Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

I have been sitting here calling the police the entire day and they have chosen to ignore me and my wife's complaints. What are we complaining about? We live in a condominium complex and our neighbor that lives below us has been blasting music the entire day and even last night. So far between my wife and I, we have called PG County police 5 TIMES and haven't even gotten one officer to come out. The neighbor's music has been going on for about 6 hours nonstop, to the point that neither I or my 3 year old daughter could take our naps. Oh did I mention that I can feel the music vibration on the floor and even some of our dishes have began to hit together because of the bass through the floor?

I called one final time to the District 4 police department to talk to the commander and of course he wasn't there, but the lady I talked to naturally starts making excuses, stating well even if we send someone out that doesn't mean he won't play the music after we leave. Then I said, look I'm a taxpayer, I've made simple request, come out and say something to him, you all told me you would. Why can't you just deal with a simple request? It's situations like these that leads to bigger problems in this county. The only reason why I haven't gone down myself is because it's against our rules and the neighbor has been belligerent anytime someone confronts him and he refuses to stop playing his music. What do we pay our taxes for if we can't get the police to respond to us in 6 hours? Is there some triple murder going on now that I'm aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 PM

82 posts, read 186,696 times
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have a condo board you can call pronto? Do you know your neighbors enough to tell them your 3 yr old needed a nap?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I have been sitting here calling the police the entire day and they have chosen to ignore me and my wife's complaints. What are we complaining about? We live in a condominium complex and our neighbor that lives below us has been blasting music the entire day and even last night. So far between my wife and I, we have called PG County police 5 TIMES and haven't even gotten one officer to come out. The neighbor's music has been going on for about 6 hours nonstop, to the point that neither I or my 3 year old daughter could take our naps. Oh did I mention that I can feel the music vibration on the floor and even some of our dishes have began to hit together because of the bass through the floor?

I called one final time to the District 4 police department to talk to the commander and of course he wasn't there, but the lady I talked to naturally starts making excuses, stating well even if we send someone out that doesn't mean he won't play the music after we leave. Then I said, look I'm a taxpayer, I've made simple request, come out and say something to him, you all told me you would. Why can't you just deal with a simple request? It's situations like these that leads to bigger problems in this county. The only reason why I haven't gone down myself is because it's against our rules and the neighbor has been belligerent anytime someone confronts him and he refuses to stop playing his music. What do we pay our taxes for if we can't get the police to respond to us in 6 hours? Is there some triple murder going on now that I'm aware of?
I heard they are doing some big stop drunk driving push this weekend maybe they don't have folks available for nuisance calls? I live near a park and they're pretty good at getting out here when we complain about noise.

Your condo board should grow a pair in NYC you can be evicted for being a problem tenant condo owner or not.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 PM

The condo board said we need to write a letter and they have to give them a warning and then if he doesn't change then the landlord will have to pay a fine.

I'm more upset at PG because they stated that they would come and they never at any point came out. They kept making excuses. If they couldn't do it, I would have like them to say so rather than lying about saying they would come out.

He knows I have a daughter and I've explained that he disturbs her and my wife, but he doesn't care. What he may or may not know is my wife is pregnant and I'm about a month away from having a newborn in here too. Hopefully something can be done about this. My hope is at some point this summer to be moved out of here altogether but just a frustrating situation.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
One thing I have noticed is that there is not a sense of community among cops today. How many cops do you see walking neighborhoods? I mean actually getting out of their cars and walking the block talking to neighbors seeing if they are okay? Lots of times when cops are called you get some officer who doesn't even know you or your neighbohood and they have an attitude about them that makes you feel like you are disrupting something important they were doing. I swear they need training in how to talk to the citizens they serve. I have NEVER seen an officer smile or greet you with any pleasant greeting when spoken to. I get the feeling that some people become cops just for the power and influence they have. But with those things come great responsibility to use them at the proper times.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 AM

142 posts, read 249,627 times
They were probably too busy sneaking a $50 ticket onto my car for me parking it on my own grass.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM

318 posts, read 762,179 times
Quote:

PGPD stays pretty busy, as they are always running from call to call and low priority calls such as a noise complaint will get put on the back burner whenever something of a higher priority comes out on the air. I doubt they are straight up ignoring your call, but 5 calls and 6 hours of non-response is pretty bad, and the dispatcher's remark is completely uncalled for. Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
One thing I have noticed is that there is not a sense of community among cops today. How many cops do you see walking neighborhoods? I mean actually getting out of their cars and walking the block talking to neighbors seeing if they are okay? Lots of times when cops are called you get some officer who doesn't even know you or your neighbohood and they have an attitude about them that makes you feel like you are disrupting something important they were doing. I swear they need training in how to talk to the citizens they serve. I have NEVER seen an officer smile or greet you with any pleasant greeting when spoken to. I get the feeling that some people become cops just for the power and influence they have. But with those things come great responsibility to use them at the proper times.
I can give you a couple of reasons for why this might be.....

We are leaving the community oriented policing atmosphere that has been going on for the past 20 years or so and jumping into a more computer information phase. Technology for the most part has improved law enforcement for the better, but I agree it definitely has put a damper on foot patrol.

As I mentioned about PG county, they are constantly running from call to call and their areas of responsibility inside the district are so large that it is almost impossible to do foot patrol on a regular basis and actually have an effect. Now, the municipal departments don't have that excuse. As I have stated in a previous post, I police in PG County, but I am not a PGPD officer -- I prefer my anonymity so I won't say where, but my department does conduct foot patrol and has numerous advantages and serves numerous purposes. You probably won't catch me walking around in my dark uniform with my extra 25 pounds of equipment on in this 90 degree heat, though.

Another reason I will give you for the lack of foot patrol is the distrust between citizens and the police today. Working in high-crime areas tend to have a lot of people in it that do not trust, like, or talk to police. We as police have to deal with the same people from time to time and experience the distrust first hand and it can take a toll on us. There are plenty of officers out there that have the mindset of "since they don't care about us or their own community, then why should we care" attitude which is the wrong attitude to have, but so easy to fall into because there are plenty of times where we try to rectify a problem just to see the community not play it's roll to keep that problem from reoccurring. But no matter how many people don't like me for what I do or don't trust me, there are always those in the neighborhood that do appreciate my efforts, so I remind myself at times that I am doing this for them. This is nationwide in high-crime areas, not just in PG county and the effectiveness of the MD criminal justice system is to blame for this as well.

It's ironic because before I wrote this I told myself I wasn't going to comment in this thread because it's just an opportunity for cop bashing and my words will fall to deaf ears, but I decided to respond anyways for those out there that actually want to know some of the answers to these questions. Does this sound familiar to something else in my post??

Hope this helps and I also hope this thread doesn't turn into the cop bashing thread that the MD aggressive driving thread turned into.

Last edited by tgs_bg; 05-28-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
I can give you a couple of reasons for why this might be.....

We are leaving the community oriented policing atmosphere that has been going on for the past 20 years or so and jumping into a more computer information phase. Technology for the most part has improved law enforcement for the better, but I agree it definitely has put a damper on foot patrol.

As I mentioned about PG county, they are constantly running from call to call and their areas of responsibility inside the district are so large that it is almost impossible to do foot patrol on a regular basis and actually have an effect. Now, the municipal departments don't have that excuse. As I have stated in a previous post, I police in PG County, but I am not a PGPD officer -- I prefer my anonymity so I won't say where, but my department does conduct foot patrol and has numerous advantages and serves numerous purposes. You probably won't catch me walking around in my dark uniform with my extra 25 pounds of equipment on in this 90 degree heat, though.

Another reason I will give you for the lack of foot patrol is the distrust between citizens and the police today. Working in high-crime areas tend to have a lot of people in it that do not trust, like, or talk to police. We as police have to deal with the same people from time to time and experience the distrust first hand and it can take a toll on us. There are plenty of officers out there that have the mindset of "since they don't care about us or their own community, then why should we care" attitude which is the wrong attitude to have, but so easy to fall into because there are plenty of times where we try to rectify a problem just to see the community not play it's roll to keep that problem from reoccurring. But no matter how many people don't like me for what I do or don't trust me, there are always those in the neighborhood that do appreciate my efforts, so I remind myself at times that I am doing this for them. This is nationwide in high-crime areas, not just in PG county and the effectiveness of the MD criminal justice system is to blame for this as well.

It's ironic because before I wrote this I told myself I wasn't going to comment in this thread because it's just an opportunity for cop bashing and my words will fall to deaf ears, but I decided to respond anyways for those out there that actually want to know some of the answers to these questions. Does this sound familiar to something else in my post??

Hope this helps and I also hope this thread doesn't turn into the cop bashing thread that the MD aggressive driving thread turned into.
I don't want to come off as disrespectful because I know there are some good police officers in this county. I'm disappointed with PGPD as a whole because I feel as though that the things you described really is a problem here. What has happened far too often, especially in this district is small things like this get swept under the rug and you began to have a distrust for this department.

The Commander for this district was at one of the community meeting a few months ago and in so many words he described the issue with crime, particularly in places like Tantallon, is due to residence not informing them. Well if you don't respond to residents when they have request like this, what reason are you giving them to trust you? I probably would look at this situation a lot different if someone simply stated we are backed up, have a lot going on and we don't have a guarantee that someone will come out. But everytime I called there was a new excuse, one was they lost my call in the system and then they said they couldn't send a dispatcher because they didn't have my information. It's ridiculous. Just be honest, if you can't do it, then that's all that should matter. That's what irritates me the most about this.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Wondering if the police aren't coming because the loud noise/music you are complaining about is during daylight hours. If the music was blasting at night, my hope is that the police would respond.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM

318 posts, read 762,179 times
Quote:
I don't want to come off as disrespectful because I know there are some good police officers in this county. I'm disappointed with PGPD as a whole because I feel as though that the things you described really is a problem here. What has happened far too often, especially in this district is small things like this get swept under the rug and you began to have a distrust for this department.

The Commander for this district was at one of the community meeting a few months ago and in so many words he described the issue with crime, particularly in places like Tantallon, is due to residence not informing them. Well if you don't respond to residents when they have request like this, what reason are you giving them to trust you? I probably would look at this situation a lot different if someone simply stated we are backed up, have a lot going on and we don't have a guarantee that someone will come out. But everytime I called there was a new excuse, one was they lost my call in the system and then they said they couldn't send a dispatcher because they didn't have my information. It's ridiculous. Just be honest, if you can't do it, then that's all that should matter. That's what irritates me the most about this.
Oh I agree with you and I didn't think you were labeling all police or being disrespectful. As I said I'm sorry that happened to you and it definitely should not have. If they were super busy and understaffed then I might see it not being the department's fault but the dispatcher's remark to you clearly points the fault in their direction. Who knows whether the police are at fault for not going or the dispatcher's negligence for not putting the call out.

There are people that have lost trust in the police and there are police that have lost trust in the people. Like I said this is a nationwide problem in high-crime areas and I don't really know of a feasable solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland