Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,152 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start work in Greenbelt. I'm looking for a single apartment, and the top of my price range is $1400. I don't necessarily need or want to live in Greenbelt, just somewhere that is reasonably commutable.

I have friends who live in the city, so it would be nice to live close to them. However, if I lived in the city I would not want to get a car, and it seems the commute via metro/bus from there to Greenbelt would be close to 1.5 hours. If I were to live in Greenbelt I would get a car and the commute would be no problem. However, I'm fresh out of college and would prefer to live somewhere within walking or very short driving distance to nightlife and/or a metro stop, which Greenbelt seems to lack.

The recruiter at my company recommended Silver Spring as a nice compromise. It seems urban, so walking distance to nightlife and a metro into DC, and it seems to be only a 20 minute drive to Greenbelt (so more with traffic, but hopefully within reason). Does anyone have opinions on that area? It seems a little higher in price than Greenbelt. Any other suggestions that I may not have heard of?

I went apartment hunting in Greenbelt for a day last week and have to say I was a little turned off. The places I saw were pretty hit or miss, and none were what I was looking for in terms of location. Am I just missing the best areas, or do I need to up my price range to get what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noj11jon View Post
I'm about to start work in Greenbelt. I'm looking for a single apartment, and the top of my price range is $1400. I don't necessarily need or want to live in Greenbelt, just somewhere that is reasonably commutable.

I have friends who live in the city, so it would be nice to live close to them. However, if I lived in the city I would not want to get a car, and it seems the commute via metro/bus from there to Greenbelt would be close to 1.5 hours. If I were to live in Greenbelt I would get a car and the commute would be no problem. However, I'm fresh out of college and would prefer to live somewhere within walking or very short driving distance to nightlife and/or a metro stop, which Greenbelt seems to lack.

The recruiter at my company recommended Silver Spring as a nice compromise. It seems urban, so walking distance to nightlife and a metro into DC, and it seems to be only a 20 minute drive to Greenbelt (so more with traffic, but hopefully within reason). Does anyone have opinions on that area? It seems a little higher in price than Greenbelt. Any other suggestions that I may not have heard of?

I went apartment hunting in Greenbelt for a day last week and have to say I was a little turned off. The places I saw were pretty hit or miss, and none were what I was looking for in terms of location. Am I just missing the best areas, or do I need to up my price range to get what I'm looking for?
To be young and wanting a night life, Greenbelt is definitely not going to be your cup of tea. You definitely want to try Silver Spring. That is probably the closest place that meets your wants, but I would also consider some place like College Park. It may not have as much of a night life as Silver Spring, but it has a metro station, is close to Greenbelt, has obviously a lot of college aged people around and still has quite a few places for you to go to for night life.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noj11jon View Post

At least College Park has a few sports bars. A few now have live music on the weekends like Looneys where you can go dancing. The Santa Fe Cafe is currently being transformed into a new restaurant with live jazz, blues, and R&B. I think it would be better for a person in their 20s who wants nightlife in the suburbs to be closer to a major college campus. College Park is not where it should be as a top 10 college town, but it is slowly improving. And I'm sure hitting the same spots will get old, but if you're talking about trying to find nightlife in the suburbs. That's pretty hard to do.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM

687 posts, read 1,378,090 times
If your definition of nightlife is a chain restaurant that has a lounge then there are plenty of places in Greenbelt or College Park to drink. If you are looking for trendy or hip then the closest nightlife to Greenbelt would be downtown Silver Spring or Bethesda. Both areas are right off the Beltway so it is a pretty straight shot in a car.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
If your definition of nightlife is a chain restaurant that has a lounge then there are plenty of places in Greenbelt or College Park to drink. If you are looking for trendy or hip then the closest nightlife to Greenbelt would be downtown Silver Spring or Bethesda. Both areas are right off the Beltway so it is a pretty straight shot in a car.

As far as I know, College Park has more local restaurants and bars than chains.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 AM

9 posts, read 12,599 times
Ive lived here in Greenbelt for 20 years now and while crime is slowing going down, which is good, there are a number of things to do here. You are as equally close to the Greenbelt Metro (Green Line) as you are from the New Carrollton Metro (Orange Line). You are super close to 95/495 and 295 as well. College Park is only 10 minutes away and Bowie is 15 minutes away. Greenbelt also has Greenbelt Park which is great for hiking, camping, bike riding, walking trails or picnics. Greenbelt Lake offers the same, with a big lake as well. The condo I live in and have owned for 20 years, is a nice, quiet community. I do know alot of the 1-BR units that are being rented will go for about $1000-$1100 within your range and that includes the condo fee and everything such as utilities, water, trash removal, upkeep, heat/AC, electricity, etc. If you want more info, let me know and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland