Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,004,074 times

Advertisements

There is very little connection between Baltimore and DC except driving and the MARC train. That would have to drastically improve. That is really the only way this wouldn't become a headache. There is also not a much of a benefit from each city because the events would be so spread out. It's not like they would be in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,590,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
There is very little connection between Baltimore and DC except driving and the MARC train. That would have to drastically improve. That is really the only way this wouldn't become a headache. There is also not a much of a benefit from each city because the events would be so spread out. It's not like they would be in one place.
It can be worked out. It's a great idea. I think the DC-Baltimore area is just as capable as any other international city. It can be done. That's why you have like 8 years to prepare. Yes, there will be challenges, but each time, the host city has risen to them and people have a great time.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,890,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Another thread on the same topic....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...ympic-bid.html

I'd say only if it can be entirely paid for by private/commercial sponsorships/fundings. Otherwise, we can't even get our own house straight (traffic, transportation, infrastructure failures every time we get some weather) much less host a international event. There are more results like Montreal, Vancouver, Athens than there are LAs, and Salt Lake Cities.

Economic forecasts are like weather people... they are much better historians.... Local case in point - Baltimore Grand Prix
Private interes doesn't build infrastructure. It is almost always public.

Could work if there was a big infrastructure upgrade, and this would benefit the area in the long run
However, I doubt the funding is there and that they could build it on time.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Private interes doesn't build infrastructure. It is almost always public.

Could work if there was a big infrastructure upgrade, and this would benefit the area in the long run
However, I doubt the funding is there and that they could build it on time.
If you look at the figures, the funding is always there. I don't think I've every known a city to turn down a bid for a lack of funds. At worst, bonds would be issued. They would have no problem paying back the investors because the olympics usually brings in billions as noted in the article. There always seems to be a way. Like I said, if Atlanta can get it done, I'm sure the capital of the free world could get it done.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,890,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If you look at the figures, the funding is always there. I don't think I've every known a city to turn down a bid for a lack of funds. At worst, bonds would be issued. They would have no problem paying back the investors because the olympics usually brings in billions as noted in the article. There always seems to be a way. Like I said, if Atlanta can get it done, I'm sure the capital of the free world could get it done.
The poster was talking about private interest. They don't build infrastructure as there is no profit in it unless the government subsidizes it and that is still using public funding.

They certainly could do it. I'm not sure if they could get all the funding they want though. I'm sure they could get some but not all they need.

Then there is the issue of how these things tend to go way over budget and rarely get finished when they are supposed to and sometimes take years longer then expected.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The poster was talking about private interest. They don't build infrastructure as there is no profit in it unless the government subsidizes it and that is still using public funding.

They certainly could do it. I'm not sure if they could get all the funding they want though. I'm sure they could get some but not all they need.

Then there is the issue of how these things tend to go way over budget and rarely get finished when they are supposed to and sometimes take years longer then expected.
I do recall Greece having some financial issues when they hosted the olympics.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,048,773 times
I read this article earlier and thought "dear god, no". Then, I thought about it a little more and realized I could rent my house out for 2 weeks and take a nice relaxing vacation.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,570,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I think so too, if only for the no-longer-ignorable infrastructure improvements that hosting the games would require.
Yeah the metro and Marc would need to be built out significantly as well as any trolley, BRT or LRT system

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM

29 posts, read 135,024 times
I lived in Atlanta when they hosted the '96 Olympics. It would not be a problem here. They'd probably need to build a new swimming venue...and of course a signature "olympic stadium" for track & field...unless they renovated an existing stadium. Metro is already better than Marta (Atlanta) ever was...in terms of accesibility and stations, etc... not necessarily safety.
I remember the big worry about ATL leading up to it was the traffic. Of course it turned out to be the greatest 2 weeks of ATL traffic i ever experienced. So many people just left town or took vacation for those couple weeks..getting to work was cake. The other thing were all the bars & restaurants that lost money anticipating huge crowds. Unless your restaurant was within walking distance of the downtown Olympic park, the restaurants and bars were dead. Visitors mainly went to places that were close to the main action. They didn't stray all over the metro area..and ATL is huge like DC/Balt. I've heard this same situation has happened to other olympic cities.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM

45,520 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrb2 View Post
I lived in Atlanta when they hosted the '96 Olympics. It would not be a problem here. They'd probably need to build a new swimming venue...and of course a signature "olympic stadium" for track & field...unless they renovated an existing stadium. Metro is already better than Marta (Atlanta) ever was...in terms of accesibility and stations, etc... not necessarily safety.
I remember the big worry about ATL leading up to it was the traffic. Of course it turned out to be the greatest 2 weeks of ATL traffic i ever experienced. So many people just left town or took vacation for those couple weeks..getting to work was cake. The other thing were all the bars & restaurants that lost money anticipating huge crowds. Unless your restaurant was within walking distance of the downtown Olympic park, the restaurants and bars were dead. Visitors mainly went to places that were close to the main action. They didn't stray all over the metro area..and ATL is huge like DC/Balt. I've heard this same situation has happened to other olympic cities.
Stop making sense and talking realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland