Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 29,092 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the DC area and are thinking of living in Arlington. One of us will work in DC, one will work in College Park. We are having a hard time finding places to live around College Park (we are looking in Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring) so we are considering Arlington since we are already familiar with that area and there are plenty of apartments that we an consider.

I know that we can take the metro from Crystal City to College Park, but if one were to consider driving it daily (driving from apartment next to Crystal City metro to job next to College Park metro) would you be considered nuts? How long would the drive take? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:25 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureLeprechauns View Post
but if one were to consider driving it daily (driving from apartment next to Crystal City metro to job next to College Park metro) would you be considered nuts? How long would the drive take?
No, you would not be nuts, but it would be very hard on your nerves and brutal on your shock absorbers. I believe the best route would be through the city and up Kenilworth Avenue or 295. These roads are frequently in bad shape from potholes. In addition your windshield will be damaged with rocks. I would keep my sanity and take Metro.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM

58 posts, read 86,083 times
You are spending 1/4 of your life on driving. 8 hours dream you make in VA is not different from one in College Park.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
If you have to do this, use Metro.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 PM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Getting off at College Park Metro means you will have to get on a bus.

I'd rather drive.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
How long would the drive take?
I just use Google maps, but it is 28 minutes to drive from the Crystal City metro stop in Arlington to College Park, MD using Kenilworth Avenue. I'd add at least a 50% fudge factor for traffic, and that will vary a lot depending on weather, construction and accidents. It might be faster than taking Metro if you consider the walking and transfers. Just be aware that you will put a lot of wear on your car.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
I'd say you can expect to spend at least an hour on the road each way. If a 2 hour commute per day is acceptable, go for it.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 29,092 times
Thanks all -- appreciate the feedback.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:
We are relocating to the DC area and are thinking of living in Arlington. One of us will work in DC, one will work in College Park. We are having a hard time finding places to live around College Park (we are looking in Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring) so we are considering Arlington since we are already familiar with that area and there are plenty of apartments that we an consider.

I know that we can take the metro from Crystal City to College Park, but if one were to consider driving it daily (driving from apartment next to Crystal City metro to job next to College Park metro) would you be considered nuts? How long would the drive take? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

what are your requirements - Id be suprised Crystal city could make more sense than Silver Spring. If you can accept slightly sketchier, I would look at Columbia Heights or Petworth in DC. Maybe even Mount Pleasant? Or sketchier and less to do, but better commute, maybe the Hyattsville Arts district in PG? Or Takoma Park (not so sketchy, but a different vibe). ? Or if you want quiter, Brookland in DC?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,779,703 times
I think you looking at more like an hour from Arlington to College Park. The tricky part will be getting on the other side of the river and getting away from the inbound traffic into DC. Once you get on the BW Pkwy you should be pretty wide open. You could even take the safe route and go south to the beltway and take that around to College Park. The outer loop of the Beltway doesn't really back up till you are well past the Route 1 exit to College Park, although a crash could produce a major delay. It would also really depend on how many surface streets in Arlington you would be on, so it would depend on where you live and how quickly you could get to 295. As you know, surface street congestion can really add a lot of time.

I would say 45 minutes to an hour most days, some times it might be 1.5 hours and some days much longer.

Silver Spring or even Bethesda would be a relatively easy commute. Downtown Silver Spring is really gentrifying and new apartment towers are still going up. You could always use metro too, which is a nice option even if you don't take it every day.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-20-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland