Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,437 times

Advertisements

We're a youngish couple moving to the area to start jobs at Goddard, in Greenbelt, and are thinking about purchasing a home. Right now we're considering a place in Laurel (Howard Co.), but are also thinking about Bowie, Silver Spring, or somewhere closer to Annapolis, like Edgewater. We don't have kids yet, but are thinking long-term and would like a place with decent schools.

We are moving from the southwest, and are used to wide open places with mountains in the distance. While I know we won't find anything like that (sigh), we'd like something a little more open and country, with a small town feel. Is that a reasonable thing to look for? We're thinking that a 30 minute commute would be about the max, and a home under $400k with an acre+. We don't need/want fancy (would rather make it into what we want it to be), but really would like some space around us. Does Laurel have a good sense of community? Or would we be better off looking further out in AA county?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktsrgn View Post
Does Laurel have a good sense of community? Or would we be better off looking further out in AA county?
Laurel does have a smaller town feel, but there's no way you will find an acre of land for under $400K, that is still within a half-hour of Goddard.

You might find an acre in Carroll County, but you would have a much further commute. You need to be realistic.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Based on our own house search in PG County, you might be able to find what you are looking for in Upper Marlboro, but I don't know if the schools there are on the same level as the places you are suggesting...

A while back we did see a house for sale in Glenn Dale MD that had .93 of an acre and it sold for 340k.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
A while back we did see a house for sale in Glenn Dale MD that had .93 of an acre and it sold for 340k.
OK, there may be an exceptional house with that large a lot, but typical lots are less than a quarter acre in Prince George County.

There are 5 houses currently listed in Millersville, MD (AA County) with a bit over an acre. They are mostly 1950's or 60's houses, which would be typical with larger lots. The commute is probably longer than 30 minutes to Goddard.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-11-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM

I've actually found a couple of places that fit what we're looking for in terms of the commute/price/land, so I guess I'm more interested in the communities. I've checked the crime stats/school rankings online, but it's hard to get a feel for the place without spending a good deal of time there. I drove around a bit in the Crofton/Davidsonville area, and liked that, but the houses out are mostly out of our price range, with a few exceptions. In North Laurel, there are a few options that we like, but I haven't been there, other than a quick drive-by, and I've never gone into downtown Laurel.

But it's good to know that what we're looking for is pretty rare.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Rocktsrgn,

I hope you can find what you're looking for. I think you might find the acre+ lot you want in your price range if you're willing to make other compromises.

You may have to calibrate your expectations on country or small town feel, though. I'm pretty sure a home on a larger lot in North Laurel will feel more suburban than rural. This simply isn't the underpopulated Southwest where land is abundant. This is a highly developed and densely populated area of the East Coast and Goddard is only about ten miles from the major job center of DC. Pretty much by definition, there aren't any real small towns or country left within easy commuting distance of job centers. Those areas that still have that feel (and decent schools) will be expensive.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM

92 posts, read 429,111 times
You might want to check western Howard Co, if thats withing a reasonable commute to Goddard for you. Places like Clarksville, Scaggsville, etc till have a fair amount of open land, of course there's less property actually for sale in that area too. Anne Arundel Co. would be more affordable it terms of property costs and the schools are pretty good. Gambrills might be a good compromise, its kinda sandwiched in between Crofton, Annapolis, and the farms of Davidsonville. Its a suburb with a little more of a country feel.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks, all.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM

163 posts, read 259,558 times
Maryland south of DC is country

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Try Croom, which is near the part of Upper Marlboro off Rt. 301. There's also the Brandywine area, further south off 301. The commute won't be the greatest, but not the worst. Some parts of Upper Marlboro (again, off 301) will have some acreage. These areas are pretty, too.Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland