Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 14,102 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing for a move to the DC area with my husband and two small children. He'll work in DC proper, so we'd like to be somewhere reasonable commute-wise. We have found a perfect home in Cheverly that is well within our price range - the house itself is more or less our ideal and very uniquely perfect for us for a few different reasons. There is a great deal about Cheverly itself (close-knit community, things for children to do, etc) that appeals to me as well. I was set on making this house ours, but the crime statistics have given me pause.

I have scoured old posts here and on other forums and everyone who lives in Cheverly appears to absolutely love it. People rave about how safe it is, which made me certain it was the place for us ... until I actually looked at the numbers. Crimes in every category are higher than the national average. One resource I found explains that, "when you compare Cheverly to other communities of similar population, then Cheverly crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Cheverly does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most."

I'm confused by what appears to be a huge discrepancy between what people say, and what the data says. Does this close knit community have a pact to speak only positives so as to protect their community's reputation? I just don't get it. I see that it's a bit less safe on the east side of 50, and I get that, but how is this area really considered safe? Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingShoes View Post
I'm preparing for a move to the DC area with my husband and two small children. He'll work in DC proper, so we'd like to be somewhere reasonable commute-wise. We have found a perfect home in Cheverly that is well within our price range - the house itself is more or less our ideal and very uniquely perfect for us for a few different reasons. There is a great deal about Cheverly itself (close-knit community, things for children to do, etc) that appeals to me as well. I was set on making this house ours, but the crime statistics have given me pause.

I have scoured old posts here and on other forums and everyone who lives in Cheverly appears to absolutely love it. People rave about how safe it is, which made me certain it was the place for us ... until I actually looked at the numbers. Crimes in every category are higher than the national average. One resource I found explains that, "when you compare Cheverly to other communities of similar population, then Cheverly crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Cheverly does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most."

I'm confused by what appears to be a huge discrepancy between what people say, and what the data says. Does this close knit community have a pact to speak only positives so as to protect their community's reputation? I just don't get it. I see that it's a bit less safe on the east side of 50, and I get that, but how is this area really considered safe? Any insights?

It's the infamous "Nook" phenomenon. I go through the same thing where I live. In my "Nook" in Adelphi, it's great. Great neighborhood, great neighbors, lovely houses, etc. Yet, Adelphi/Hyattsville is larger than my Nook which encompasses those areas with higher crime. It's the same with Cheverly. My father lives in the nice Nook of Cheverly with the old single family homes, nice yards, etc. (behind the hospital), but Cheverly also includes the areas further east on 202 which includes areas that experience higher crime. So, while your Nook may be Mr. Roger's neighborhood, 4 blocks down the street may be a completely different experience. I think your part of Cheverly will maintain its distinction from the rest of Cheverly. Some crime, mostly thefts and break ins bleed into nicer neighborhoods that are in close proximity to higher crime areas. But it's what you can tolerate.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Basically, every neighborhood in the DC Metro is a stone's throw away from a "bad" neighborhood. It doesn't matter where you live, the riff-raff aren't that far away. That's the price we all pay here to live in a metro where the income gap is very wide. Poor criminals have to live somewhere don't they? Unfortunately, yes, they do.

Looking at your post, the first question that pops up in my mind is "what is your price range for a house?" In the DC-area, price range generally dictates the kind of neighborhood you can expect to live in. If your price range is $500K, then you should consider lots of different places instead of zeroing in on Cheverly. There are plenty of options in that price range in good neighborhoods. If your range is $250K, then you're pretty much relegated to questionable areas....or at a minimum a small house in a sea of small houses. There might be "good street"s to live on, but i'm not sure i'd call the $250K range a "good neighborhood."

Also, you mentioned that you have two small children. Now is the time to consider school districts, before you buy the house, not after. My first concern would be "how are Cheverly area schools?" more than anything else at this juncture.

If we know your price range, then perhaps we can help steer you to other communities that are a better fit.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Basically, every neighborhood in the DC Metro is a stone's throw away from a "bad" neighborhood. It doesn't matter where you live, the riff-raff aren't that far away. That's the price we all pay here to live in a metro where the income gap is very wide. Poor criminals have to live somewhere don't they? Unfortunately, yes, they do.

Looking at your post, the first question that pops up in my mind is "what is your price range for a house?" In the DC-area, price range generally dictates the kind of neighborhood you can expect to live in. If your price range is $500K, then you should consider lots of different places instead of zeroing in on Cheverly. There are plenty of options in that price range in good neighborhoods. If your range is $250K, then you're pretty much relegated to questionable areas....or at a minimum a small house in a sea of small houses. There might be "good street"s to live on, but i'm not sure i'd call the $250K range a "good neighborhood."

If we know your price range, then perhaps we can help steer you to other communities that are a better fit.
In this economy, $250k will go a long way in PG County. Years ago, what you said maybe true, but there are some really nice neighborhoods in Bowie that have SF homes going under $250k.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
In this economy, $250k will go a long way in PG County. Years ago, what you said maybe true, but there are some really nice neighborhoods in Bowie that have SF homes going under $250k.
Very true. That's pretty much what i'm trying to nail down. The poster mentions Cheverly, and then questions whether Bethesda/Potomac would be a better option. That seems to assert that maybe there's some breathing room on on housing prices, in which case he/she might want to consider how a commute will effect their lives. Bowie does indeed have some options, but it's not exactly what i'd call close to DC either. Its not outrageously far out, but it does require a decent commute.

Also, the diversity of PG county is worth taking a closer look in my opinion. Not everyone is OK with "diversity." Not being from the area, house prices shouldn't be the only consideration....especially if his/her kids could end up in schools that don't mimick his/her individual values.

Lots of unaswered questions here. Cheverly is not a destination that I myself would be interested in, but perhaps its exactly what he/she is looking for? Maybe we'll get more details.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post

I agree.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I agree.
You (and the poster above) made me curious, so I went to zillow.com to do a quick house search with the upper maximum of $275K. As asserted, there are numerous houses/condos/townhouses in that price range. What struck me though was the sheer number of foreclosures listed in Bowie. Wow!

At any rate, if someone is OK with the commute from Bowie to DC everyday, it might be worth looking there....lots of house for a decent price.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Also, you mentioned that you have two small children. Now is the time to consider school districts, before you buy the house, not after. My first concern would be "how are Cheverly area schools?" more than anything else at this juncture.

Thanks so much for the insights. What everyone is saying makes sense.

We're renting rather than buying at this point, and our budget allows us to go as high as $2,700/month. We started out looking in Alexandria, and some areas a greater distance out (really like Takoma Park). We can afford these areas, but if we went with Cheverly (or another lower rent area), we would be able to save so much more for when we do decide to buy, and as compared to places other than Alexandria, we'd be much closer in to DC which is great. A long commute is definitely not something we want. The ability to build savings appeals to me a great deal, but I certainly don't want to do all of that at the expense of our safety.

Renting also limits what's available to us in terms of features somewhat, so finding a place with the exact specifications the house in Cheverly has is not likely, which is why I guess I have narrowed our search so much while we consider this option. We really want a garage, 3 or 4 bedrooms, don't want a split bedroom plan or a tri level, want a nice yard with space to garden, don't want a townhome, etc. Finding all of these things together has proven to be a challenge so far - so on those grounds I'm really considering this find, but definitely want to do my due diligence before moving forward.

Last edited by WanderingShoes; 03-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:

We're renting rather than buying at this point, and our budget allows us to go as high as $2,700/month. We started out looking in Alexandria, and some areas a greater distance out (really like Takoma Park). We can afford these areas, but if we went with Cheverly (or another lower rent area), we would be able to save so much more for when we do decide to buy, and as compared to places other than Alexandria, we'd be much closer in to DC which is great. A long commute is definitely not something we want. The ability to build savings appeals to me a great deal, but I certainly don't want to do all of that at the expense of our safety.

Renting also limits what's available to us in terms of features somewhat, so finding a place with the exact specifications the house in Cheverly has is not likely, which is why I guess I have narrowed our search so much while we consider this option. We really want a garage, 3 or 4 bedrooms, don't want a split bedroom plan or a tri level, want a nice yard with space to garden, don't want a townhome, etc. Finding all of these things together has proven to be a challenge so far - so on those grounds I'm really considering this find, but definitely want to do my due diligence before moving forward.
I don't think that's realistic. If you want to get all of that and still have a reasonable commute, you will either rent cheap in a place like Cheverly with a somewhat questionable reputation, or rent high in a place like Alexandria or Arlington. Something has to give here. There isn't a combination of safety, commute, and lower expenses that is in this region. So the question is, what are you and your family willing to sacrifice? Also when you say small children, are they school age? Schools will become an issue too, especially when Prince George's County is in the equation.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
Quote:

Remember to consider the difference in income taxes between Alexandria (5.75) and Cheverly %8 (4.75+3.2). That could have a pretty big impact to your take home (it did for mine).

Cheverly is a great area, and I think the "nook" comparison is very accurate. Cheverly has some questionable areas but overall it's not too bad (there are better places but the price point becomes more unfavorable).

You will also want to consider a private highschool in Cheverly, public school in that area is very (read: extremely) suspect for reasons you can find on this board.

Cheverly may be cheaper but you are getting what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland