Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 28,092 times

Advertisements

As much as people roll-up their eyes about Bowie, I have noticed Bowie to be a much better place, at least the good part of Bowie. However, given the state of PG county, I am looking for SFH in Crofton and Gambrills. Since, they are not to far from work in DC, and I can always catch orange line from New Carrolton.

Now, Crofton houses are essentially built like cookie cutter projects in Bowie, and have no basements (that is a something I want). Whereas, houses in Gambrills have Septic tank and well for water.

Anyone who has lived in Anne Arundel, can you give me your opinion about Crofton Vs. Gambrills? Is Gambrills worth trying out? I am not sure if they even have Verizon Fios. Is it safe to live in Gambrills compared to Crofton?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM

offending post?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM

10,576 posts, read 11,986,908 times
No. just give people a chance to answer.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,913,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnal12 View Post
As much as people roll-up their eyes about Bowie, I have noticed Bowie to be a much better place, at least the good part of Bowie. However, given the state of PG county, I am looking for SFH in Crofton and Gambrills. Since, they are not to far from work in DC, and I can always catch orange line from New Carrolton.

Now, Crofton houses are essentially built like cookie cutter projects in Bowie, and have no basements (that is a something I want). Whereas, houses in Gambrills have Septic tank and well for water.

Anyone who has lived in Anne Arundel, can you give me your opinion about Crofton Vs. Gambrills? Is Gambrills worth trying out? I am not sure if they even have Verizon Fios. Is it safe to live in Gambrills compared to Crofton?

Thanks!
There are bad parts in Bowie? I know that there is some parts that can be questionable, but there are more of individual location than areas in my opinion. Just curious, what are the bad parts of Bowie in your opinion?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM

I am new to the area, but have been told by few people who know the city, to stay away from the areas surrounding the mall. The better parts are from kenhill drive to trinity drive (areas in between).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,913,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnal12 View Post
I am new to the area, but have been told by few people who know the city, to stay away from the areas surrounding the mall. The better parts are from kenhill drive to trinity drive (areas in between).
Well usually around shopping areas there tends to have more crime, but I don't know if I could see that area being described as bad. I guess it depends on who you ask. For me, I haven't heard about crime happening that much in that area. You can look at the crime reports yourself. I don't see anything. Not sure where they are getting their information. Maybe there are so things that aren't being reported, I don't know.

Prince George’s County crime report - The Washington Post

Prince George’s County crime report - The Washington Post

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,418,534 times
The E section, near the Bowie Town Center, had what appeared to be an uptick in crime about a year ago. The neighborhood itself, and the N section on the other side of the mall, seem fine otherwise. A lot of the newer housing in Bowie is over there.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks, for the reply.

However, I am leaning towards Crofton or Gambrills (not too far into Gambrills). I will like to see if someone can run down the pros and cons of both the places, when compared with each other. I commute to DC and will want to stay within 25 miles of NW, or 8-9 miles of New Carrolton.

I have checked Odenton and Crownsville, but have gotten the impression that those places can be hit or miss.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Generally your property taxes in Anne Arundel will be less than Prince George's (and City of Bowie has municipal taxes layered on top of County).

Anne Arundel schools are considered better than Prince George's although Bowie schools are pretty much the best in PG.

Your insurance costs for cars will be less in Anne Arundel.

Thousands and thousands of houses in MD are on well and septic. Inspection, testing and approval of those are SOP when you're buying a house with them. Can they go bad next week? Yes, but so can your house connection to central water and sewer.

Basements are problematic in much of this area due to the high water table in some places.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks, NB Person.

Do you have any information about Gambrills in particular and how it is different from Crofton? and it what ways??

I have just taken a couple of hours tour of that area for the first time, and I seemed to like Gambrills more, but then Crofton looked liked something that can give you peace of mind. Not sure about safety in Gambrills, due to openness of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland