Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
You seem like an extremely angry person. Any time when you just result in name calling and trying to make someone feel bad or whatever your goal is.... Not going to get anywhere or accomplish anything.

I honestly feel sorry for the people on any side of this issue and others... That legitimately feel hatred and anger towards people they don't even know... And talk so negatively towards them to try and hurt them or cut them down. I don't see pgtitans ever trying to do that towards you, but just trying to have a conversation. Maybe you should let yourself calm down and think through thinks before your respond to others.
Thank you! For the most part, everyone has been civil, but for some reason he is taking things personal and attacking others. We are all adults here (I hope) and we aren't going to agree on everything (it's the internet after all). I don't fault anyone to believe what they believe, but I feel it's wrong to belittle people just because they don't share the same views as you do. Calling people names never accomplishes anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 PM

575 posts, read 554,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
okay, so again i ask you, how do you know that gay marriage is right? What is your foundation for deciding that gay marriage is okay but the other things aren't?

One thing you and many other people need to understand is, the bible wasn't written the way you want it. If you take that viewpoint that you have, you can say the bible doesn't say a lot things explicitly. That's not how the bible was written. If it were written in that manner, there would be no need for faith and there would be no need to develop a relationship with god. The bible was written in a manner that can be understood through the holy spirit. In other words, if you sit there and read the bible in a manner, that the bible is fake, god doesn't exist, or anything else that you may or may not believe, then you won't have the capacity to understand what is being written. In other words, if you already believe it's not true, then it's not going to matter what it states, is it? That is what faith is all about.

Oh okay, you want to use the interracial marriage argument. Well i've heard this one before and i will tell you why it doesn't apply. The issue here is, marriage was never defined by race. That is the reason why there were a number of states that never recognized a racial ban on marriage. Also, the ban of interracial marriage didn't re-define marriage, it was a provision to prevent certain people to get married, completely different than what you are talking about. Once loving vs. Virginia happened, marriage wasn't re-defined, the provision of only certain races being able to marriage was dropped.

Just because I view the Bible the way I do doesn't mean I'm some Atheist or Agnostic (I'm Catholic btw). I'm just more open minded towards social issues and I feel that if God had a problem w/ gays getting married, he would have said something and it seems to me that he clearly doesn't. Either way, I'd rather just agree to disagree with you on this.

Does that sound fair?

Last edited by InvaderBryce; 08-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I'm not sure how heterosexual couples failing at their duties and commitment of marriage has anything to do with same sex marriage.....?

I think society and the law needs to take a more serious look at punishing infidelity between married couples... Might help that some.... Oh....and the couples had more solid values and morals. But this is a new day in age.

Separate serious question I am just curious about, because I haven't heard a response to.... If civil unions did provide the exact same legal benefits as marriage.... Would that be acceptable?

It's interesting just because there are sooo many different opinions.... I have gay friends that don't think same sex marriage should be legal... I really have heard all view points from all sexual orientations it seems like....
I'd much prefer marriage but If it allows gays and lesbians to have the same rights then so be it. The problem is that it would never happen because a segment of our population will still find a way to liken civil unions to marriage.

Sad but true.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 PM

692 posts, read 1,005,526 times
Bibles and beliefs aside, the only way the restaurant will leave campus is money. That's it. Businesses are brought on campus if it is believed there will be a financial gain for the business and the university. For a campus that size a petition with a thousand signatures won't matter if Chick Fil A is cranking out the money. A petition with ten thousand signatures won't matter if Chick Fil A is cranking out money. If the business were to lose a serious amount of profit for more than say 3 consecutive quarters, they will leave. Otherwise short of the CFA president committing murder or students burning the place down Chick fil A ain't going anywhere.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Just because I view the Bible the way I do doesn't mean I'm some Atheist or Agnostic (I'm Catholic btw). I'm just more open minded towards social issues and I feel that if God had a problem w/ gays getting married, he would have said something and it seems to me that he clearly doesn't. Either way, I'd rather just agree to disagree with you on this.

Does that sound fair?
And i'm not accusing you of being any of those things, but i think your view of the bible is flawed to be frank. Anytime you talk about the Bible and you start off the statement with "I feel", you aren't basing your view on facts, you are basing it on your own personal preference. What you are saying is the equivalent of telling Stephen King how he should write his books. oh i don't like the way that ended, do you think you could have let her live.. Do you see the flaw in that thinking? The Bible wasn't written the way you feel it should be or how I feel it should be, it was written the way God designed it to be. God didn't address homosexuality explicitly but it is still made clear, by what is stated. Look at these scriptures:

Genesis 1:27-28
Quote:
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Matthew 19:4-6
Quote:
4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Why would the Bible continue to explicitly state male and female? And also in Matthew 19, Jesus was explaining to the Pharisees what marriage was. Noticed he mentioned again, male and female. He didn't say male-male or female-female, so how can you interpret the purpose of marriage to include same-sex couple in God's eyes when he never mentioned that as his design?

Last edited by justtitans; 08-26-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
And i'm not accusing you of being any of those things, but i think your view of the bible is flawed to be frank. Anytime you talk about the Bible and you start off the statement with "I feel", you aren't basing your view on facts, you are basing it on your own personal preference. What you are saying is the equivalent of telling Stephen King how he should write his books. oh i don't like the way that ended, do you think you could have let her live.. Do you see the flaw in that thinking? The Bible wasn't written the way you feel it should be or how I feel it should be, it was written the way God designed it to be. God didn't address homosexuality explicitly but it is still made clear, by what is stated. Look at these scriptures:

Genesis 1:27-28

Matthew 19:4-6

Why would the Bible continue to explicitly state male and female? And also in Matthew 19, Jesus was explaining to the Pharisees what marriage was. Noticed he mentioned again, male and female. He didn't say male-male or female-female, so how can you interpret the purpose of marriage to include same-sex couple in God's eyes when he never mentioned that as his design?
Yet he didn't say himself that it was "wrong" or "immoral"; those were the words of others. What's to say that God doesn't have a problem with it? Also, the Bible wasn't written by God himself, it was written by others who interpreted God's words in their own way.

Lastly, since God creates humans in his own image, what's to say that God doesn't create gay men and gay women in his own image?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yet he didn't say himself that it was "wrong" or "immoral"; those were the words of others. What's to say that God doesn't have a problem with it? Also, the Bible wasn't written by God himself, it was written by others who interpreted God's words in their own way.
But that's the thing, it is further proven by other scripture. An example of this is Jude 1:7 which says:

Quote:
7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
It described homosexuality in this passage being a punishable offense. This is the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. Again, there is nothing in scripture condoning homosexuality because God never intended for us to engage in it. If he did, why wouldn't he give male-male or female-female relationships the same chance to procreate? These relationships are incapable of procreating, and given that God stated that we are to be fruitful and multiply, how is that possible in a homosexual relationship? The more homosexual relationships there are, the less fruitful we become. So how would we even survive?

As far as the how the Bible was written, yes it's true that the Bible wasn't written by God himself, but it was written under the influence of the Holy Spirit. People forget that the Bible is a collection of books that were separately written. The books were not written together, therefore, the amazing evidence of the Holy Spirit is evident when different books support each other.

Quote:
Lastly, since God creates humans in his own image, what's to say that God doesn't create gay men and gay women in his own image?
You are again looking at scripture to justify what you believe to be true, not based on what it actually says. If you believe homosexuality is okay, then the only thing you will do is look for scripture to justify what you believe, rather than actually seeing what is stated. There isn't any example of God creating gay people or condoning their behavior in the Bible. God created many things, but he also gave us free will. There are people who have God given ability to do some amazing things, but they use it for bad. It's like saying God created the atomic bomb. God didn't create the atomic bomb, he created the people, he created the materials, but it was the people who choose to act carnally to create something that is destructive. For example, God created you, but you have the choice to accept him or reject him. God hasn't programmed you to believe in him. We were indeed created in his image but it's because of people not allowing the Holy Spirit to influence them, that they have fallen from God's will and they are doing things that are against God's will.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
But that's the thing, it is further proven by other scripture. An example of this is Jude 1:7 which says:

It described homosexuality in this passage being a punishable offense. This is the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. Again, there is nothing in scripture condoning homosexuality because God never intended for us to engage in it. If he did, why wouldn't he give male-male or female-female relationships the same chance to procreate? These relationships are incapable of procreating, and given that God stated that we are to be fruitful and multiply, how is that possible in a homosexual relationship? The more homosexual relationships there are, the less fruitful we become. So how would we even survive?

As far as the how the Bible was written, yes it's true that the Bible wasn't written by God himself, but it was written under the influence of the Holy Spirit. People forget that the Bible is a collection of books that were separately written. The books were not written together, therefore, the amazing evidence of the Holy Spirit is evident when different books support each other.

You are again looking at scripture to justify what you believe to be true, not based on what it actually says. If you believe homosexuality is okay, then the only thing you will do is look for scripture to justify what you believe, rather than actually seeing what is stated. There isn't any example of God creating gay people or condoning their behavior in the Bible. God created many things, but he also gave us free will. There are people who have God given ability to do some amazing things, but they use it for bad. It's like saying God created the atomic bomb. God didn't create the atomic bomb, he created the people, he created the materials, but it was the people who choose to act carnally to create something that is destructive. For example, God created you, but you have the choice to accept him or reject him. God hasn't programmed you to believe in him. We were indeed created in his image but it's because of people not allowing the Holy Spirit to influence them, that they have fallen from God's will and they are doing things that are against God's will.

Okay, now I'm done with you on this subject since you're just posting talking points. I'm not going to sit here and read through the same crap I could've gotten on the FRC website. Is it that hard for you to at least be open minded or are you one of those people who try to live their life by the Bible?

BTW, If you ever wondered why so many idiots...I mean people are becoming atheist, it's because of posts and closed-minded views/statements like the ones you've just made.

I eagerly await your religious response.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 AM

304 posts, read 714,351 times
Quote:
Okay, now I'm done with you on this subject since you're just posting talking points. I'm not going to sit here and read through the same crap I could've gotten on the FRC website. Is it that hard for you to at least be open minded or are you one of those people who try to live their life by the Bible?

BTW, If you ever wondered why so many idiots...I mean people are becoming atheist, it's because of posts and closed-minded views/statements like the ones you've just made.

Atheists are "idiots" ... people who are free-willed; not brainwashed into believing in something insanely ridiculous and tantamount to believing in Santa Claus; people who aren't bound to the words of some phantom book of holy scriptures about some phantom mythical being in the sky that no one since the beginning of time has been able to prove the existence of; free-thinkers who are capable of thinking for themselves and deciding what makes sense based on common logic and common sense; people who don't use a religious pretense to cast hate, judgment, ridicule, and oppression on others ... THOSE people are the idiots??? Hmmm, that's really good to know lol. I guess I had it wrong for so long. Interesting that the smartest human beings ever known to walk this Earth, were all atheists. I guess Judge Judy has it wrong when she constantly states, "If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true." Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:

If I tell you I'm a Christian, why would you expect me NOT to live by what the Bible states? The fact that I am sitting here and having a conversation with you without condemning you for what you believe or telling you that you should think like me should let you know that I am open-minded. Open-minded doesn't mean I'm going to change what I believe though. People who are close-minded wouldn't even have a conversation about what you believe, I have just been expressing what I believe to be the truth, whether you agree with it or not. I let you know from the jump what I was about, just like Dan Cathy did to everyone else, but you think that people should think like you? Makes no sense. You want people who are Christians not to use the Bible as a guide for their life? Who are you to tell me or anyone else how I should live my life? I never told anyone on here how they should live. If you support gay marriage, that's your prerogative but don't expect me to just because you think it's okay. We have different beliefs, different experiences and different views of what the truth is. To be honest, I think the only reason why you came on here was to find something wrong with what I stated, which is why I believe your first response was so strange, off-topic and minimal to the main point. If you are struggling with atheism or what you believe, then I think deep down inside, you know the real truth and that's the real reason why you challenged literally everything I wrote in this thread. I mean why would you question the meaning in the Bible if you don't believe in it, unless you have insecurity about what you believe? That's like me trying to tell a Muslim what's in the Koran and telling them what it really says. If you are sure about what you believe, you don't need to prove me wrong for those things to be true to you, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: