U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM

19 posts, read 29,325 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone works at UMUC (University of Maryland University College) in Adelphi, MD (in the IT dept or otherwise) and has any feedback on work environment, culture, stability of the organization etc.

Appreciate your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM

12,427 posts, read 23,497,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAtoCO View Post
Just wondering if anyone works at UMUC (University of Maryland University College) in Adelphi, MD (in the IT dept or otherwise) and has any feedback on work environment, culture, stability of the organization etc.
My husband used to work in the IT department when they were installing PeopleSoft, several years ago. UMUC won't go out of business, but they have had budget cuts. They tended to hire young folks who needed training, and there was some dead-wood on the payroll. There was "politics", but he could tolerate it.

BTW, if you plan to work there, I suggest moving closer than Chantilly.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Thank you for your input! Do you have any insight into the severity of the budget cuts? From what I understand, UMUC derives revenue from students and only relies on the state for a small portion of it's funding.

Also, we own a place in Chantilly and so can't move any closer. How bad do you think the commute is? (assuming I can leave early like 6:30 am or so and leave back at 4 pm or so)?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM

12,427 posts, read 23,497,886 times
Quote:
Do you have any insight into the severity of the budget cuts? From what I understand, UMUC derives revenue from students and only relies on the state for a small portion of it's funding.... How bad do you think the commute is? (assuming I can leave early like 6:30 am or so and leave back at 4 pm or so)?
As my hubby was there 15 years ago, I don't know about the current budget. I think it is true that UMUC derives most of its revenue from students. It does run many overseas programs on military bases. These question are best answered by your future manager. (But you have to remember that no job in IT is really secure. You have to keep your skills up to date.)

Regarding commuting, when others have said at least an hour, I have to agree. Maybe if you can leave even earlier, like 5:30, the traffic would be easier. There were always morning snarls in the traffic from Virginia into Maryland.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

6,769 posts, read 8,372,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My husband used to work in the IT department when they were installing PeopleSoft, several years ago. UMUC won't go out of business, but they have had budget cuts. They tended to hire young folks who needed training, and there was some dead-wood on the payroll. There was "politics", but he could tolerate it.

BTW, if you plan to work there, I suggest moving closer than Chantilly.

I'm a UMUC grad student. let me just say they "upgraded" MyUMUC and it is horrific. It provides LESS information than the previous version. I'm a tad ticked off, but since I only have two classes left, I'll get over it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your input! Do you have any insight into the severity of the budget cuts? From what I understand, UMUC derives revenue from students and only relies on the state for a small portion of it's funding.
I imagine this would be the case with any private or state funded university which is why there is competition for students among colleges. Without students paying tuition, there's now way the state could fund not one, but multiple state universities. That would be like offering free education. Which doesn't happen. Some state and private schools also get revenue from college sports, TV deals, etc. At least for the major state universities.

UMUC exists now because they don't require brick and mortar buildings for all of its students. With 100% of its classes being offered online, UMUC doesn't have to worry about a 1000 acre physical campus. It also offers less degree programs than UMD College Park. It is a nice model for any state higher ed system wanting to reach out to students all over the world.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks Adelphi_Sky. Appreciate the insight from someone enrolled at UMUC. Do you know of anyone who works there and know about the work culture and environment?

I live in Chantilly, VA and have to factor in a long commute. So want to get as much insight as I can before making a decision on the job opportunity.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks Adelphi_Sky. Appreciate the insight from someone enrolled at UMUC. Do you know of anyone who works there and know about the work culture and environment?

I live in Chantilly, VA and have to factor in a long commute. So want to get as much insight as I can before making a decision on the job opportunity.

Actually one of my classmates works in the IT department. From what he talked about his job, there weren't any complaints or any hints of cutbacks. UMUC is one of the better online institutions. It can certainly be better though. Think about an online ivy-league. UMUC has a long way to go and I do wish the best for them. They've been in distance learning longer than most online universities out there. They should be the industry leader, but somehow that is not the case. Not yet anyway.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Thanks Adelphi - that's useful information!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM

43 posts, read 85,230 times
If it helps, I know someone in the library at UMUC who commutes from Alexandria. Both the Largo and the Adelphi locations are just off 495. It'll take you about an hour each way, and more, depending on traffic. I was a student worker there and it seemed pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland