Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 AM

42 posts, read 47,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquinegra View Post
Bowie is nothing you *settle* for. Bowie is nice
Bowie does have some nice areas. I looked at the Fairwood community in the early 2000's and they had plans for it to be a wonderful community with a school. Now, in 2012, they still don't have an elementary school in the neighborhood to support this huge neighborhood; yet taxes in the city of Bowie are outrageous!

I grew up in PG but I live in Howard County for the schools. I can't afford to buy in Howard County and I refuse to pay high taxes for a poor school system in PG. I feel like I'm being priced out of the area that I know as my home. Truly frustrating!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I spent years after we got married trying to live in Bethesda, and as we started a family I watched more and more how we just could not afford to live anywhere near where we worked (NIH). After years of frustration, and just total financial inability to live there, when the opportunity came we left. We now own a home in Florida that cost your ideal price, boasts 3900 square feet, a heated pool/spa, and so much. The tradeoff from moving from Maryland is the more difficult job market everywhere else. I really feel for you, but our decision was we had to leave our good jobs behind from Maryland so that we could afford to live and be able to pay for our childrens expenses.

I know most others from my NIH job at that time thought we were nuts to leave and most choose the opposite of us which is staying and paying. But I do not see how anyone does it in maryland to be honest. Then there were those that got into management just to stay in that area, but who seemingly somewhat sold their souls and became awful people.... but that is another story.

I hope you find some answers. All the best in your search.
I work for NIH as well and I can't afford to live near my job either. I have considered moving to Houston, TX to be able to afford a better lifestyle myself. It's not easy and sometimes I'm quite angry when I think about how I'm being priced out of the area that I know as home.

Home costs, childcare, and long commutes make this area undesireable; yet articles continue to post about how this area is growing. People may come here because of government employment but I bet there are quite a few people who now have children who are considering moves elsewhere just because it costs so much to live here now.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM

81 posts, read 216,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
I work for NIH as well and I can't afford to live near my job either. I have considered moving to Houston, TX to be able to afford a better lifestyle myself. It's not easy and sometimes I'm quite angry when I think about how I'm being priced out of the area that I know as home.

Home costs, childcare, and long commutes make this area undesireable; yet articles continue to post about how this area is growing. People may come here because of government employment but I bet there are quite a few people who now have children who are considering moves elsewhere just because it costs so much to live here now.
:Raises hand:

We're seriously exploring relocating for these exact reasons.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 PM

45,370 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
Bowie does have some nice areas. I looked at the Fairwood community in the early 2000's and they had plans for it to be a wonderful community with a school. Now, in 2012, they still don't have an elementary school in the neighborhood to support this huge neighborhood; yet taxes in the city of Bowie are outrageous!

I grew up in PG but I live in Howard County for the schools. I can't afford to buy in Howard County and I refuse to pay high taxes for a poor school system in PG. I feel like I'm being priced out of the area that I know as my home. Truly frustrating!!
Incorporated Bowie city taxes don't go to the school system or to build schools. The schools are funded and built through the County.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Incorporated Bowie city taxes don't go to the school system or to build schools. The schools are funded and built through the County.
That makes it even worse. More of a reason not to buy there. It's sad because there are nice communities in Bowie. I refuse to pay an arm and a leg for my home AND even more in taxes than some of even nicer areas in the DC metro area, and still get fewer ameneties and poor schools.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
Wow, you sound exactly like me. I also worked in Bethesda, and now live in Florida. After we got married in our late 20's and lived in Rockville for a while, we decided to relocate to Orlando to start our family for exactly the reasons you describe, although it helped that our parents retired to FL so we're near family.

We also have a large-ish house with heated pool/spa and pay a fraction of the mortgage we used to pay on a townhouse in Rockville. There was no way we were going to move out to BFE just to be in a large single family house in MoCo. We would have been commuting our lives away in frustration.

The good news is we both got to take our Bethesda jobs (and salaries) with us by teleworking. In that respect we are different and VERY lucky, but you are exactly right about the stress and cost of living just not being worth it. Even if our employers did not agree to let us telework, we were prepared to find new jobs.

The interesting thing is that we both get to travel back a few times a year for work. We stay with friends, and the first thing we always notice is the honking and general rudeness and impatience of all the drivers. I think we just "accepted" that when we lived there, but now it seems extreme. It's like being back in a dream where we lived our old lives (we both grew up in Maryland) but oddly we feel more at home now in Florida. I guess it just fits with who we are as people. Everything is a personal choice, but certainly priorities change once you're married and have kids.

Wow U got to keep you Maryland JOB and SALARIES......Great for you... I used to live in Orlando and the job market and salaries are HORRIBLE.....

You were very lucky that u didn't have to take on new jobs in Orlando there would have been a big pay cut.

Maryland housing prices are crazy....Most single people wont be able to buy their own home.

Maybe that the solution go to DC area get the great job then transfer the JOB and GREAT SALARY to another cheaper area of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland