Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM

55 posts, read 299,257 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Washington next spring for a job in Montgomery County, MD (Silver Spring specifically). I have visited the area several times and I know that I want to live near the Metro in either DC or in the Maryland Suburbs so I can use it for my commute to and from work. What are some good areas (does not have to be in Silver Spring), which are relatively affordable, are nearor adjacent to a Metro station and other daily necessities (grocery, other shopping, etc)? I would like to be able to sell my car if at all possible and would thus rely on Metro, bike/walk. Keeping this in mind, what are the best locations? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
A bunch of housing is in Silver Spring along East West highway (East and West of 16th Street) and between Colesville, Spring Street and GA ave.

There are a bunch of restaurants on GA Ave and a Giant is right there on 1280 East West Highway.

A Metro is right there at Colesville and East West Highway.

Be careful with your bike, it could get stolen.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 AM

198 posts, read 926,226 times
You could live in Silver Spring without a car as long as you are working in the downtown area. There is a major bus hub at the Silver Spring metro and the bus service between Bethesda and Silver Spring is quite frequent.

There are quite a few restaurants in downtown Silver Spring, as well as Wheaton-- which is just two metro stops away. As for grocery stores, in addition to the Giant, there is a Whole Foods grocery store in downtown Silver Spring.

If you truly want to be carless, I'd consider living in Dupont Cr. in DC. That would be an easy reverse commute by metro to downtown Silver Spring for work.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
I lived carless for awhile. The biggest problem was groceries. You really need to be within a simple walking distance (walking distance with a few bags) of a grocery store, so as you look at places try to consider that as a potential issue.

Or see if there are any Flexcar parking spots near your place for those days when you do want a car.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Are you old/young - single/married - a homebody or go out all the time type person??

If you are single and young and childless the reverse commute would be your best bet - ALL of Montgomery County is expensive and the closer to the Metro - the higher the rent.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
I know someone who lives in Dupont Circle happily without a car. Uses flex-car when he wants to venture out of DC.

What do you think is affordable? What kind of housing are you looking for? In general, most of the DC area and suburbs are pretty expensive unless you live in some of the more depressed areas of DC. Silver Spring near the metro is not cheap but less expensive than Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. There are a lot of older houses a few blocks from metro, there are grocery stores and a Whole Foods, lots of chain restaurants now. Crime is an issue but better than it used to be. There are several apartment buildings and condos right around the metro. Up stream there's Forest Glen and Wheaton. Down stream is Tacoma Park - interesting place but they thought they could trap their rats and release up in Frederick to be humane.

Affordable for most people means a long commute in this area.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:36 PM

55 posts, read 299,257 times
Thanks everyone. I am looking into a reverse commute and I've looked into Flexcar, so I know thats a possibility when I need to travel somewhere distant from the Metro. To me, affordable would be $1000 per month or less in rent. Because of the cost of living in DC compared to where I live now, I am considering selling my car and using Metro to make up for the difference. I am not married, and do not have children. I am in my late twenties, so I would be comfortable in a comparibly rowdy area as long as its not a really dangerous neighborhood. Is there a local website with apartment/roommate listings other than craigslist? Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
washingtoncitypaper.com

You can probably get a good group house in the city for < $1,000.

My advice would be to spend a few months in a group house and then look around for a place to live once you have a better idea of the commute involved, what areas you will be hanging out in, traffic to and from the office, etc. Get a group house kind of close in to your office for a few months and then look at striking off on your own once you know the city a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland