game?? Can I show some stats for Manitoba? Or maybe Trinidad!!

I am ready to have an intelligent discussion when you are. I really want you to convince me that crime and income/business prospects are not related to relative income of a specific area, this is going to be a fun conversation.

Last edited by vicnice; 01-24-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Garrett County is in Western Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland