Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM

131 posts, read 344,197 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, brick-and-mortar video stores are all but gone.

Home theatre phanatics still prefer physical dsics, because they provide superior picture quality and sound relative to any streaming service. Unfortunately, the segment is too small to support a store franchise.

Redbox is a decent alternative, but they are lacking in selection, only carrying newer releases. And for some reason, I'm ALWAYS stuck behind the jackass that needs to look through EVERY single movie before selecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A co-worker just told me NetFlix doesn't send out DVDs anymore that they only send direct to TV.
Is that true? (because if don't have Internet hooked up to the TV.)

Same person said his wife has been Jonesing (sp?) to watch the old Robert Redford movie "Reds." He was saying didn't know WHERE he could RENT it, so he'll have to BUY in through Amazon or some other place, but if we still had stores he could just go get it for a couple of nights.

I rent movies MAYBE once a year. I just miss a place to go to pick up a movie. I speak a couple of foreign languages. Where can you rent foreign language movies? Blockbuster would have dramas, foreign language flicks -- the selection was VAST.

Half the stuff in a Red Box isn't worth my time watching. I checked the offerings about a month ago. There was NOTHING I wanted to see. At Blockbuster I could always find SOMETHING. Since I don't go to the movies often I often pick what I call a "recent old movie" -- something 5-10 years old that I never saw. Red Box doesn't have those movies, forget foreign language movies.
One of my housemates gets them delivered regularly.

Me thinks he's on borrowed time.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM

182 posts, read 477,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A co-worker just told me NetFlix doesn't send out DVDs anymore that they only send direct to TV.
Is that true? (because if don't have Internet hooked up to the TV.)

Same person said his wife has been Jonesing (sp?) to watch the old Robert Redford movie "Reds." He was saying didn't know WHERE he could RENT it, so he'll have to BUY in through Amazon or some other place, but if we still had stores he could just go get it for a couple of nights.

I rent movies MAYBE once a year. I just miss a place to go to pick up a movie. I speak a couple of foreign languages. Where can you rent foreign language movies? Blockbuster would have dramas, foreign language flicks -- the selection was VAST.

Half the stuff in a Red Box isn't worth my time watching. I checked the offerings about a month ago. There was NOTHING I wanted to see. At Blockbuster I could always find SOMETHING. Since I don't go to the movies often I often pick what I call a "recent old movie" -- something 5-10 years old that I never saw. Red Box doesn't have those movies, forget foreign language movies.
To the best of my knowledge, Netflix still has the DVD by mail option. I know in the fall of last year, Netflix raised it's rates substantially if you wanted to do both streaming and DVD by mail, but they haven't stopped mailing out DVDs. You should check out Netflix, their selection/variety may surprise you, especially if you choose to receive DVDs by mail (their DVD by mail selection claims to have over 90,000 titles while the streaming claims to have around 12,000).

You must have had a really a nice Blockbuster. Cause I remember my town's Blockbuster being more of a new release store. The entire perimeter of the store was devoted to new releases. It was their "Guaranteed To Be There" program. Then they jammed up all the older movies in the "middle" of the store. It was hard to find anything and most of the times these movies weren't even really organized. Then they added video games and movies you could buy, which decreased the rental movie space even further.

For old movies that you may not find on Amazon or Netflix, I would check around town for a local video store (not a rental store, but a store where you can buy stuff). I know there a couple in Laurel and Beltsville. You'll find really old VHS tape movies and maybe a handful of older DVDs.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Netflix still has the DVD by mail option. I know in the fall of last year, Netflix raised it's rates substantially if you wanted to do both streaming and DVD by mail, but they haven't stopped mailing out DVDs.
Yes, they still do discs.

Prices went up but not "substantially" I never understood the online eruption at Netflix, for sure they need better PR, but 1. dealing with Netflix is preferable to doing so with any cable company, by miles 2. Even at $50 a month (my plan is around $28 after the "substantial" increase), I still think Netflix is better value than anything out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland