Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
From what I can tell, La Plata or Prince Fredrick appear to be the half way point between Pax and Washington DC.

What is life like in these areas?

Both very nice. I work in La Plata and it is continuing to grow. Pretty safe for the most part, and nice little "town" feeling.

I've never lived in Prince Frederick, but from what others say, it's also a nice place - not sure about pricing there on apartments, town homes or single family homes to rent.

I think you really would be good to go either way - So maybe if you look in both of those, the best deal you can find, living will be rather similar give or take.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I work in La Plata and it is continuing to grow.
The locals pronounce it "La Playta", BTW.

It is close to the St. Charles Town Center mall, which has everything you could need. Check the aerial map-- it's gigantic with 4 anchor stores and a ring of restaurants outside, and some luxury apartments nearby.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in LaPlata as it is quieter, but one could drive to the mall easily.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The locals pronounce it "La Playta", BTW.

It is close to the St. Charles Town Center mall, which has everything you could need. Check the aerial map-- it's gigantic with 4 anchor stores and a ring of restaurants outside, and some luxury apartments nearby.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in LaPlata as it is quieter, but one could drive to the mall easily.
I completely agree with your preference

Also.. good call.. I guess I should clarify.. I've heard weathermen on tv often say "La-pla-Ta".

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
One factor to consider is that a Hispanic professional is a minority in either La Plata or Waldorf. The ethnic stats for Waldorf are 54% black, 33% white, and 6% Hispanic. For La Plata its 64% white, 26% black, and 3% Hispanic.

Both areas have younger than average populations, and they are better off than the Maryland average. The black population is probably among the most affluent in the country.

On the whole I think either would be OK for you.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 6,566 times
Hello JorgeZepeda and everyone!
I too have just accepted a Job to move to Patuxent River, to work at the Naval Air base. I am a female professional and will be working with one of the DoD contractors. I will be moving from Dallas TX and I am looking for recommendations for a place to live. I will like a place with restaurants and things to at least look at, I am not a clubbing/partying person so I do not care for noise, but I also want to not be too far from all the action ( I can go, depending on the side of the bed I wake up in ) What I want to do, changes from time to time, sometimes, I just want to sit home and watch HGTV all day and dream of renovating homes, sometimes, I am open to going to a nice restaurant/bar/activity center to mix with other professionals like myself.
I will like recommendations on where to live please, I will be coming alone, so I need to be able to see lively things, even if I do not take part. I like the idea of commuting to DC area, because, I will like to expand my network but I do not want to kill myself driving all over the place, I guess, a happy medium will be just fine. I want a safe and decent neighborhood, that is NOT predominantly anything, a good mix of professionals, (I don't care what family status they fall under) will be great. Does anyone recommend Charlotte Hall, Maryland? Just asking. Please, recommend away! Thank you

Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Anywhere in Calvert County.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:24 PM

8 posts, read 6,566 times
thanks. any city/neighborhood in mind?

Old 11-03-2018, 07:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Just a suggestion but right over the bridge into Calvert county is Solomons Island ,some very nice restaurants and while it is quiet during the winter the ride to work should make up for it.

Solomons Business Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland