Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times

Advertisements

I think we REALLY need to create a list of stats for PG county that we all can refer to when getting into debates and discussions. To simply say this areas is "dangerous" or there are no white people in this areas or that is not sufficient. I thin if we compile a list of websites with crime, education, and ethnic stats (the census was just taken), we can have more factual arguments in here. What do you say?I would even go as far to ask that this thread be pinned. Below is a list of things that would be good to have stats to reference:

1. Crime (crime types in the county and the ability to drill down)
2. Education (test scores, graduation rates, rankings)
3. Racial diversity
4. Real estate market (home values)
5. Income
6. Commerce (not sure what in commerce they have stats on)

No talking. Just post links if ya got 'em. Then we can refer to this thread when holding discussions in other forums. I mean the name of this website IS city-data. go figure.

Note: Try to post links that won't get old. It would be nice to click a link and get updated stats without clicking a link to stats that are 5 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
For Education Test Scores, Demographics:

Prince George's County Public Schools - Upper Marlboro MD

For Education Graduation Rates, Attendance, Testing, AYP:

Prince George's County : 2011 Maryland Report Card

For Finding School Districts based on your Address:

School Finder - Find Your Attendance Area School

For Prince George's County Demographics:

Prince George's County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Prince George's County, Maryland QuickLinks from the US Census Bureau

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,515 times
This site shows the population and racial demographics of each Census Tract in the country from the 2010 Census (just zoom in to PG County):
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

This site shows a map of all homicides in PG County from 2005-2011:
All murders in Prince George's County, MD 2005-2011

The main page of that site (burgersub.org - maps of murder) is updated with homicides from this year covering most of the mid-Atlantic from western Connecticut down to northern North Carolina.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
This site shows the population and racial demographics of each Census Tract in the country from the 2010 Census (just zoom in to PG County):
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

This site shows a map of all homicides in PG County from 2005-2011:
All murders in Prince George's County, MD 2005-2011

The main page of that site (burgersub.org - maps of murder) is updated with homicides from this year covering most of the mid-Atlantic from western Connecticut down to northern North Carolina.
Inside the Beltway looks like a war zone. Outside the Beltway has a lot more murders than I would have thought. I wonder if you standardized PG's murder rate to just inside the beltway would it be the murder capital of the country?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Inside the Beltway looks like a war zone. Outside the Beltway has a lot more murders than I would have thought. I wonder if you standardized PG's murder rate to just inside the beltway would it be the murder capital of the country?
Quote:
No talking. Just post links if ya got 'em. Then we can refer to this thread when holding discussions in other forums. I mean the name of this website IS city-data. go figure.
Ed,

This thread is for data only. We can start a crime thread or resurrect one of the hundreds already started. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Another site that keeps up with PG Murders:

Gory Prince George's

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Ed,

This thread is for data only. We can start a crime thread or resurrect one of the hundreds already started. Thanks.
Sorry just observing the stats and was curious if there was data for inside the beltway only.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
This site contains a blogroll (see bottom right corner) that includes crime-related and other PG-related blogs. While they are not statistics-only, the ones that I have viewed often have good information.

The Real Prince Georges | A Blog about Prince George's from Prince Georgian's

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Information on Prince George's municipalities.

Prince George's County, MD : About the County

Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No Ed, let's say there's 100 murders in pg and 80% occur inside the beltway. Let's assume the nner beltway population was 400k. That's 80/4= murder rate of 20. That's comparable to a city like Atlanta or Miami but not a murder capital like New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland