Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 54,850 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to the DC area soon. I will be working in DC near Union Station and going to college part time at UMD College Park. Any suggestions for areas that are safe, RELATIVELY affordable (I am moving from Manhattan and I understand the rental situation in the DC area is not much better), and w/i commuting distance to both DC and College Park?

I am a single woman in my early 30s...however, I have absolutely no desire to be surrounded by people my own age and am more looking for a quiet place to come home to. Also, a place where I can leave my cat daily and know that he'll be safe until I get home (he dislikes unexpected visitors even more than I do.) I make 70K/year and was budgeting about 1K/mo for a studio...although I'd go up to 1200 or 1300/mo if need be. And if DC is truly like NYC, I understand I may be looking at even more $. Racially diverse but safe is important to me.

I would like to be close to a Metro if at all possible and was wondering about towns around the Greenbelt station? I also don't mind driving to the train though.

I've spent much time in MD and the DC area previously. I'm familiar with Arlington in VA, which is out of my price range and doesn't really have a comfy vibe for me, and the B'more area, which is farther out than I wanted to be. I'm originally from Central PA and prefer woods to the city honestly.

Any advice is deeply appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venditto View Post
I would like to be close to a Metro if at all possible and was wondering about towns around the Greenbelt station? I also don't mind driving to the train though.
There will be nothing that is safe, quiet, close to Metro and less than $1000. Most of the locations near Metro are not especially quiet either. I don't think you would consider Greenbelt safe or quiet.

I have been suggesting the northern parts of Silver Spring (Layhill Road area) or Olney. You will probably spend $1200-1300 for a one-bedroom in a pet-friendly building. (There are few studios in the suburbs.) You might also look for people renting out condos on Craiglsist and Realtor.com, as they tend to be better maintained than apartment complextes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland