Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of buying a home in Fort Washington. The prices are affordable and it would be cheaper than renting. We have a 1 year old child though so schools are something I do worry about for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My husband and I are thinking of buying a home in Fort Washington. The prices are affordable and it would be cheaper than renting. We have a 1 year old child though so schools are something I do worry about for the future.
I think its a good idea but like most areas it depends on the neighborhood. Have you identified specific neighborhoods that you are seeking advise? As for school at this time that is going to be a challenge. Since your child is young you should be okay through elementary school. As you are probably aware you can always supplement what your child does in school with informal learning experiences like visiting the library on Saturdays, sports clubs with the boys and girls club, and trips to the museums downtown.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
Thanks. we are looking to buy a home in Caltor Manor. Do you know anything about this neighborhood?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
I would be a part torn if I were in your position. On one hand you look at the prices and the opportunity to get a nice home for your family, but there are a few question marks. The pricing is great now, but with no sign of stabilization of the real estate market in PG, who is to say that you can't still lose value even at these prices? Also with the school situation, you have to think if you have to stay there long term given how uncertain selling maybe in the near future, are you okay with some of the issues that the school system has. In that neighborhood, your child school would be Rose Valley Elementary, which has been doing awful with standardized testing, especially considering that it's not a Title 1 school. Would you be okay with sending your child to a school like that? It is true that this school can improve, but considering the recent history do you think it will change that much by the time your baby is ready for school? Do you think private school would be a realistic option? Those are some of the things to consider.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Thanks. we are looking to buy a home in Caltor Manor. Do you know anything about this neighborhood?
My knowledge of that neighborhood echos of PGTitan. If you are planning on being in the area long term then I wouldn't be as concerned about home value. Homes are down everywhere and increases in values are not expected for the next 5 to 10 years. It might also help for you to look at some of the plans for the area to see where it is going and how it will improve over time. That includes reviewing the school systems plans as well as PG Planning/DAMS. You can then gauge the resell value over the next few years.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I would be a part torn if I were in your position. On one hand you look at the prices and the opportunity to get a nice home for your family, but there are a few question marks. The pricing is great now, but with no sign of stabilization of the real estate market in PG, who is to say that you can't still lose value even at these prices? Also with the school situation, you have to think if you have to stay there long term given how uncertain selling maybe in the near future, are you okay with some of the issues that the school system has. In that neighborhood, your child school would be Rose Valley Elementary, which has been doing awful with standardized testing, especially considering that it's not a Title 1 school. Would you be okay with sending your child to a school like that? It is true that this school can improve, but considering the recent history do you think it will change that much by the time your baby is ready for school? Do you think private school would be a realistic option? Those are some of the things to consider.
Rose Valley was one of the schools I subbed at for several years. I know a few people who still volunteer at the school. I wouldn't write off Rose Valley.

The school did not meet AYP for students on free/reduced lunch and in mathematics for black/African American students in 2011. But over 80% of the kids were proficient in reading. About 72% of the kids were found in proficient in math. The school also has a 95% attendance rate.

Rose Valley has always had a good vibe to me. A lot of the same teachers are still there. Most of them were good solid teachers and friendly. One teacher even cooked breakfast for her students on big test days.

The children were sweet. Some have recognized me out at malls or at restaurants and they always wave or speak. Then they tell their parents that I was one of their teachers. I never had to deal with any major behavior problems. A smart kid with involved parents will thrive at the school.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Rose Valley was one of the schools I subbed at for several years. I know a few people who still volunteer at the school. I wouldn't write off Rose Valley.

The school did not meet AYP for students on free/reduced lunch and in mathematics for black/African American students in 2011. But over 80% of the kids were proficient in reading. About 72% of the kids were found in proficient in math. The school also has a 95% attendance rate.

Rose Valley has always had a good vibe to me. A lot of the same teachers are still there. Most of them were good solid teachers and friendly. One teacher even cooked breakfast for her students on big test days.

The children were sweet. Some have recognized me out at malls or at restaurants and they always wave or speak. Then they tell their parents that I was one of their teachers. I never had to deal with any major behavior problems. A smart kid with involved parents will thrive at the school.
I don't deny anything that you said is true, but unfortunate in the climate of where education is, test scores matter more than ever, especially in PG County. When you have a school like this that doesn't have good scores and did not make AYP, you're looking at an unstable school environment. My wife worked in a school that was in this situation and trust me, it can completely change the environment in a school building because you are going from having a stable job to people CYB-ing in order to keep their job. There is a chance that administration and staff could be moved around and the quality of the education can vary depending on what happens. I'm sure you know this more than any of us. To me, that is a red-flag. That may not be a deal breaker but that is something to consider.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm originally from Ohio, so I know how much price is a shocker when it comes to this region. Fort Washington will most definitely stabilize, and here are my arguments as to why:

(1) The general cost of houses have already bottomed out in the area, including Fort Washington.
(2) There has been a recent spike in home purchasing in Fort Washington
(3) The DC region has been developed on every single side (North, West, South) except for the Fort Washington side. It is only a matter of time before investors start saying, 'it's cheaper to gentrify Fort Washington than to keep building houses that are less appealing further and further away. Just look at how Woodbridge turned out!'
(4) PG County officials have made strong efforts to entice businesses and commerce, most notably in recent years with the addition of the bridge and the creation of the somewhat successful National Harbor.
(5) Although Fort Washington is notably heavily African-American, there are an ever-growing number of other cultural groups moving in (for personal record, I am white and my wife is Chinese). I think that in 10 years time, there will be a more multicultural neighborhood in Fort Washington, which will be a great thing both socially and in the eyes of investors.

That said, the schools will suck in this area for the next 5 years minimum. As someone already said, that's not a big deal for elementary school. However, the specific school that you will be having your kid go to, however, is indeed very poor academically. I am personally buying a new home in the recently opened Tantallon on the Potomac neighborhood, which already is halfway sold out in 3 weeks. The houses are just as fantastic, the land is a little bit smaller than the community you are interested in but the view is way better (my plot is overlooking all of Virginia and the Potomac), and the school is the 'decent' (best in the area) public school Potomac Landing Elementary. I have no problem sending my daughter (she is currently 2) to that school, and when she is big enough for middle school I will see what the environment is like. It is probably still cheaper to send her to private school at that time than to move to Arlington, so....

Hope I helped. Best of luck to you, and maybe you can be my neighbor! Here is the web address of the builder developing the area I'm at. The prices are OUTRAGEOUS.

Tantallon On The Potomac | New Homes in Ft Washington, MD

Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm originally from Ohio, so I know how much price is a shocker when it comes to this region. Fort Washington will most definitely stabilize, and here are my arguments as to why:

(1) The general cost of houses have already bottomed out in the area, including Fort Washington.
(2) There has been a recent spike in home purchasing in Fort Washington
(3) The DC region has been developed on every single side (North, West, South) except for the Fort Washington side. It is only a matter of time before investors start saying, 'it's cheaper to gentrify Fort Washington than to keep building houses that are less appealing further and further away. Just look at how Woodbridge turned out!'
(4) PG County officials have made strong efforts to entice businesses and commerce, most notably in recent years with the addition of the bridge and the creation of the somewhat successful National Harbor.
(5) Although Fort Washington is notably heavily African-American, there are an ever-growing number of other cultural groups moving in (for personal record, I am white and my wife is Chinese). I think that in 10 years time, there will be a more multicultural neighborhood in Fort Washington, which will be a great thing both socially and in the eyes of investors.

That said, the schools will suck in this area for the next 5 years minimum. As someone already said, that's not a big deal for elementary school. However, the specific school that you will be having your kid go to, however, is indeed very poor academically. I am personally buying a new home in the recently opened Tantallon on the Potomac neighborhood, which already is halfway sold out in 3 weeks. The houses are just as fantastic, the land is a little bit smaller than the community you are interested in but the view is way better (my plot is overlooking all of Virginia and the Potomac), and the school is the 'decent' (best in the area) public school Potomac Landing Elementary. I have no problem sending my daughter (she is currently 2) to that school, and when she is big enough for middle school I will see what the environment is like. It is probably still cheaper to send her to private school at that time than to move to Arlington, so....

Hope I helped. Best of luck to you, and maybe you can be my neighbor! Here is the web address of the builder developing the area I'm at. The prices are OUTRAGEOUS.

Tantallon On The Potomac | New Homes in Ft Washington, MD
Those are some really nice homes and they are pretty CHEAP, I am still young right now so Ft. Washington is still a bit too rural for me (no metro access, restaurants, shopping, etc...) but I wouldn't mind purchasing in this area when I am a little older and have a family...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
[quote=molukai;24152542I am personally buying a new home in the recently opened Tantallon on the Potomac neighborhood.[/quote]

Tantallon on the Potomac has existed since the 1960s. The very first home there opened in 1961. Compared with other suburbs, it's still rather inconvenient to major shopping, dining, colleges/universities, culture, and metrorail. Granted, the widening of the Wilson Bridge has helped access to VA. And the new local police station is finally underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland