Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

How can the punishment from a speed camera fine be different than if a police officer wrote the ticket for the same offense? I thought that was unconstitutional?

Is there a reason why people don't put those blurry license plate covers on the vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The notion that "excessive" speed leads to accidents is bullsh*t at worst and ignorance at best.

Most highways (especially expressways, freeways, and interstates) are designed to safely handle much faster traffic flows than the posted speed limits. Granted, speed is one of many factors in any accident but speed is rarely the primary cause of accidents. Weather conditions, bad tires, bad brakes, alcohol and/or drug usage, sleepiness, inattention and many other factors play a much bigger role in accidents than just plain speed. If speed is really so dangerous, then someone please explain why the Autobahn with much higher speed limits (and no speed limits along much of it) has far fewer accidents and fatalities per mile (kilometer) than US interstates.

Stop believing the government and insurance industry propaganda regarding the dangers of "speed".
Excessive speed leads to accidents? maybe maybe not kinda depends on the circumstance but one thing for sure you'll be more likely to die or have more injuries if you are going say 100mph as opposed to 50mph if you do happen to have an accident..
As for highways being designed for higher speeds i'll agree but most drivers arent disciplined enough to be trusted at those higher speeds,looks good on paper but doesnt take into consideration granny Goodwitch pulling out in front of you at 40mph and you are doing 90mph,or the texter that drifts into your lane etc.
Yeah Germany has some autobahns with unlimited speed limits but i'm betting their drivers tests are a lot more extensive and demanding than ours, and just a guess but at those speeds people are probably more courteous and have an understanding of whats going on around them .
So yeah faster speeds are doable here in the USA and if the road is open and clear of traffic you should be allowed to go faster than posted speed limit if you are in a rush, but in traffic are you willing to put your life in the hands of the other drivers on the road?I'm not,i see too many other drivers doing the most idiotic of moves, so i drive defensively and try to go with the flow.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Excessive speed leads to accidents? maybe maybe not kinda depends on the circumstance but one thing for sure you'll be more likely to die or have more injuries if you are going say 100mph as opposed to 50mph if you do happen to have an accident..
As for highways being designed for higher speeds i'll agree but most drivers arent disciplined enough to be trusted at those higher speeds,looks good on paper but doesnt take into consideration granny Goodwitch pulling out in front of you at 40mph and you are doing 90mph,or the texter that drifts into your lane etc.
Yeah Germany has some autobahns with unlimited speed limits but i'm betting their drivers tests are a lot more extensive and demanding than ours, and just a guess but at those speeds people are probably more courteous and have an understanding of whats going on around them .
So yeah faster speeds are doable here in the USA and if the road is open and clear of traffic you should be allowed to go faster than posted speed limit if you are in a rush, but in traffic are you willing to put your life in the hands of the other drivers on the road?I'm not,i see too many other drivers doing the most idiotic of moves, so i drive defensively and try to go with the flow.

In DE on the Autobahn slow drivers even when rear ended can be at fault. Grandma in the fast lane can certainly be at fault (or partially). Not like here in the US where the rulings are blanket and responsibility is nil.

Speed cameras are not a fix. Traffic laws need to be changed not just cameras will fix the issues. Speeders are not the main issue, slow drivers need to be ticketed as well.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
In DE on the Autobahn slow drivers even when rear ended can be at fault. Grandma in the fast lane can certainly be at fault (or partially). Not like here in the US where the rulings are blanket and responsibility is nil.

Speed cameras are not a fix. Traffic laws need to be changed not just cameras will fix the issues. Speeders are not the main issue, slow drivers need to be ticketed as well.

The big issue is cops need to get off their lazy rearends, put away the radar/laser guns, and ticket true unsafe driving behavior. Where I live, the cops only look at you if you are driving over the posted speed limit. All other traffic offenses are ignored.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 PM

169 posts, read 299,937 times
I think people who receive a ticket for unsafe driving - do the police even see this stuff anymore? - should be retested at age 30 and if they fail they lose the license for a week and try again.
Peeves of mine are those that don't use turn signals.
Red light/speeding cameras are typical of lazy cops and ultimately revenue generating methods.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM

142 posts, read 249,713 times
I am definitely tired of all the speed cameras. Something just irks me about this easy way to take money from people and then it's passed off as safety. The sight of these cameras in my mind is associated with this robbery. Maybe if it was billed more as we just want your money instead of as in the name of safety it wouldn't seem as bad to me.

I've never received a ticket from any such camera since their inception. I pretty much know all the locations around where I travel but even where I don't I pretty much notice any camera instantly. Regardless I don't speed, (all the don't speed people can save it) and yet the idea of these cameras just everywhere still bothers me.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The big issue is cops need to get off their lazy rearends, put away the radar/laser guns, and ticket true unsafe driving behavior. Where I live, the cops only look at you if you are driving over the posted speed limit. All other traffic offenses are ignored.

I agree. I see so many violations near my house from IMPATIENT drivers it's sickening. This is especially evident during the power outage. Since when did people have this false entitlement to drive as they please? People making right-hand turns from the left lane or the left turn lane? That irks me. As if they are the only person who needs to get somewhere.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM

169 posts, read 299,937 times
Why are there so many of the portable speed cameras trailers parked near schools in PGC at this time? School is out, correct? Are the speeds posted still enforced even though there is no reason to do so? Are the cameras functioning at this time? If so, why?

I can answer that.....Revenue, this inherently corrupt county tries to squeeze every nickle they can out of anyone passing through it's boundaries.
It's verging on the point of being unconstitutional. It's like one of those movies that depict the cops stopping all out of towners for committing some imaginary traffic violation and stealing every dime they have before they let them go.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM

318 posts, read 762,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How can the punishment from a speed camera fine be different than if a police officer wrote the ticket for the same offense? I thought that was unconstitutional?

Is there a reason why people don't put those blurry license plate covers on the vehicles?
Speed camera citations are civil infractions which carries a lesser fine and no points, compared to a citation issued by a police officer which is a traffic violation. A little different.

Those license plate covers are, you guessed it, another traffic violation that you can get pulled over and cited for. If it's found that one is using a license plate cover to avoid detection (exe: speed camera), then that is a completely different and more hefty fine that carries points, compared to just having a clear cover or tag bracket on your license plate.

Last edited by tgs_bg; 07-11-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM

318 posts, read 762,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedisguise View Post
I think people who receive a ticket for unsafe driving - do the police even see this stuff anymore? - should be retested at age 30 and if they fail they lose the license for a week and try again.
Peeves of mine are those that don't use turn signals.
Red light/speeding cameras are typical of lazy cops and ultimately revenue generating methods.

Define unsafe? There is no citation for "unsafe driving". Not using your turn signals wouldn't fall under "unsafe" if I'm assuming you are referring to changing lanes on a highway because one is not required to use their turn signals for that. Turn signals are only required to be used when changing directions in a non-designated turn lane.

You can thank your city/county/state government for the red light speeding cameras. Their use was not determined by the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland