Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,105,884 times

Advertisements

"Those license plate covers are, you guessed it, another traffic violation that you can get pulled over and cited for. If it's found that one is using a license plate cover to avoid detection (exe: speed camera), then that is a completely different and more hefty fine that carries points, compared to just having a clear cover or tag bracket on your license plate."

Are you sure? last thing I heard was that violations for them were overturned by the MD court of appeals. I wish they would outlaw any cover over the plates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,631,017 times
[quote=tgs_bg;25127023]Speed camera citations are civil infractions which carries a lesser fine and no points, compared to a citation issued by a police officer which is a traffic violation. A little different.

quote]

No, it is the same violation.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 AM

318 posts, read 763,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Are you sure? last thing I heard was that violations for them were overturned by the MD court of appeals. I wish they would outlaw any cover over the plates
Yep. There can be no foreign objects on your license plate, the wording of the law is quite clear. This includes plate covers and brackets. While you're chances of getting stopped for this are slim as it is not heavily enforced unless it is significantly obscured, it is still a violation and you can be cited for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

No..... it's not. Like I said speed cameras are a civil infraction, not a traffic violation. Speed cameras carry one pre-set fine, no matter how fast you are going above the limit unlike a speeding violation issued by a police officer that carries points and a fine determined by your speed.

You don't pay a speed camera ticket, you get a late fee and your registration is flagged so you cannot renew it until you pay it.

You don't pay a traffic citation issued by an police officer then your license is suspended.

Like I said, two completely different things.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
Yep. There can be no foreign objects on your license plate, the wording of the law is quite clear. This includes plate covers and brackets. While you're chances of getting stopped for this are slim as it is not heavily enforced unless it is significantly obscured, it is still a violation and you can be cited for it.

No..... it's not. Like I said speed cameras are a civil infraction, not a traffic violation. Speed cameras carry one pre-set fine, no matter how fast you are going above the limit unlike a speeding violation issued by a police officer that carries points and a fine determined by your speed.

You don't pay a speed camera ticket, you get a late fee and your registration is flagged so you cannot renew it until you pay it.

You don't pay a traffic citation issued by an police officer then your license is suspended.

Like I said, two completely different things.

Explain how driving 25mph over the speed limit in front of a speed camera is different from driving 25mph over the speed limit in front of a police officer?

If I commit murder in front of a camera, do I just pay a small fine as punishment?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,105,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
That may be what the law says but unless it was changed in the last 5-7 years it was challanged and the court of appeals ruled that license plate covers that did not obscure visual observation but did block photo observation do not count as blocking the plate. I have a friend who was writing a lot of tickets for them and had them all thrown out.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
That may be what the law says but unless it was changed in the last 5-7 years it was challanged and the court of appeals ruled that license plate covers that did not obscure visual observation but did block photo observation do not count as blocking the plate. I have a friend who was writing a lot of tickets for them and had them all thrown out.

If cops are too busy (doing more "important" things) to write speeding tickets (hence the need for speed cameras), then why is a non-moving violation for a license plate cover even being noticed?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM

27,609 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Word of advice for those who don't like speed cameras:

DON'T SPEED AND YOU WON'T GET A TICKET.

Simple enough, right?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Word of advice for those who don't like speed cameras:

DON'T SPEED AND YOU WON'T GET A TICKET.

Simple enough, right?

Or the state can simply raise the speed limits. Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be set based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers.

Why is the max speed limit in Maryland only 65? The speed limit there used to be 70 before the 55mph nonsense started in 1974. Sounds like another case of revenue generation.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:

Okay. It's the same violation, but the punishment is different. Is that what you're trying to say?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 PM

318 posts, read 763,261 times
Quote:
Explain how driving 25mph over the speed limit in front of a speed camera is different from driving 25mph over the speed limit in front of a police officer?
Quote:
If I commit murder in front of a camera, do I just pay a small fine as punishment?
Ok let's not be silly, murder is a criminal offense, not a traffic violation or a civil infraction. I explained that one is a civil infraction and one is a traffic violation. A speed camera can only issue a civil penalty and not traffic violation because there isn't a police officer witnessing the violation and cannot document who was driving the vehicle. There are plenty of civil infractions and traffic violations that go hand and hand depending on your jurisdiction, such as littering and jaywalking.

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "blocking the plate", but if you have the free time feel free to read the definition of Transportation Article 13-411(c) (the violation) and 13-411.1 (the definition of a tag cover). There has been no overruling of that violation and 13-411(c) is still held up in court. Your friend must not have completely comprehended 13-411.1 before issuing citations for 13-411(c).

Quote:
If cops are too busy (doing more "important" things) to write speeding tickets (hence the need for speed cameras), then why is a non-moving violation for a license plate cover even being noticed?

….. It’s obvious that you do not understand the concept of traffic enforcement from a police officer’s perspective. Instead of writing a novel explaining it, to which you may or may not grasp, all I will say is that there are hundreds of traffic violations you can be cited for that you probably never knew existed, and that police use an abundant amount of discretion when conducting traffic enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland