Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,569,964 times

Advertisements

But is this a surprise. They have always been a very religious organization and have held those beliefs since the beginning. Being upset because they defended their position is like criticizing someone for being a democrat or a republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 PM

596 posts, read 731,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
But is this a surprise. They have always been a very religious organization and have held those beliefs since the beginning. Being upset because they defended their position is like criticizing someone for being a democrat or a republican.
I'm sure there are lots of people who never realized or even gave a second thought to the religious affiliation of the company, so they likely didn't even know what the company's position was until now. Yes, the religious aspect should have been reasonably obvious by the fact that they're closed on Sundays, but you know people don't always think things through. Many customers just liked the food and didn't think any further than that until Cathy's views were publicized. Or even if they realized it was a religious company, they may not have known that he specifically contributed to organizations that oppose gay marriage (or only support "traditional marriage"). I think many people just didn't give it much thought until it was all laid out in front of them.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM

575 posts, read 555,396 times
Cathy is wrong for ever opening his mouth, citizens and politicians are wrong for trying to block or even remove Chick-Fil A restaurants from their cities and towns and certain media/religious figures are wrong for trying to spin this event in their favor.

Seriously, if we just legalized gay marriage already, we wouldn't have this mess in the first place. Nobody would be in trouble for spouting off their position on the topic and there wouldn't be a deranged dude with 15 Chick-Fil A sandwiches trying to shoot up a building simply because he didn't agree with their politics.

Last edited by InvaderBryce; 08-17-2012 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 PM

304 posts, read 714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Really just because YOU don't agree with their views? For starters the CEO never said he was against gay marriage, he said he was for traditional marriage. So in essence, polygamists, incestuous people and other groups of people could be equally mad. It is being made out like he singled out gays, which he never even mentioned in his quote (nor does the organizations he support). Then even if you go on the premise that he is anti-gay, couldn't you argue that protesting his business make you anti-Christian?

But what I find unbelievable about this particular situation is that these individuals believe they can tell other people who they should and should not patronize. If you have an issue with them, just don't spend your money there. How hard is that?
It's posts like this, why I usually take things you say with a grain of salt. Your thoughts/opinions are usually a classic example of a "hit or miss." Sometimes, you seem to be so on point with what you know about a particular issue or topic ... and other times, you are as far from the truth as right is from wrong or day is from night.

I'd stronly advise you to make sure you are thoroughly educated and knowledgeable on topics that you choose to speak so passionately about, especially when it deals with oppression of others and violating equal civil rights/liberties for all.

As posted in the link I'm providing to my rebuttal, Dan Cathy—Chick-fil-A president—didn't simply state that he was for the traditional meaning of marriage. Do you really think that THIS many people would be this damned upset over an opinion like that? I don't happen to agree with that feeling or opinion, but I can respect it. Dan Cathay went MUCH further than that in his remarks about his feelings towards gay marriage, and what you are posting as FACT, is more like fiction. Dan Cathy didn't mearly state that he simply believed in traditional marriage. He went on to state that if you support gay marriage, you "are inviting God's judgment on our nation" and that we "shake our fist at Him." He also went on to state another tidbit, which is so much more damning and the reason why people who are against his views, have a right to their opinion. Cathy stated that same-sex marriage is the result of a "DEPRIVED" mind, and then he called gay marriage "twisted up kind of stuff." So where are we know? It will be interesting to see how you defend this or find a way out of the web you've gotten yourself trapped in.

Also, Chick-fil-A has donated AT LEAST $5 million to orgniations that, among other things, depict gay people as "pedophiles," who want to make "gay behavior" ILLEGAL, and even go on to say gay people should be "exported" out of America. Some of these organizations have been identified as certified hate groups by the ACLU. Chick-fil-A also supports organizations that have claimed they can convert gay people into heterosexuals, such as "Pray Away the Gay," this despite the FACT that virtually every major medical organization has openly stated that such a thing is not only impossible, but dangerous and harmful.

Going beyond these serious issues, people and the media keep stating that Chick-fil-A has never discriminated, yet they have been sued over A DOZEN TIMES for employment discrimination. This is something that world renowned Forbes business publication, stated in 2007. Forbes went on to refer to Chick-fil-A as a "cult," and they reported that their CEO (Truett Cathy) said he only wanted to hire married people because they are more industrious and productive.

I implore you to make sure you are truly knowledgeable about issues that are this controversial, and effect/hurt human beings.

Chick-fil-A: 5 Reasons It Isn't What You Think

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I'm sure there are lots of people who never realized or even gave a second thought to the religious affiliation of the company, so they likely didn't even know what the company's position was until now. Yes, the religious aspect should have been reasonably obvious by the fact that they're closed on Sundays, but you know people don't always think things through. Many customers just liked the food and didn't think any further than that until Cathy's views were publicized. Or even if they realized it was a religious company, they may not have known that he specifically contributed to organizations that oppose gay marriage (or only support "traditional marriage"). I think many people just didn't give it much thought until it was all laid out in front of them.
Lack of awareness is why we are tanking as a country. Not knowing or not taking the time to understand the businesses one patronize is the fault of the individual. But now that they ( the opponents) are aware they can protest to the high heavens but understand that more than likely their position won't change.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 PM

304 posts, read 714,614 times
Quote:
Lack of awareness is why we are tanking as a country. Not knowing or not taking the time to understand the businesses one patronize is the fault of the individual. But now that they ( the opponents) are aware they can protest to the high heavens but understand that more than likely their position won't change.
Where did you get the impression that anyone was trying to change Chick-fil-A's position? What interview have you seen where a homosexual opponent who was speaking for the gay community, specifically stated they want CFA to go on record and recant their viewpoint? The only issue I've consistently seen as the #1 problem, is that CFA has donated millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations, thereby promoting oppression, segregation, and hate.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,002,825 times
Quote:
Exactly why I believe this is a fruitless endeavor and only used to get attention. They have been having these views for years. The media is the only reason why this is even getting attention.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,943,941 times
Quote:
Really just because YOU don't agree with their views? For starters the CEO never said he was against gay marriage, he said he was for traditional marriage. So in essence, polygamists, incestuous people and other groups of people could be equally mad. It is being made out like he singled out gays, which he never even mentioned in his quote (nor does the organizations he support). Then even if you go on the premise that he is anti-gay, couldn't you argue that protesting his business make you anti-Christian?

But what I find unbelievable about this particular situation is that these individuals believe they can tell other people who they should and should not patronize. If you have an issue with them, just don't spend your money there. How hard is that?
Right wingers are always boycotting crap, look at the Davinci Code, Michael Moore movies, Target or Kmart or any business they perceive as pro gay. Hate how right wingers like to denigrate liberals for exercising their right to spend money how they want but exercise it 10x as much as anyone else Why shouldn't students be able to protest and have a say what goes on on their campus? Righties only like free speech when its their voices unfortunately.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Quote:

First of all, he donates money to anti-gay groups. Like people who exist just to work against gay rights. So that's pretty 'against gays.'

Second of all, christian oppression is written into TONS of laws - you just don't realize it because you're used to it.

I mean, why the hell can't I buy liquor on Sunday...?

As for your 'anti-christian,' no, not patronizing him has nothing to do with christianity, as there are MANY christians who aren't hate-filled aholes.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Where did you get the impression that anyone was trying to change Chick-fil-A's position? What interview have you seen where a homosexual opponent who was speaking for the gay community, specifically stated they want CFA to go on record and recant their viewpoint? The only issue I've consistently seen as the #1 problem, is that CFA has donated millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations, thereby promoting oppression, segregation, and hate.
The act of protesting, petitioning etc. is an attempt to change someone's opinion/position. If they were not trying to incite some type of change then they would have just written a letter, made a call to state their disapproval, or simply said nothing. I agree the CEO's decision to not support gay marriage is a problem since it alienates the rights that a specific group should have in the 21st century. But if one doesn't support their perspective then don't patronize them. Don't stage a "kiss in" and give a company whose opinion that you don't agree with one of the top grossing days in their history.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 08-17-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: