Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,034 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to make the move to the DC area, so I've been looking for affordable housing. I've found a potentially good situation in Silver Spring, but the only thing I am terrified about is the commute to where I'll be working in Washington DC. So I thought I would ask about people's experiences and see if my fears are legitimate or if the whole thing would be pretty doable.

Some specifics:
1. The place I'm looking at is near Leslie Street in Silver Spring
2. I'll be working on Brandywine Street, close to the Tenleytown Metro station.
3. The place I'm looking at is pretty accessible by car to either the Wheaton or the Grovsners metro. I'm very willing to take the metro when I can, but some days my hours will prevent me from doing this.

Any thoughts on how my commute will be? Should I be afraid and seek pricier living closer to where I'll be working?

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffyCatt View Post
Any thoughts on how my commute will be? Should I be afraid and seek pricier living closer to where I'll be working?
You will have an average commute for the DC area, maybe 45 minutes to an hour. The issue I see is that the Leslie Street house is closer to the Wheaton metro, and you really need to be on the other leg of the Red Line to get to Tenleytown. There are buses which will get you to the Grosvenor stop.

Nobody can answer whether you should spend more money and move closer to your work. It's your decision. Personally, I would save the money for the future.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 13,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You will have an average commute for the DC area, maybe 45 minutes to an hour. The issue I see is that the Leslie Street house is closer to the Wheaton metro, and you really need to be on the other leg of the Red Line to get to Tenleytown. There are buses which will get you to the Grosvenor stop.

Nobody can answer whether you should spend more money and move closer to your work. It's your decision. Personally, I would save the money for the future.
Thank you so much for the response. On the days that I can, would you recommend public transportation? Do you think that's generally faster than trying to drive (including taking a bus to Grosvenor and then riding the red line down from there)? I've never lived in the DC area (or a city for that matter), so I'm just trying to get a feel for the different options.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffyCatt View Post
On the days that I can, would you recommend public transportation? Do you think that's generally faster than trying to drive (including taking a bus to Grosvenor and then riding the red line down from there)?
Unless your employer is providing subsidized parking at your work site, I'd recommend public transportation. There are several reasons: 1. Parking is very expensive in DC. 2. The traffic is stop-and-go between Leslie Street and Tenleytown with lights at almost every corner. It may be a toss-up whether it's any faster. 3. The public transit is more predictable, while car traffic can snarl up unpredictably. 4. You can read, work or listen to music on the bus or Metro.

On another note. I haven't parked at the Grosvenor stop, but it's large with 1850+ spots. I don't know whether it fills up completely before 8AM. If it does fill up, you might look at taking a Ride-on bus to the Grosvenor or Medical Center. You may have to experiment with different options to find the best one. Good Luck on your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland