U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

I plan to drive around and see if I have any luck before I make my final choice. However, everything so far is way out of my price range, and I can't move to PG county or other places because they are too far from my job.

Can anyone tell me if either of these mobile home communities are safe, clean and okay living for. I used to live in NC near Raleigh and its suburbs, and knew so many people that lived in trailer communities. The trailers were nice and the areas were safe. I never felt uncomfortable visiting my friends that lived in trailers down there, however, I'm not sure about things up here. I also plan to get a security system installed on my trailer (or apartment if I can find an affordable one).

Here are the communities I've found.

Middlebrook Mobile Home Park
19515 Frederick Rd
Germantown, MD 20876

Oakcrest Mobile Home Park
20240 FREDERICK RD
Germantown, MD 20876
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM

12,692 posts, read 24,157,042 times
Middlebrook is apparently still there, but Oakcrest is gone-- eliminated by a developer. That's the problem with MHP's: they are likely to be sold to the next high bidder who wants to put up apartments or stores.

There's no substitute for driving around in the evening and see whether shady characters are around.

Regarding apartments, MoCo apparently has some programs for people with lower incomes, and requires some apartments to be set aside. I read some discussion of it on this forum a year or two ago. Try searching on "low income apartments Montgomery County".

Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM

490 posts, read 858,736 times
im sorry but those mobile homes need to be remove from montgomery county.....there hurting the value of the area......they been there over 20years......i can't understand why they haven't been remove yet........mobile home should be in frederick or hagerstown not montgomery county or any part of the dc area....there alot of people that feel the same way.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,260,069 times
You know I always wondered about that. That place sticks out like a sore thumb. Was most of the area like that like 30 years ago or something?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM

490 posts, read 858,736 times
@Btsilver...............I guess so? Im live in Germantown over by Northwest HS. Germantown has change completely over the past 20yrs, but I could never wrap my head around why are those Mobile homes still there. They need to be removed!!!! Especially with the New Holy Cross Hospital, Wegmans, and Marten Property coming to the area....YES its an eye sore

Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 PM

200 posts, read 575,763 times
I thought the middlebrook park was removed years ago when the cider barrel was turned into apartments.

It's (really not very) funny that a liberal, diversity-supporting county like Mongtomery has commenters denouncing certain kinds of housing. You didn't notice the ugliness of the monotonous plastic-clad houses with the fake plastic shutters in your neighborhood?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM

That Cider Barrel is still there.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
It's (really not very) funny that a liberal, diversity-supporting county like Mongtomery has commenters denouncing certain kinds of housing.
Agreed. I grew up in a mobile home (in Massachusetts). They offer lower-income people a place to live cheaply with more privacy that an apartment. There is certainly a place for MHP's in Montgomery. I hope the OP found someplace she could afford.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
That Cider Barrel is still there.
But it has been painted red, white and blue, according to Google street-view. It is in front of a new apartment development where (I believe) the Oakcrest mobile home park used to be.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Well I wasn't living in the county 20 some years ago. So the place was littered with mobile home parks back in the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland