U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,603,547 times

Advertisements

D.C. Area Schools - The Washington Post

All from this link:

Ranking America's High Schools - The Washington Post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM

745 posts, read 948,611 times
Whitman is widely regarded as the most competitive public high school in MoCo. They sent five or six students to Harvard in 2010. Did I see them ranked 17th? A priori, makes me question the validity of the methods used to rate the schools.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 AM

12,336 posts, read 23,169,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Whitman......makes me question the validity of the methods used to rate the schools.
I looked at the index, and could not figure out their method for ranking. There is one scholar who advocates using the percentage of students who are in AP classes regardless of whether the students are qualified to be there. The Post has given him credibilitiy, so I wondered if this index was related.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,626,654 times
If your kid is in AP classes they're all just fine unless its the third world section of MoCo like JFK or Wheaton HS. God help them if they're in a PG HS other than Bowie.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM

503 posts, read 740,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
in a PG HS other than Bowie.
Really?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 PM

281 posts, read 751,463 times
I was just going to post. Bowie High School? Far as I know Roosevelt ranks higher in PG than Bowie H.S. Or it did when I was looking.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I looked at the index, and could not figure out their method for ranking. There is one scholar who advocates using the percentage of students who are in AP classes regardless of whether the students are qualified to be there. The Post has given him credibilitiy, so I wondered if this index was related.
I think that is what they are doing. E/E is the percentage of the test thing.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM

12,336 posts, read 23,169,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
I think that is what they are doing. E/E is the percentage of the test thing.
Agreed. I finally read the Jay Matthews article here: Small, intense schools rule new High School Challenge rankings - The Washington Post

I honestly don't agree that is the best way to measure how good a school is. Any parent also has to use their knowledge of what their child needs in preference to this kind of measure. I might use his metrics along with several other atrributes to pick a school.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I finally read the Jay Matthews article here: Small, intense schools rule new High School Challenge rankings - The Washington Post

I honestly don't agree that is the best way to measure how good a school is. Any parent also has to use their knowledge of what their child needs in preference to this kind of measure. I might use his metrics along with several other atrributes to pick a school.
When I was looking I didn't use these rankings too heavily. I looked at the demographic info on how populations did, overall percent of kids taking AP classes, percent of kids going to college, etc to look at schools. Coming from CA I already knew that things skew test results (like non native english speakers testing and such).

I supplement my daughter's h.s. anyway. We are currently going through a great series of science books (The Story of Science by Joy Hakim), started our read through some great living history texts (Augustus Cesear's World by Foster being a fave of mine), and we are working on latin/greek roots as well as some SAT prep vocabulary. I just picked up a couple of neat The Great Courses too (Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, Art of Reading, and Analysis and Critique: How to Engage and Write about anything). I've never had the opinion that my role was to stand by and watch. I homeschooled my daughter until 3rd grade as well - that was the year she got perfect scores on all the achievement tests.

We're happy with Roosevelt in general...but there are some areas of non challenge for her we are supplementing. I hate (abhor completely) any form of "text" book done by a major publisher and find them all terribly written, boring, and with their own agenda's anyway so I've always worked with my daughter with other sources. She's a very smart kid with an amazing vocabulary.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,603,547 times
Quote:

Yeah, I would agree with this. There is more to look into when looking up how good a school is than just this rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland