Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM

961 posts, read 2,025,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

Dumb strip club and nightclub songs about making it rain were made to look like the best thing in the entire world by flashy videos featuring arousing beautiful curvy women and incredibly expensive rented jewelry and cars. The club got elevated to a holy status of a church of ignorance.
I'm not saying that this is what you're saying--and you clearly know your hip-hop, but for me, a song is not automatically offensive just because it's about women and clubs, or because the video has curvy women. It can be exploitative for sure, but there is no automatic link.

I realize this sounds nit picky but bear with me.

A lot of time, it's just a bunch of kids having a good time. In fact, Latin, Dance, Pop and R&B videos will also often be just visually 'superficial' i.e. beaches, attractive females AND MALES, nice cars, mansions, etc. Hell, when I'm out at the club or just want to nod my head, I don't necessarily need a deep insightful philosophy message, though there is a time for that. I'd rather listen to Drake or yes, Will Smith, at a party than to Talib Kweli (or for the benefit of those not very familiar with hip-hop, say I'd rather listen to Kate Perry at a party than someone like Tool or Radiohead).

This is all for me, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I'm not saying that this is what you're saying--and you clearly know your hip-hop, but for me, a song is not automatically offensive just because it's about women and clubs, or because the video has curvy women. It can be exploitative for sure, but there is no automatic link.

I realize this sounds nit picky but bear with me.

A lot of time, it's just a bunch of kids having a good time. In fact, Latin, Dance, Pop and R&B videos will also often be just visually 'superficial' i.e. beaches, attractive females AND MALES, nice cars, mansions, etc. Hell, when I'm out at the club or just want to nod my head, I don't necessarily need a deep insightful philosophy message, though there is a time for that. I'd rather listen to Drake or yes, Will Smith, at a party than to Talib Kweli (or for the benefit of those not very familiar with hip-hop, say I'd rather listen to Kate Perry at a party than someone like Tool or Radiohead).

This is all for me, in my experience.
You're right about that. Hip Hop was originally founded as party music.

But I feel the same way about Gangsta Rap, especially since I'm from California. Common, when he was still Common Sense, took somewhat of a shot at the violent nature of West Coast Hip Hop on his classic "I Used to Love H.E.R." which caused Ice Cube to go at his throat. One of the earlier posts on the thread was decrying Gangsta Rap for glorifying selling drugs, murder and indulging in marijuana, alcohol and other drugs. While this may be partly true, the beauty of Gangsta Rap was shedding light on what life was for forgotten kids in the inner city. Like Ice Cube said in Boyz 'N The Hood, the media and American society at large "don't know, don't show and don't care about what goes on in the hood..."

I'm from San Francisco, originally. When people think of SF, they automatically think of gay people, hippies and rich White people who love the smell of their own farts. The media doesn't show the darker side of San Francisco because SF is the premier tourist city in this hemisphere and often ranks above NYC and Rio in being the number one tourist city in the Americas. However, the San Francisco neighborhood I lived in was just as crime ridden and dangerous as anywhere in Compton, Queensbridge, Southeast DC etc.

Rappers from my old neighborhood of Lakeview were some of the original collaborators with Master P on No Limit records when he was still living out in Richmond, California before he blew up when he relocated back to his hometown of New Orleans. This song was featured on the West Coast Bad Boyz Vol. I compilation which was No Limit's first commercially successful release. This song so effectively evokes the scary, ominous vibe of the streets of Lakeview in the 90's where automatic gunfire, armed robberies and homicide were business as usual in the menacing beat and lyrics that I can't even play it in my car during the daytime. Despite all of the extremely vivid nerve-wracking unsettling violent imagery in the raw lyrics and powerful combination of the chords in the beat, this is a truly beautiful example of Gangsta Rap and easily ranks up there among the best songs of the thugged out Hip Hop subgenre:

Similarly, much of the hard-edged DC Area Hip Hop and Go-Go fusion Hip Hop captured the beautiful desperation of being poor and Black in DC in the 90's:

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-24-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Never thought I'd see cellski on the WDC suburbs forum

Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Never thought I'd see cellski on the WDC suburbs forum
Please, somebody posted Korean Rap before me . I was merely illustrating how Gangsta Rap was a legitimate Hip Hop subgenre that called attention to the social ills that exist in ghetto America. It was only right to post a track from the heartland of Gangsta Rap which is the Golden State of California when explaining the nature of the Rap subgenre. Gangsta Rap was pioneered by the West Coast. Posting an East Coast track as an example of Gangsta Rap wouldn't really cut it. It would be like me breaking down positive alternative East Coast style Jazz-inspired Native Tounges Rap and then posting a song by the Pharcyde or Souls of Mischief; West Coast groups who were blatantly obviously influenced by an East Coast style instead of posting the originators.

It's important to acknowledge the West Coast's influence on DC Area Hip Hop. Afterall, local DC Hip Hop in the early to mid 90's was actually much more influenced by the Bay/L.A. than New York. These DC tapes were hustled and sold independently like how the Bay had done it since the early 80's. These DC songs would be appropriately labelled as G-Funk stylistically with the generic synths and such. Local DC Area Hip Hop in the 90's was Gangsta. It had every right to be. Afterall, DC was the "murder cap".

Long-time DC Area residents into the local music scene are familiar with Section 8 Mob. You ask a DC native about DC Hip Hop and Section 8 Mob is a name they will quickly rattle off. These DC dudes sound like they could be from Oakland or Compton instead of Southeast DC:

Or Ch*nk Santana repping DC and Forestville in PG who has collaborated with Dipset in recent years. In 95', he sounded like he might have been from Richmond, California Born to Mack Too $hort worthy Bay Area bass and all:

Although the "Five O'Clock in the Morning" had an undeniably distinct DC sound, other tracks on the album had the California G-Funk sound:

But the West Coast G-Funk sound and its subsequent shoot 'em up bang bang gangsta lyrical subject matter influenced Hip Hop in every region of the country in the early to mid 90's, including New York. Biggie's "Big Poppa" sounded like an L.A. track with its whiny synths and touched on common Bay Area Hip Hop "playa" subject matter. Sort of like how today every rapper from New York to California is trying to sound like they from Atlanta or Houston. Today, many of the gangsta rappers from DC/PG sound more Southern because that is what is dominant in Hip Hop in present day.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-25-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM

But at the end of the day, rappers from MoCo or HoCo spitting gangsta snit about killers, moving weight, big guns and being "g" are perpetrators. I blame BET and MTV for taking Gangsta Rap out of context and making it the modern day Blaxploitation genre. In the early 90's, positive Hip Hop on TV and the radio provided the necessary counterbalance to reveal the wide diversity of Black life showcased through Hip Hop music. But in the mid 90's, gangsterism took over mainstream Hip Hop and suburban wanksters are the result. There is an epidemic of young Black men from nice homes in nice, safe towns all across America trying to live out Reasonable Doubt and it is annoying.

In the case of MoCo rappers and any young impressionable Black folks dwelling in a safe suburban environment, they truly cannot relate to the raw subject matter of Gangsta rap because most of them do not hail from the same types of rough inner city environs as their favorite rappers. But these Black kids from a wealthy county with good schools and a nonexistent crime rate think they can relate to Gangsta rappers from "the trap" because our race-obsessed society often infers the retarded assumption that you can fully relate to anyone who shares the same complexion and physical features as yourself. Even if you are a petty crook part-time nickel-and-dime hustling a little bit of herb in Columbia or Silver Spring, you do not face the same day-to-day, minute-to-minute insanity that someone from a rival turf might drive through at any moment and blow your head off your shoulders like kids do in the hood. Unlike the Gangsta Rap that came from various hoods across America in the 90's, most MoCo rappers' rhymes do not reflect their lives or anything they've ever seen or lived around unless they lived in the hood prior to moving to the county; which is obviously not the case for many because they try to make MoCo seem hood when anyone who has lived in a legit ghetto knows that MoCo or HoCo are not hard by any means.

Pure corniness from a MoCo rapper. Since when has MoCo been hood and had "killers and dope dealers"?

This one from Howard County is even cornier. Self-professed "thugs" and "hoods" in Columbia? Really?!:

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-27-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

169 posts, read 299,767 times
The PGC cypher was a good laugh. I can see the same kids/young adults around my area of the county and a vast majority of them come from homes that don't reflect the video. I thought the single put bull to be a strange insertion into the midst of it as they are banned and this shed bad light upon them. I wonder why they are banned?
I wonder what any of those kid's parents think upon seeing this? You know they have as the kids want everyone to see them living like thugs, mom and dad included.
One of the things that intrigued me most was the excessive flashing of cash. What is this supposed to signify and where does one find this much to carry around? I know it's staged but for what reason? The portrayal of life as a huge drinking party binge was lol.
It doesn't describe this county unless you put all the thugs in a big Walmart and closed the doors. There are plenty of wannabe thugs but the real thing is not here. Tats are a dime a dozen as everyone in their teens now gets them to show how individual and different they are from their friends who do the same thing. Check out the clerks at your local Giant and see plenty.
Ya know; I never knew PGC had it's own gang signs to be aware of.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM

354 posts, read 784,837 times
Quote:
The PGC cypher was a good laugh. I can see the same kids/young adults around my area of the county and a vast majority of them come from homes that don't reflect the video.
True

Quote:
I wonder what any of those kid's parents think upon seeing this? You know they have as the kids want everyone to see them living like thugs, mom and dad included.
Many dont care or even encourage it.. alot of times the apple dont fall far from the tree. alot of parents are still hustlin, whoring, smoking with their kids..seen it first hand

Quote:
There are plenty of wannabe thugs
most certainly, but thats everywhere even in the toughest hoods

Quote:
but the real thing is not here.
then you in denial just becuz your part of town may be flooded with wannabees

Quote:
Ya know; I never knew PGC had it's own gang signs to be aware of
*Hood signs lol.. you clearly didnt grow up in the gogo's. nothin serious tho folks not out throwin up signs at their rivals at the conerstore like LA lol

Look im not trying to justify, or glorify may be a better term, the "thuggery" of PG lol im just sayin its out here.

Now with the PG cypher i dont know none of them dudes personally so i aint callin them real or fake

Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Not exactly. He grew up on Peabody St NW off of Georgia Ave until he was ten. I don't understand why people in the DC Area are so quick to try to prove Wale is not from DC. He lived in DC as a child when it was the murder capital of the United States and can't even get credit for it . That is like saying someone who lived in Ethiopia until they were ten is not from Ethiopia. By your logic, Jay-Z isn't from the Marcy projects or even Brooklyn but Hov is instead from Trenton, New Jersey . Afterall, Jay-Z did admit going to school and hanging in Trenton as a teen on the title track of the Blueprint:

Jay-Z

I think DC is just butt-hurt that they never had a Nas. Y'know, DC never had a project born and raised early twenty something who dropped out of school in the fifth grade and allegedly sold crack for a living only to become a critically acclaimed nationally respected rapper. Really? Are you going to fault Wale's parents for leaving DC when it was averaging near 500 murders a year?!

Actually, DC has never had a rapper make it big until now because rap is #2 in DC. GoGo is #1. The only reason Wale made it was because he rapped over GoGo samples. He is a genious if you ask me. Number one rule in the rap game, you must win your city first. That alone is the reason nobody made it before Wale and nobody has made it after him so far. GoGo must be a major platform for any DC rapper or you will get no support. That will always be the case. In the words of Method Man back in the day, "I know about DC, if's not GoGo, it's got to go".

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,291 times
Quote:
But at the end of the day, rappers from MoCo or HoCo spitting gangsta snit about killers, moving weight, big guns and being "g" are perpetrators. I blame BET and MTV for taking Gangsta Rap out of context and making it the modern day Blaxploitation genre. In the early 90's, positive Hip Hop on TV and the radio provided the necessary counterbalance to reveal the wide diversity of Black life showcased through Hip Hop music. But in the mid 90's, gangsterism took over mainstream Hip Hop and suburban wanksters are the result. There is an epidemic of young Black men from nice homes in nice, safe towns all across America trying to live out Reasonable Doubt and it is annoying.

In the case of MoCo rappers and any young impressionable Black folks dwelling in a safe suburban environment, they truly cannot relate to the raw subject matter of Gangsta rap because most of them do not hail from the same types of rough inner city environs as their favorite rappers. But these Black kids from a wealthy county with good schools and a nonexistent crime rate think they can relate to Gangsta rappers from "the trap" because our race-obsessed society often infers the retarded assumption that you can fully relate to anyone who shares the same complexion and physical features as yourself. Even if you are a petty crook part-time nickel-and-dime hustling a little bit of herb in Columbia or Silver Spring, you do not face the same day-to-day, minute-to-minute insanity that someone from a rival turf might drive through at any moment and blow your head off your shoulders like kids do in the hood. Unlike the Gangsta Rap that came from various hoods across America in the 90's, most MoCo rappers' rhymes do not reflect their lives or anything they've ever seen or lived around unless they lived in the hood prior to moving to the county; which is obviously not the case for many because they try to make MoCo seem hood when anyone who has lived in a legit ghetto knows that MoCo or HoCo are not hard by any means.

Pure corniness from a MoCo rapper. Since when has MoCo been hood and had "killers and dope dealers"?

This one from Howard County is even cornier. Self-professed "thugs" and "hoods" in Columbia? Really?!:

Exactly. As I stated before, there are no hard people in Montgomery county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland