Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 31,116 times

Advertisements

Cons:

-housing is absurdly expensive
-traffic is horrendous
-jobs are hard to find
-stuck-up and spoiled bratty people
-cold weather 7 months out of the year

Pros:

???????????

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1 View Post
Cons:

It is, but so are a lot of other places in major metro areas.
-traffic is horrendous
I agree but I travel a reverse commute and normally walk (which people barely do these days) or take transit to avoid it.
-jobs are hard to find
What kind of jobs are you looking for? If you're trying to go into entertainment, this isn't the place.
In wealthier areas, yes, but that can be said for any wealthy place of a metro area.
Uh really? You sure you weren't in Minneapolis or Chicago?

Pros:

???????????
Some of your concerns don't make sense to some extent. No one is stopping you from leaving but please be more reasonable.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 31,116 times
This winter wasn't too bad but it was an anomaly.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
I personally don't enjoy cold weather either but the cold here is nothing like what my cousin in Chicago endures, and it is just about longer than a DC winter.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,000 times
Cons:

that's a fair criticism of all the "nice" parts of the dc metro area, including nova

-traffic is horrendous

same as above, but we do have metro access. I remember first moving to d.c. and actually being enthralled with the metro. Seriously, I thought being able to read the paper while commuting to school was AWESOME...

-jobs are hard to find

this totally depends. my husband found a good job here in 2 weeks, and he was searching in west virginia for a year

I don't know what this means, really...

Seriously? Winter in d.c. is so brief! Winter is dreary and summer is HOT, but fall and spring in this area are just glorious. I just revel in it. It's my favorite thing about being here, along with the architecture in downtown Washington, and the fact that everyone dresses so nice. I'm from West Virginia, where mom jeans, sweats, and camouflage are considered fashion staples (I am not exaggerating). Something about the fact that people in d.c. give a crap about their appearance is just... pleasant, you know? We're close to the ocean and the mountains, and there's a lot of natural beauty around even though it's an urban area. There are also so many fascinating, educated people in d.c., and museums, and events. When you come from a semi-rural area and you come here, home seems so... impoverished by comparison. I'm getting so used to things here I don't know if I can ever go back...

These criticisms seem applicable to the entire d.c. metro area. Don't live in an area that you hate! It's a big country, there's something right for you out there!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Cons:

-traffic is horrendous
-jobs are hard to find
The entire DC area is like that. Why only mention Montgomery County?

As far as jobs go - where in the United States are jobs plentiful? Please answer and list where they are.

Your definition of cold weather is weird to say the least.

Quote:
Pros:

???????????
Mulitple Metro stations
Short ride to DC and many area attractions
A short trip to many concert venues and theatre's
Upscale grocery stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and My Organic Market
Great restaurants
The ICC

Me thinks the OP needs to move to an isolated desert. That way you won't have to put up with rude people or cold weather. It doesn't appear you like city life at all.
Good luck getting a job out there...

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
all of those are either incorrect, or apply to the whole DC area.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,268 times
You Might Like Fargo or Bismark, North Dakota

Plenty of homes to be found under $150k in nice neighborhoods

-traffic is horrendous
There is no traffic

-jobs are hard to find
I belive they have the lowest unemployment rate in the country at the moment and they never really had a "downturn". (3.2%)

Down to earth, hard working people

YEP! Cold weather 7 months out of the year.

But 4/5 ain't bad

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,104 times
Quote:
Cons:

-traffic is horrendous
-jobs are hard to find

Pros:

???????????
Where are you originally from?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times
True. You pay for access. Access to downtown, metro, jobs, restaurants, museums, cultural centers, shopping, services and activities. Whether you take advantage of them is a different issue.

-traffic is horrendous
It is, but I think our friends in NoVa win the gold for horrific traffic. We take the silver. I can deal with traffic. It's the far too many bad drivers in said traffic who willfully drive distracted and refuse to use a turn signal.

-jobs are hard to find

Not really. There are tons of jobs out there. You just have to have the skills and the experience. Unfortunately the cost of higher education is becoming too far out of reach creating a large pool unqualified applicants for the jobs with salaries needed to live on your own and not in your childhood bedroom with your parents who bought the house when it cost $1 and will retire to NC or FL in a few more years and you'll get their house. I'm looking at resumes now. We requested a 4 year degree for an entry level position. Only 1 out a dozen candidates has one. When Mr. Lubina went to UMD it was less than $2,500 a semester. Now $2,500 will buy you one credit and half starbucks.

That varies. For every person with entitlement issues caught up in the whole I live *insert name of place they are so proud to call home and love telling others they live there but won't tell you they inherited the place from their parents/grandparents/rich uncle or their parents gave them the down payment or they have 3 mortgages on it, there is a chill person who doesn't drink the MoCo kool aid.

Not this year

MoCo is more crowded. There are people who must live here based on what they hear, but get sticker shock. Truth is the streets aren't paved with gold. There is crime. It just doesn't get as widely reported on tv. Check the patch or other papers. There are stabbings, robberies, purse snatchings, drug dealing and the like. They just take place in a brick front 3 BR 2.5 bath sfh basements rather than on the street corner. There are nice parts, not as nice parts, parts that are perfectly fine but are desperate to be linked to other nicer parts (aka any address that sticks "North" in front of a more upscale 'hood) up and coming parts and parts you wonder what the #$&! happened. Hate is far too strong a word, but if it is that bad, move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland