Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 AM

503 posts, read 806,806 times

Advertisements

It's sad that the largest part of the discussion is the racial makeup of the school as opposed to purely what the academics of the school have to offer.

Who really cares what the color of the student body's skin is?

If you want to chase this flawed notion of "diversity" send your kid to a school in PG County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM

70 posts, read 152,040 times
Well the color of the student body itself shouldnt really matter hypothetically, but PG County and Balimore both have mostly black student bodies and they are the two worst performing school districts in the state so I guess it actually does matter. I would dread the idea of having to send my child to any PG county high school, though in reality most of them probably arent really that bad. I would just rather have my child surrounded by students who have parents that actually care about their education and id rather have my child surrounded by more students from good homes and neighborhoods as opposed to a bunch of students from drug and crime infested neighborhoods and bad homes. As far as the OPs choice goes, you really cant go wrong with either BCC or WJ. Both are great schools in great neighborhoods. Im not sure either has a particular advantage over the other.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times
"Who really cares what the color of the student body's skin is?"

Well, we do. It is one of the many factors we are considering. Back to comparing/contrasting WJ and BCC.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
I am a student at WJ, it is a very good school. There are some potheads/stoners who like to smoke right off campus during lunch, but I suspect this is normal at most high schools. Regarding "diversity", most of the AP and honors classes are dominated by white/asian students while the standard level classes tend to be much more heterogeneous. This is just my observation. If I had to give an honest comparison of WJ to other MoCo schools I would put it in the top 5. Most of the magnet programs were designed to snatch high achieving students from the Bethesda schools and then place them in worse off schools in order to "balance things out".

Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
BCC and WJ are almost the same, both very white and rich and good schools. Blair is the biggest HS in MD and its very diverse but their honors program is as good as the best schools judging by the many notable people in media and politics who have come out of there. Blair is so big it has kids of all types and a massive selection of classes. It's a lot less like a typical high school with popular and unpopular kids and a caste system because there's so many people, no one really knows everyone in their grade similar to a small college.
On a side note.... Blair is not the biggest high school in Maryland. Dr. Henry A. Wise High School and Northwestern High School in Prince Georges County, are both larger.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
On a side note.... Blair is not the biggest high school in Maryland. Dr. Henry A. Wise High School and Northwestern High School in Prince Georges County, are both larger.
Wrong.

Wise and Northwestern aren't even the two largest schools in PG County.

Bowie - 2912
Roosevelt - 2669
Wise - 2651
Northwestern - 2452

Blair - 2857

Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Wrong.

Wise and Northwestern aren't even the two largest schools in PG County.

Bowie - 2912
Roosevelt - 2669
Wise - 2651
Northwestern - 2452

Blair - 2857
Would you please stop trying to hijack this thread.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibralter View Post
I am a student at WJ, it is a very good school. There are some potheads/stoners who like to smoke right off campus during lunch, but I suspect this is normal at most high schools. Regarding "diversity", most of the AP and honors classes are dominated by white/asian students while the standard level classes tend to be much more heterogeneous. This is just my observation. If I had to give an honest comparison of WJ to other MoCo schools I would put it in the top 5. Most of the magnet programs were designed to snatch high achieving students from the Bethesda schools and then place them in worse off schools in order to "balance things out".
Are the kids in your school well-behaved? You know, are there fights, bullies, noisy hallways during the change of classes, etc.?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
"Who really cares what the color of the student body's skin is?"

Well, we do. It is one of the many factors we are considering. Back to comparing/contrasting WJ and BCC.
But >why< does it matter?

Are you that blinded by race that you would use that as a deciding factor as opposed to the quality of instruction?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:00 AM

Walter Johnson:
Attached Thumbnails
How do BCC, Walter Johnson, and Montgomery Blair fare against each other?-screen-shot-2012-05-12-5.59.30  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland