Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,655,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Being 'hard' doesn't make you a man, especially if you can be a man (due to liberal use of the word 'hard') by any of the thuggery you see in gangster rap.

A real man doesn't even have to be SWAT, military or anything of the like. A real man is a man that works for the good for his family, his God and country.

By the way, I'm a soldier and I don't consider myself 'hard'. But a real man? You bet I am.
Well yea, one can still be a man if he's soft, but given everything the same, one's not as much of a man as a hard ass man lol For me hard doesn't have to mean thug, it could mean that you're mentally strong, got a tough character, thick skin and not a pushover.
His god though? Come on now. What if I don't believe in God, does it make me less of a man? Leave it out next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 PM

671 posts, read 1,552,768 times
Based on your statement, it appears attaching meaning to the word 'hard' in the lexicon of urban-usage is trivial at best. Being a thug doesn't mean you are strong, it means you are a weak punk that can't rise on your own merits. Instead you feel the desire to engage or promote activity you know is against the advancement and betterment of society, just because you either want to be a 'part' of a group no matter how pathetic they are or you are too weak to stand alone.

Yeah, go ahead and be 'hard'. I'm busy being the tough character that you were talking about.

Oh and my statement about God? It is a phrase of speech. It is not meant to taken literally; whether you believe in God or not is irrelevant.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,655,093 times
Quote:
Based on your statement, it appears attaching meaning to the word 'hard' in the lexicon of urban-usage is trivial at best. Being a thug doesn't mean you are strong, it means you are a weak punk that can't rise on your own merits. Instead you feel the desire to engage or promote activity you know is against the advancement and betterment of society, just because you either want to be a 'part' of a group no matter how pathetic they are or you are too weak to stand alone.

Yeah, go ahead and be 'hard'. I'm busy being the tough character that you were talking about.

Oh and my statement about God? It is a phrase of speech. It is not meant to taken literally; whether you believe in God or not is irrelevant.
lol Sooo sensitive
I was talking about hard rappers and hard people overall, why you keep bringing thugs into this? Hard ass rapper is not necessarily equal to a thug. I can rap hard, but I'm not a thug. I can be hard overall, but I'm not a thug. Also, thugs might be ignorant and evil, but they are not weak. You can be hard and be both a good person and a bad one, yadamean. Both cops and criminals are hard.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,726,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wale is from Gaithersburg. He went to Quince Orchard High School.
Not exactly. He grew up on Peabody St NW off of Georgia Ave until he was ten. I don't understand why people in the DC Area are so quick to try to prove Wale is not from DC. He lived in DC as a child when it was the murder capital of the United States and can't even get credit for it . That is like saying someone who lived in Ethiopia until they were ten is not from Ethiopia. By your logic, Jay-Z isn't from the Marcy projects or even Brooklyn but Hov is instead from Trenton, New Jersey . Afterall, Jay-Z did admit going to school and hanging in Trenton as a teen on the title track of the Blueprint:

Jay-Z

I think DC is just butt-hurt that they never had a Nas. Y'know, DC never had a project born and raised early twenty something who dropped out of school in the fifth grade and allegedly sold crack for a living only to become a critically acclaimed nationally respected rapper. Really? Are you going to fault Wale's parents for leaving DC when it was averaging near 500 murders a year?!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM

961 posts, read 2,034,041 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that finds it disturbing to see a music video 'representing PG' imagery frontloading within a minute imagery of a kid rolling dice (indicating street gambling), alcohol-drinking, smoking and a man saluting while holding a leashed pitbull (?) dog as seen in that 'PG County Cypher' video?

I wonder why American rap culture so heavily promotes thug and generally negative mentality. Clean rap can be popular; just ask Will Smith.
I wonder why American rock culture so heavily promotes drugs and angst/anger mentality. Clean rock can be popular; just ask U2.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I wonder why American rock culture so heavily promotes drugs and angst/anger mentality. Clean rock can be popular; just ask U2.
Ar you trying to make a zinger? You failed. I don't support anything that is counter to the positive growth of American society and its impressionable youth. Try again.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Ar you trying to make a zinger? You failed. I don't support anything that is counter to the positive growth of American society and its impressionable youth. Try again.
It's not a "zinger". American "rap culture" is what it is. Artists reflect their environment or what's in their head. Why do you think the things someone like Lil' Wayne is rapping about now is different than the things he was rapping about when he came out?

Also, I'd say coming out of the projects through hard work, and blowing up to become a billboard musician, and then giving back to the community....that's pretty inspirational, and all-american to me. You generalized the entire culture without qualification or room for exception. (Note: Just because I'm saying hip-hop is legitimate and has it's merits as an art form doesn't mean I'm saying everybody has to LIKE it--that's missing the point.)

"
************s
Say that I'm foolish
I only talk about jewels
Do you fools
Listen to music or
Do you just skim
Through it?
See I'm influenced
By the ghetto you ruined
That same dude
You gave nothin'
I made somethin' doin'
What I do through
And through and
I give you the news
With a twist
It's just his
Ghetto point-of-view
"

Jay-Z "Renegades"

Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM

355 posts, read 790,259 times
i think the pg cypher is an accurate representation. yall see dreads and tatts and automatically assume they doin gangsta rap and not even listening to the words. a good amount of them was not talkin gangsta, hell one of the scenes was at bowie state. there are two sides to pgcounty i saw both in this video. of course you not going to c a group of rappers hangin infront of their mini-mansion neighborhoods because those types usually dont persue a rap career. also, this was a "rep your hood" cypher..what did u really expect them to talk about

and for yall that say yall gave up on hiphop because of the content then yall need to stop listeing to the radio. there are plenty of rappers with a positive message on the scene..underground scene maybe but they still not hard to find. its 2012 there is all kinds of music to be found on the internet

Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM

I think you need to re-examine your entire argument. It appears that you are basing your statements on what you think I am saying, rather than what I actually am saying. Let me break it down for you: Music that condones - be it from lyrics OR visual representation - a type of mindset that is counterproductive to positive societal development is what I have issues with. This is most definitely exemplified in the rap videos shown in this thread. Obviously not all rap music in the US is this way; hence why I mentioned Will Smith. Before you try posting again, please go to NOVA first and complete at least one course in Logical Reasoning.

Oh, and if you don't think imagery of children gambling on the streets, advertising alcoholism, objectifying women, flashing weaponry, throwing up gang-like hand signs, etcetera is a bad influence to society, then I pray that we never cross paths or ever be neighbors. With 'promo' videos like Cypher's on PG county, no wonder its development continues to be patchy by hesitant investors.

Last edited by molukai; 08-22-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I think you need to re-examine your entire argument. It appears that you are basing your statements on what you think I am saying, rather than what I actually am saying. Let me break it down for you: Music that condones - be it from lyrics OR visual representation - a type of mindset that is counterproductive to positive societal development is what I have issues with. This is most definitely exemplified in the rap videos shown in this thread. Obviously not all rap music in the US is this way; hence why I mentioned Will Smith. Before you try posting again, please go to NOVA first and complete at least one course in Logical Reasoning.

Oh, and if you don't think imagery of children gambling on the streets, advertising alcoholism, objectifying women, flashing weaponry, throwing up gang-like hand signs, etcetera is a bad influence to society, then I pray that we never cross paths or ever be neighbors. You ever act that way in my direction, prepare to get a rifle pointed at you.
???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland