U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,090,462 times

Advertisements

I think its time to put an end to this once and for all. I have done my research and have notice that one test scores Pg county have high test scores then Montgomery county. I have numbers to prove it and website so all can see for themselves. This is not for people to post what they think about each county but to post facts. I want folks to understand that not all schools in Pg county an dlow test scores and not all schools in Montgoery county have high test scores. I am just tired of folks posting wrong information about something they know nothing about.

Below is 3rd grade Reading test results for 2007 Maryland State Assesment.
Here is the website:2007 Maryland Report Card

2007 MSA Proficiency Levels - Grade 3 - Reading
Percent

Advanced Proficient Basic

Montgomery County 26.1 basic 58.8 Proficient 15.1 Advanced

Maryland State 20.2 basic 60.3 Proficient 19.5 Advanced This is the average test scores of the entire state of maryland.

Prince George county:
30.5 basic 59.2 Proficient 10.3 Advanced
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM

99 posts, read 486,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I think its time to put an end to this once and for all. I have done my research and have notice that one test scores Pg county have high test scores then Montgomery county. I have numbers to prove it and website so all can see for themselves. This is not for people to post what they think about each county but to post facts. I want folks to understand that not all schools in Pg county an dlow test scores and not all schools in Montgoery county have high test scores. I am just tired of folks posting wrong information about something they know nothing about.

Percent

Maryland State 20.2 basic 60.3 Proficient 19.5 Advanced This is the average test scores of the entire state of maryland.

Prince George county:

FYI A higher basic % means a higher percent of students scoring below grade level. Therefore based on your statistics shown MC has only 26.1% of 3rd graders scoring below grade level in Reading while PGC has 30.5% of students scoring below grade level in Reading. This means MC has better test scores than PGC.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Base up on your assumption of the scores Pg county scored 10.3% on Advanced reading while Montgomery county school scored 15.1% which means Pg county 3rd graders reads on a more advanced level then Montgomery county 3rd graders
Their are 3 different catergories: Basic ,proficient,Advanced.

What you stated was Montgomery county students score higher then Pg county students on the basic level of reading but not the advanced level of reading.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM

222 posts, read 1,019,081 times
Quote:
Base up on your assumption of the scores Pg county scored 10.3% on Advanced reading while Montgomery county school scored 15.1% which means Pg county 3rd graders reads on a more advanced level then Montgomery county 3rd graders
Their are 3 different catergories: Basic ,proficient,Advanced.

What you stated was Montgomery county students score higher then Pg county students on the basic level of reading but not the advanced level of reading.
Huh???

Mont co had higher scores. Basic means below grade level (or basically unacceptable). PG co = 31% basic (therefore 69% was acceptable) MoCo
= 26% basic (therefore 74% acceptable). I was taught (in MoCo) that 74% is higher than 69%.

Basic = no doing well
proficient = good
advanced = great

I believe your data proves that MoCo has higher test scores. Sorry. Check your data. Maybe you are wrong or maybe you typed it wrong. I need to go grade papers and put my kids to bed, so I'm not headed to the link.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Even if you interpet the numbers your way with the basic level and not look at the other numbers that means Montgomery County only score 4% more then Pg county. People on this forum make Pg county schools seem like it is so far behind Montgomery county when its only 4% which is not that much higher. That 4% can be made up in one school year. The main reason for the posting of the numbers is to prove that Pg county and Montgomery county is basically on the same level. Those numbers were just for 3rd grade reading.
Prince George county:

On the Proficient level Pg county out scores Montgomery County.
In the numbers it proves MOnt CO and Pg county are very close in testing scores.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 AM

222 posts, read 1,019,081 times
Hey, I never said PG co was bad. I would say they far surpass many school systems around the county. I was just responding to your data.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:06 AM

268 posts, read 1,075,001 times
Either way...

There is to much competition in both counties..

Leaving to much stress on the kids...

It's all about who's child is "smarter/better"

What ever happened to allowing kids to be kids and not push, push, push.

And you wonder why so many kids are rebeling, becoming depressed and doing things like driving themselves into trees????????

JMO...That is one BIG reason I got out... Don't compare your kid to mine!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 AM

I got tired of folks on this forum saying Pg county schools system is the worst in Maryland. I got tired of folks saying how much better Montgomery county school system is compared to Pg county and the data just prove that Pg county and Montgomery county shcool system is on the same level. I hear on this forum Pg county school system sucks and its way behind Montgomery County, well I guess these figures prove Pg county school system and Montgomery school system are on the same level. Pg county have improve the schools for the better already. All Elementary schools in Pg county have Pre-K. The county have also hired more teachers,getting parents involved their children schools. I believe the county will be putting 3-5 million dollars into the school system this year alone.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 33,387 times
Quote:

Percent

Prince George county:
You labled the Montgomery county data backwards. See here:

2007 Maryland Report Card: Montgomery County

It's
Montogmery 26.1% Advanced, 58.8% Proficient, 15.1% Basic
PG County 10.3% Advanced, 59.2% Proficient, 30.5% Basic

for 3rd grade reading scores. If, for example, you pick 8 grade math levels you get:

Montgomery 36.3% Advanced, 31.1% Proficient, 32.6% Basic
PG County 11.0% Advanced, 26.6% Proficient, 62.4% Basic

The gaps are large, and to ignore them is not constructive. The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,188,362 times
I don't think test scores are a fair reflection of the PG county schools. There are students who excel at the same schools others fail. The achievers and non-achieving are getting the same instruction. Its the students who are failing themselves. You have to want to learn and many students as they get older would rather not apply themselves to school every day. Too often I see school-age children wandering the streets during school hours. This is reflected in the scores--the higher the grade level, the lower the scores. A 3rd grader is still bright-eyed and bushy tailed and wants to learn. Middle school and up is harder for some and pressure, rebellion, or circumstances at home may play a role in the lower scores. My point is, honor roll students and D students are all sitting in the same class learning the same thing, so is it the schools fault or the student's fault that the scores are low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland