Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by localcall View Post
What does Ehrlich have to do with the toll rates? He was out of office years before the ICC opened. The route for the ICC was determined long before he was elected to office. He merely pushed the project to get it started and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM

52 posts, read 215,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
What does Ehrlich have to do with the toll rates? He was out of office years before the ICC opened. The route for the ICC was determined long before he was elected to office. He merely pushed the project to get it started and do it.
Ooops... my mistake. I misread your post. You were arguing for smaller tolls to get more people to drive the road to get more revenue. I agree with that. Somehow I thought you were arguing that the ICC shouldn't have been built, because it would have required charging for tolls.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
i agree, as I think it slopes in the wrong direction. It makes a shortcut for people driving from Gaithersburg to Prince George, but how many drive that way?
That was the intended purpose. I-95 passes through Prince Georges County. Put it too far north and you make the trip longer for people who are coming from Greenbelt and points south on 495. It was meant to alleviate or prepare for growing traffic in the northern close-in suburbs of D.C. It wouldn't make sense if it was any further north. To be honest, I think VA needed an ICC long before MD. Different state though. :-)

Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localcall View Post
The ICC is for the future. As the 270 Corridor gets more developed (see Science City), this road will see more use. What I think the planners are trying to avoid is a repeat of route 66 in Virginia. Just like Virginia with route 66, Maryland is trying to lure development and businesses along that corridor. I commute regularly on 66 (thankfully against traffic) and that road is just brutal. I had always complained about the traffic in 270, but compared to that, 270 feels like the AutoBahn. But yes, if 270 does not get developed, then this road will be a waste especially for the amount of transportation money that was spent on it.

It's fair to complain about Democrats and taxes, but uh... wasn't ICC Ehrlich's baby?

Maryland Politics - Ehrlich surfaces as ICC readies for traffic in Md.

It's also meant to spur development in east Montgomery County. The road would serve potentially two economic corridors.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,376,966 times
I think the ICC will eventually show its worth, but there's no doubt it would be a lot more utilized if it were part of a full, or even half, outer Beltway. I know that's pie-in-the-sky dreaming since most people who live along those routes hate the idea, and it would be ridiculously expensive. Still, let's say you had an easy commute from Eastern Montgomery County to Dulles- now THAT would convince people to pay for the ICC.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I think the ICC will eventually show its worth, but there's no doubt it would be a lot more utilized if it were part of a full, or even half, outer Beltway. I know that's pie-in-the-sky dreaming since most people who live along those routes hate the idea, and it would be ridiculously expensive. Still, let's say you had an easy commute from Eastern Montgomery County to Dulles- now THAT would convince people to pay for the ICC.

What's so attractive about Dulles, VA to the people in East Montgomery County?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM

396 posts, read 1,104,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What's so attractive about Dulles, VA to the people in East Montgomery County?
Jobs.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
Jobs.

Wrong! lol So, Dulles is the employment hot spot huh? Hmmmm. I guess there's nothing in the I-270 corridor but hotels and fast food joints? Oh, I'm sorry, the city to the north....what's that city again? Oh, BALTIMORE (which is closer to East Montgomery than DULLES). Gee, not only that, there's that little job center called D.C. that EMC residents would have to actually pass to get to Dulles.

What are you smokin?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM

94 posts, read 193,141 times
Isn't it barely in PG county? More like the "Make MoCo drivers happy" than ICC

Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wrong! lol So, Dulles is the employment hot spot huh? Hmmmm. I guess there's nothing in the I-270 corridor but hotels and fast food joints? Oh, I'm sorry, the city to the north....what's that city again? Oh, BALTIMORE (which is closer to East Montgomery than DULLES). Gee, not only that, there's that little job center called D.C. that EMC residents would have to actually pass to get to Dulles.

What are you smokin?
I believe I read somewhere that Dulles has the 4th largest office space in terms of sq ft.

While Montgomery County has some impressive companies and job centers it's nit on the same level as the Dulles Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland