Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,893,741 times

Advertisements

Meh, I'm sick of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,006,641 times
Maryland's cameras are more driver friendly than DC's. I know that 695 has at least two speed limit indicators before you drive pass the camera on those "undercover" white SUV's. Signs are all over the city before you drive pass the cameras.

Drive in DC. The ticket prices are higher and cameras really seem to be hidden, and speed limit signs are hard to find -especially in construction areas.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,135,149 times
The notion that "excessive" speed leads to accidents is bullsh*t at worst and ignorance at best.

Most highways (especially expressways, freeways, and interstates) are designed to safely handle much faster traffic flows than the posted speed limits. Granted, speed is one of many factors in any accident but speed is rarely the primary cause of accidents. Weather conditions, bad tires, bad brakes, alcohol and/or drug usage, sleepiness, inattention and many other factors play a much bigger role in accidents than just plain speed. If speed is really so dangerous, then someone please explain why the Autobahn with much higher speed limits (and no speed limits along much of it) has far fewer accidents and fatalities per mile (kilometer) than US interstates.

Stop believing the government and insurance industry propaganda regarding the dangers of "speed".

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,893,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The notion that "excessive" speed leads to accidents is bullsh*t at worst and ignorance at best.

Most highways (especially expressways, freeways, and interstates) are designed to safely handle much faster traffic flows than the posted speed limits. Granted, speed is one of many factors in any accident but speed is rarely the primary cause of accidents. Weather conditions, bad tires, bad brakes, alcohol and/or drug usage, sleepiness, inattention and many other factors play a much bigger role in accidents than just plain speed. If speed is really so dangerous, then someone please explain why the Autobahn with much higher speed limits (and no speed limits along much of it) has far fewer accidents and fatalities per mile (kilometer) than US interstates.

Stop believing the government and insurance industry propaganda regarding the dangers of "speed".
This isn't about highways. It's about having speed cameras on main roads and streets in residential areas and school zones and what not.

However, I agree with what you said regarding highways.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,650,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Germans are more discipline and better trained drivers. They spend more time, effort and money to obtain a driver's license. Most drivers here struggle to use turn signals.

On stretches that do have speed limits on the autobahn, they are strictly enforced. They use speed cameras to enforce the speed limits. The only speed cameras along Maryland highways are in work zones. People shouldn't be flying through work zones where the lanes are much more narrow at 75 mph especially when workers are presence. I see nothing wrong with enforcing speed limits on a main road or street by way of cameras.

Only 2/3 of the Autobahn system has no limits and has a recommended speed of 80 mph.

Most autobahn highways aren't routed through cities and metropolitan and densely areas like the interstates are thus allowing a much higher speed limit.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM

304 posts, read 716,344 times
I'm sick of the speed cameras, but as others say, at least in Maryland it's almost impossible to say you weren't warned. Add to that, you have to be going more than 10mph over the posted speed limit, to be in violation. That is not a secret. I distinctly remember them telling me that in driving school, which was over a decade ago. There's this road right up the street from my home with speed camera's, and on at least three speed limit signs BEFORE you even get to the first camera, they are all labeled with clear signs that say "Photo Enforced." So if you're still getting tickets, it's pretty much gross negligence on your part.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,135,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Germans are more discipline and better trained drivers. They spend more time, effort and money to obtain a driver's license. Most drivers here struggle to use turn signals.

On stretches that do have speed limits on the autobahn, they are strictly enforced. They use speed cameras to enforce the speed limits. The only speed cameras along Maryland highways are in work zones. People shouldn't be flying through work zones where the lanes are much more narrow at 75 mph especially when workers are presence. I see nothing wrong with enforcing speed limits on a main road or street by way of cameras.

Only 2/3 of the Autobahn system has no limits and has a recommended speed of 80 mph.

Most autobahn highways aren't routed through cities and metropolitan and densely areas like the interstates are thus allowing a much higher speed limit.
You're absolutely correct regarding the level of driver education that Germans receive that's why I feel that there should be a national standard for all driver education that requires more classroom instruction and at least 200 hours of real world, instructor supervised driving including skidpad training, highway driving and nighttime driving (including nighttime highway driving).

I also agree with enforcing work zone speed restrictions within reason, like only enforcing speed restrictions when actual work is being done.

Also, most sections of our interstates and limited access highways (such as the Pennsylvania Turnpike) are in rural and more isolated areas that are more conducive and safer for speeds of 80 mph or greater.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 92,923 times
I'm not really a fan of the speed cameras, but at the same time they haven't affected me since I've never gotten a speed camera ticket. As others have mentioned, roads with them are clearly marked with yellow signs indicating their presence, and it's also well known that the cameras don't trip unless you're going at least 10-12+ mph over the limit.

My real problem with these cameras are the people who instead of simply driving the speed limit, slam on their brakes and proceed to go 5-10mph UNDER the limit. This royally pisses me off.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM

169 posts, read 301,063 times
I got a school zone speeding ticket on Piscataway road in front of the Catholic church near Floral Park road. I learned to drive the speed limit when I see the school zone signs and all is cool. The traffic light cameras are a bit much as I stop at the intersection while 2-4 cars will barrel through as if the light never existed. I hope they are nailing those drivers.
One traffic violation that truly needs to be addressed in the metro area, especially here in Md, is failure to use turn signals. How many have almost been in an accident because other drivers feel a need to get in front of you and slam on their brakes to make a turn?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,339 times
Yeah, Maryland is pretty bad about that. I read that Maryland has like 3% percentage of the US population, and about 30% of the speed cameras in the United States. You have certain roads like Randolph in MOCO in which they put the cameras on the lower part of an slope. So you have to break hard as you are going down the street to avoid getting a ticket, that leads to people getting rear end-ended all the time. It is a private business of which the government gets a percentage of each ticket, so the goal is to make as much money as possible. Also, often they are calibrated incorrectly, search about the guy in Oxon Hill in Maryland who investigated the cameras for months, and spend a whole bunch of his money to prove that often they click you on much lower speeds. Also, they are almost impossible to beat at court without having a camera in your car all the time videotaping your speed. I lived in Va for a while, and at least there were not as bad as MD or DC, but I heard they are changing their ways pretty soon too becasue they noticed that it is a cash machine. That is also how DC paid the Policy Chief $200+ k salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland