Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 33,037 times

Advertisements

What are the nice towns about 40 minutes non - rush out of DC. I am coming from coastal CT and work mostly out of the home so commute is not issue except to visit DC or ballgame. Like a town with top schools like Severna Park (only town I know), but also looking north of DC toward Frederick. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:41 PM

40 posts, read 266,520 times
The factors most likely to dominate your search (especially if you want to buy a place) is how much you are willing to spend, how small of a condo/townhouse/single-family dwelling can you tolerate, and how far you are willing to live from DC.

Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, parts of Gaithersburg, Clarksburg, Urbana, Columbia, and Frederick all have public schools with strong reputations I believe. I don't know much about Virginia. I believe it takes 50-45 min. on the metro to get from Shady Grove (Rockville/Gaithersburg border) to DC.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 AM

7 posts, read 33,037 times
I am coming from CT so I can easily put down a half million in a down payment. Please I am not being a braggart but it is as nuts up here as out of DC. I would like out of DC more. I guess around Frederick. I work out of the home. I am a per diem CPA. I just hate our winter and taxes and don't say MD are high come up to Connectictax the #1 state that beats Tax a York and Taxachusetts by far.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:47 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,715,707 times
Severna Park High was ranked 396 by Newsweek.

What age are your children for schools? Montgomery county has 4 of the higher ranked public high schools in the country. If you have a boy, there's Georgetown Prep and if you have a girl there's Stoneridge.

You can search the link if, at least the rankings, are acceptable for Frederick. Northern VA around Fairfax county (Herndon, Reston, Oak Hill) and McLean have multimillion dollar homes to your liking and the schools are also ranked well (in the top 100 schools of the nation).

America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/?sort=State&count=1351&Search=&start=500&limit=100 &year=2007& - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNBC
27 Richard Montgomery ** Rockville MD
46 Bethesda-Chevy Chase ** Bethesda Md.
64 T.S.Wootton Rockville Md
73 Walt Whitman Bethesda Md

Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 27,888 times
If you are interested in remaining close to the water, AA county has some very nice bayfront communities about an hour out of DC. The AA schools are good, not as good as Montgomery Co, but good. It's where I send my kids. Severna Park has some waterfront/water-privileged communites, as well as Deale, Tracy's Landing, Galesville (very quaint little town), Shady Side, etc.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 50,969 times
I believe you should be able to easily find what you are looking for outside of DC. Severna Park is nice but schools are not as good as they are in Howard and Montgomery Counties. Are you interested in alot of land or something with less yard maintenance? What ammenities are important to you. I ask this because there are many options in the area, even within the counties I listed. I currently live in a community called Stone Lake and it is a manned gated community with a georgeous rock quarry lake in the center, tennis courts, sidewalk paths and a putting green but the lots are smaller and the grass and snow removal is part of the homeowners association. There are other areas that have many acres and would be west of Columbia, like Glenelg and West Friendship. The advantage of where I am is that it is green but easy to access DC and Baltimore for entertainment. Good Luck with the move!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,079,306 times
Calvert schools consistently rank very high in the state rankings, with a couple of the high schools in the Newsweek top 300. Still a bit cheaper than some of the other areas you mentioned.

Search for Dunkirk, Huntingtown, Owings, North Beach, Chesapeake Beach, etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 56,216 times
Is winston church high school the best in Montgomey county? Given a choice, which one would u go for between winston churchill(potomac),T.S.Wootton (Rockville ) and Richard montgomery (rockvile)? My son is a sport fanatic, he ia goodat almost every sport he will try he is very talented, sees himself playing for redsox or balitmore areoles someday. just need to make the choice where o stay based on the zonining, taking into consideration his sport capabilities.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 100,801 times
Default Washington County?

Does anyone who's answered this post have any information about schools in Washington County? (See my post below: "Best Schools around Hagerstown") Anyone have any info on schools in Greencastle, PA? Smithsburg? Middletown?

I haven't had any feedback to my post yet.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNewbie554 View Post
Does anyone who's answered this post have any information about schools in Washington County? (See my post below: "Best Schools around Hagerstown") Anyone have any info on schools in Greencastle, PA? Smithsburg? Middletown?

I haven't had any feedback to my post yet.

Thanks!
http://www.greatschools.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland