Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between the two? Pretty much same thing? One is more expensive?

Google maps doesn't cover them at all...but there is small sliver into Kentlands on google maps. Definitely looks mixed, but looks 100% residential.

Is there a bit of mixed-use in there as well...places where people can walk to a restaurant or a convenience store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:15 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Lakelands is just about all residential, while the Kentlands has a large portion filled with various shopping and businesses. It is easily walkable to everything. I don't get what you mean by Google maps not covering it all. Looks like it does to me.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Lakelands is just about all residential, while the Kentlands has a large portion filled with various shopping and businesses. It is easily walkable to everything. I don't get what you mean by Google maps not covering it all. Looks like it does to me.
Really?

Google Maps Am we using the same one?

For me, it skips the street view for everything in Lakelands, and 95% of Kentlands. You are getting the street views as well?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the difference between the two? Pretty much same thing? One is more expensive?

Google maps doesn't cover them at all...but there is small sliver into Kentlands on google maps. Definitely looks mixed, but looks 100% residential.

Is there a bit of mixed-use in there as well...places where people can walk to a restaurant or a convenience store?
I've been to Kmart there and to me, it is walkable. There are a number of restaurants and some shopping like kmart, and movie theater, gym, etc. Lakeland residential with different housing options.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:

This is a link to the kentlands photo tour. It has it's own shopping district. It's too bad you missed it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...tside-d-c.html

Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Really?

Google Maps Am we using the same one?

For me, it skips the street view for everything in Lakelands, and 95% of Kentlands. You are getting the street views as well?
That's what I mean. I didn't understand what you meant. I didn't know you meant street view, which is an option I rarely use.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM

35 posts, read 65,898 times
Generally, both are expensive DC suburban planned communities. Lakelands is nice, clean, safe and expensive but Kentlands is more expensive. Kentlands has a gym, Whole Foods, post office, lots of restaurants (chain and local), Kmart, Giant food, pet stores (big box and organic), several spas and salons.

Both neighborhoods are very walkable, have pools and clubhouses. Kentlands gets very busy in the evenings and weekends with the farmer's market and other retail shopping. If you live on a side street you won't notice.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM

207 posts, read 432,499 times
Kentlands' housing stock is generally more upscale and expensive than Lakelands. (though they are both located in the most desirable western part of Gaithersburg 20878.)

The housing stock is 5-10 years older in Kentlands so the landscaping is more mature. There are quaint, tree-lined streets, lots of white picket fences. There are little parks anywhere there is available space. The houses all have shake roofs, and are sided in a mixture of wood clapboard siding and brick. Mitchell and Best built the majority of the homes here. They are known for being upscale builders. You have some classic 'mainstreet' rowhouses and townhomes, some with store fronts below and residences above. There are some condos, but most homes are townhomes are single family. The houses are painted in period appropriate colors, the shutters are wood, not vinyl. It has a more genuine historic neighborhood look and feel than Lakelands.

There are many accessible shops, restaurants, big box stores, a movie theater, a performing arts center, and even houses of worship right in Kentlands. It is as close to walkable self-sufficient as an outer suburb community can be. The commercial district of Kentlands as just as easily walkable from Lakelands, if not more so.

Google Maps Streetview has been updated (early 2013) throughout the DC metro and all of Kentlands and Lakelands are available now in HD to explore, Tiger Beer.

Lakelands houses are pretty much all clad in vinyl siding and all have asphalt shingle roofs. The overall look is quite different. Everything is built at a higher density in Lakelands. (Doesn't have that same old time feel.) I think Ryan built a lot of these houses. There are far fewer trees in Lakelands, as the land was all clearcut before development. It is priced more affordably than Kentlands, but not by a lot. The aesthetic in Kentlands is more appealing, IMO. Lakelands does have some nice sports fields and common spaces, though.

Rachel Carson Elementary is in Kentlands, while Lakelands Park middle is in Lakelands. Both neighborhoods are located in the best school district in Gaithersburg.

Last edited by PGC Native; 03-08-2013 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland