Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,652,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Aren't schools in Montgomery Count generally getting worse? I'm sure schools in richer parts of Montgomery County in Bethesda and Potomac will always be great, but I get the sense other areas of Montgomery County are getting worse.
That certainly hasn't been my experience. Sure, the county is no longer exclusively white/upper middle and upper class, so there are, e.g. ESL students who lower overall testing averages/increase free and reduced lunch ratios, but that obviously doesn't mean the schools and system are worse. They still offer top-tier teachers and infrastructure, ever-increasing course availability, abundant in-class and after school resources, etc.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,605 times
Quote:
Aren't schools in Montgomery County generally getting worse? I'm sure schools in richer parts of Montgomery County in Bethesda and Potomac will always be great, but I get the sense other areas of Montgomery County are getting worse.
Idk if there getting worse but some are better then others. and some schools outside of bethesda are great, like blair isn’t bad. Its all how the students come out. The parents are the ones rating these schools so high. Either way they still better then PG

Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 PM

29 posts, read 9,124 times
Strange list, OP. And the weather comment? Um, no... just, no.

Let me just say that I have lived in MoCo, in Silver Spring, for 40 years. I've worked the whole time, raised a family, never been robbed or attacked, kids grew to adulthood without having crimes committed against them and without committing crimes themselves. They attended public county schools and did great, went on to college elsewhere. We've had no problem with people being "bratty" or "spoiled" here, no matter their income bracket or area they live in. Education in MoCo is the best of all counties in MD. There is also plenty to do without having to go all over, but DC, Va and Baltimore are a drive away if you want more museums and other activities. Sure, traffic sucks... welcome to any city USA. I lived in PG county for one year... never, ever again. From corrupt police to higher property taxes, I'll be a MoCo resident for life. You can find decent housing in many pockets of MC. get a realtor and make them do their job... most are happy to!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 AM

118 posts, read 124,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCo4Life View Post
Strange list, OP. And the weather comment? Um, no... just, no.

Let me just say that I have lived in MoCo, in Silver Spring, for 40 years. I've worked the whole time, raised a family, never been robbed or attacked, kids grew to adulthood without having crimes committed against them and without committing crimes themselves. They attended public county schools and did great, went on to college elsewhere. We've had no problem with people being "bratty" or "spoiled" here, no matter their income bracket or area they live in. Education in MoCo is the best of all counties in MD. There is also plenty to do without having to go all over, but DC, Va and Baltimore are a drive away if you want more museums and other activities. Sure, traffic sucks... welcome to any city USA. I lived in PG county for one year... never, ever again. From corrupt police to higher property taxes, I'll be a MoCo resident for life. You can find decent housing in many pockets of MC. get a realtor and make them do their job... most are happy to!
My elderly mother lived in Colesville and was mugged at the Giant parking lot there. I know that's anecdotal, but still....

Also, MoCo schools are no longer the best in the state. According to this list (https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MD/districtrank.aspx), they ranked 10th in the state. I would imagine the increase in the socioeconomic and racial / ethnic diversity of the county is having it's effect on test scores.

Montgomery county has changed ALOT in 40 years!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,605 times
Quote:
My elderly mother lived in Colesville and was mugged at the Giant parking lot there. I know that's anecdotal, but still....

Also, MoCo schools are no longer the best in the state. According to this list (https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MD/districtrank.aspx), they ranked 10th in the state. I would imagine the increase in the socioeconomic and racial / ethnic diversity of the county is having it's effect on test scores.

Montgomery county has changed ALOT in 40 years!
But u gotta understand that u can argue all day with these types who think MOCO like beverly hills. just saying.. I’ve tried.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:50 PM

27,231 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
But u gotta understand that u can argue all day with these types who think MOCO like beverly hills. just saying.. I’ve tried.
Like I said before, the affluent areas of Montgomery County are excellent - some of the best places to live in Maryland and the U.S. The non-affluent areas are okay and may be hit or miss. Very few places are straight-up ghetto. I have yet to see anything approaching urban blight.

It's all about where the money is in this county.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM

633 posts, read 576,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Housing is expensive but how many comparable suburbs have redline Metro Acccess points that connect to any section of DC including DuPont circle, gallery place Chinatown, woodley park, navy yard, Oldtown Alexandria, smithsonian...from a stroll walk to a station and swipe a smart card ?

Traffic can be avoided by riding the DC metro

You wouldn't move to suburban DC most likely without a Govt, not-for-profit, or political or legal or govt contracting job and once in you have a lot of options within the system to navigate through USAJobs

Stuck-up and spoiled bratty people are present in any US city with preppie colleges. That would be true for almost any urban atmosphere. People are dependent on system functionalities in densely populated cities, where as rural country folks are self-reliant and less spoiled in these places. Country folks, however, are spoiled in how much patio space they think they need for one's backyard, where city folks are more open to public space sharing. The brat-ness works both ways.

Cold weather 7 months out of the year? Don't move to New England or the Midwest or the Pacific Northwest or Continental Europe whatever you do. DC's winters are seasonal for any typical temperate land with seasonality.

Now the PRO's
Montgomery county schools are ranked very high
Organic farmers markets and local grocery store options
Very diverse demographic of people
Very low crime
Historic landmarks and battlefields
Community events "wine tasting in Rockville" for example
Easy access into DC by metro
Hiking in Great Falls, MD and Billygoat trail
Maryland has no motor vehicle taxation
Bike trails, woods, hills, easy road access to George Washington Parkway
Good Chinese food, good crab cakes, good bakeries
An excise tax will be charged on the basis of 6% of the vehicle's book value or 6% of the purchase price on the notarized “Bill of Sale” for vehicles 7 years old or newer. For older vehicles, the tax is calculated on the purchase price. Maryland's minimum excise tax charged is $38.40, based on a minimum value of $640.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 PM

770 posts, read 1,128,460 times
A lot has been said here. I'm from Columbus originally and I like it better out here. The traffic (which is better than DC and NoVa) and taxes are about the only things I don't like.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:49 AM

490 posts, read 919,684 times
its funny how people are claiming how worse Montgomery county is and how it's getting worse. The last time I checked the median income for Montgomery county went from $92,000 to $98,000. Your right Montgomery county is going down hill LOL

Old 11-23-2016, 10:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,658,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
its funny how people are claiming how worse Montgomery county is and how it's getting worse. The last time I checked the median income for Montgomery county went from $92,000 to $98,000. Your right Montgomery county is going down hill LOL
Granted "downhill" is harsh.

The wealthy areas have expanded- my neighborhood was previously a place where plumbers and government workers resided. Now it mostly features big lobbyists, attorneys, doctors, etc. That is Washington and K street for you and might explain your stat.

Simultaneously a lot of the more modest neighborhoods are now mostly newcomers, illegal and otherwise. Not a lot of purchasing power in that sector.

So it seems to me, Montgomery County has become a lot like Los Angeles or even New York City, a great deal of moneyed people next to poor people. The traditional middle class fades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland