Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The Census moved to Suitland when it was still farmland. Not a good comparison.

It's doubtful they would choose to locate in the area today.

History: Suitland Federal Center
I understand that. I actually work there. My point was that they just recently built two new buildings in the past 6 or 7 years there, when Suitland was an awful area. There has been many times when the government has just decided to move an agency to a completely different area (i.e. parts of USDA, Homeland Security, Patent & Trade, NOAA-NCPC). They had every reason to simply move the Census or the NOAA to a new area, but they decided to keep them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
Quote:
The Census moved to Suitland when it was still farmland. Not a good comparison.

It's doubtful they would choose to locate in the area today.

History: Suitland Federal Center
I'm fairly sure that person was speaking on the BRAND NEW replacement Census Buildings that were constructed in the last decade... something the feds clearly didn't have to build and could have relocated. Having a blonde moment?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I'm fairly sure that person was speaking on the BRAND NEW replacement Census Buildings that were constructed in the last decade... something the feds clearly didn't have to build and could have relocated. Having a blonde moment?
No but why would they build somewhere else when they have the available land and infrastructure? The Census is like Fort knox over there at this juncture they might as well go all out.

Btw how much economic activity does the Census generate in the immediate area anyway?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I understand that. I actually work there. My point was that they just recently built two new buildings in the past 6 or 7 years there, when Suitland was an awful area. There has been many times when the government has just decided to move an agency to a completely different area (i.e. parts of USDA, Homeland Security, Patent & Trade, NOAA-NCPC). They had every reason to simply move the Census or the NOAA to a new area, but they decided to keep them there.
Ok please tell me where in this area one can get 50 acres near a Metro Station? Well not in PG atleast. Picking up and moving isn't that easy. I guess the Feds could do it but it wouldn't be cheap.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Ok please tell me where in this area one can get 50 acres near a Metro Station? Well not in PG atleast. Picking up and moving isn't that easy. I guess the Feds could do it but it wouldn't be cheap.
It's not that simple. There are many agencies in that complex. If the Census or NOAA moved it wouldn't require finding as much land else where because they only take up a portion of that facility. The Census building is huge but there are other metro stations that have land that would at least fit one agency like Census or NOAA. I think the campus looks way bigger than what it is to an outsider but there is a lot empty land in the complex. I mean honestly if someone held a gun to your head, would you choose to be in Suitland or Largo?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:

Well, for one thing, the FBI headquarters doesn't occupy 50 acres in DC at the current moment. They just occupy one city block. Second, the GSA has come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper for the FBI to relocate than to try to upgrade their current building, which is why they are proposing to look for new digs elsewhere. Currently, the GSA is pushing TOD locations. (Not sure what they were thinking with the Mark Center fiasco in Alexandria. Politics I guess). Out of the 15 metro stations in PG, there are at least 4 that has the space. All have reasonable access to 495 or 95 as well.

1. Largo
2. New Carrollton
3. Greenbelt
4. West Hyattsville

Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 PM

48 posts, read 80,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It's not that simple. There are many agencies in that complex. If the Census or NOAA moved it wouldn't require finding as much land else where because they only take up a portion of that facility. The Census building is huge but there are other metro stations that have land that would at least fit one agency like Census or NOAA. I think the campus looks way bigger than what it is to an outsider but there is a lot empty land in the complex. I mean honestly if someone held a gun to your head, would you choose to be in Suitland or Largo?
Well, it is PG County so the chances of having a gun held to your head would be higher there then in Montgomery County or across the river in VA. I'm just saying, you set yourself up for an answer like this with the way you phrased the answer(so if it wasn't me that said it, someone else would have). Honestly, I think all of DC is just a rolling opportunity for gentrification and eventually the poor areas become the only affordable areas and therefore are prime locales for rehabing and upgrading. I also believe that there is only so high a cost that the high-cost areas can sustain, and eventually that bubble will pop too.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Well, for one thing, the FBI headquarters doesn't occupy 50 acres in DC at the current moment. They just occupy one city block. Second, the GSA has come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper for the FBI to relocate than to try to upgrade their current building, which is why they are proposing to look for new digs elsewhere. Currently, the GSA is pushing TOD locations. (Not sure what they were thinking with the Mark Center fiasco in Alexandria. Politics I guess). Out of the 15 metro stations in PG, there are at least 4 that has the space. All have reasonable access to 495 or 95 as well.

1. Largo
2. New Carrollton
3. Greenbelt
4. West Hyattsville
I was referring to the feasability of moving the Census Bureau from its current location in Suitland.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
I was referring to the feasability of moving the Census Bureau from its current location in Suitland.
Oh. My bad. I thought we were talking about the FBI at first before the Census Bureau. Yeah, I don't see a reason why they would move the Census. I'm also not sure why there hasn't been much development over the past ten years around the complex.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Oh. My bad. I thought we were talking about the FBI at first before the Census Bureau. Yeah, I don't see a reason why they would move the Census. I'm also not sure why there hasn't been much development over the past ten years around the complex.
Money. They have had big plans for Suitland but then the recession hit. They started on some of it by tearing down some of the old drug infested apartments, building a new building for Suitland Elementary and building a new affording housing complex (Windsor Crossing). That is as far as they got. They were supposed to reface the entire strip of stores, make them uniform and give them an old town look with a mid-century type font on street signs and business signs. I also heard they were supposed to tear down Suitland Corner (strip mall at the corner of Suitland and Silver Hill Roads), but that is also still there. They have their work cut out because most of the Federal buildings on site have their own stuff like banks, gyms, coffee shops, convenience stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland