Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Fort Washington, MD
671 posts, read 1,547,852 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

I really haven't read this thread, because from what I have seen it seems to have devolved into mudslinging.

But, let me say this:

- Chick-fil-A's corporate leadership - being a private company - has the legal right to believe whatever it wants to, as long as it does not result in outward discrimination in regards to its service and treatment to patrons.

- Those that are in disagreement with Chick-fil-A have the right to freely protest, avoid eating at their establishment, and make attempts to pursue legal routes to remove their locations from their vicinity.

- People that like to criticize Chick-fil-A's morality should quickly take note of the type of rhetoric used against the company as well as the recent incidents nation-wide regarding vandalism and assault directed toward Chick-fil-A establishments, its employees and patrons. We are a civilized nation; one based off of laws. Perhaps it would do people good to remember this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
 
39 posts, read 93,115 times
Reputation: 73
Are they serious?! The year I transfer is the year they want to get rid of it?!! Sorry, I had to create an account just to say this. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,118 posts, read 6,382,341 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The students are deciding. Again, if they are so against it, then why is it one of the most profitable businesses in their student union? Money talks, if they didn't want it there they wouldn't spend their money there. And the student union isn't going to get rid of a business that makes them a lot of money. The biggest voice these students have is their pockets plain and simple.
I dunno. Maybe that's precisely the reason they want to get rid of choke-fil-a. Their food is very overpriced. They could just be greedy. If they're 3 times the price of the average fried chicken place and they've got the exclusive on fried chicken on campus, then I can see how that would be possible. Especially if right wing religious extremists were driving from miles around just to eat there so they can make a contribution to some hate groups on the orders of mike huckabee.

The oil companies make a lot of profit too. But that doesn't mean people support them. It could mean people just don't have any other choice.
Or that they are charging too much for the oil.

Marriage equality would mean billions in revenue for companies in the whole wedding racket. Surely a nation wouldn't want to keep businesses from making money by catering, floral, formal wear and so on, would it? Money talks, dudnit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I dunno. Maybe that's precisely the reason they want to get rid of choke-fil-a. Their food is very overpriced. They could just be greedy. If they're 3 times the price of the average fried chicken place and they've got the exclusive on fried chicken on campus, then I can see how that would be possible. Especially if right wing religious extremists were driving from miles around just to eat there so they can make a contribution to some hate groups on the orders of mike huckabee.

The oil companies make a lot of profit too. But that doesn't mean people support them. It could mean they just don't have any other choice.
Or that they are charging too much for the oil.

Marriage equality would mean billions in revenue for companies in the whole wedding racket. Surely a nation wouldn't want to keep businesses from making money by catering, floral, formal wear and so on, would it? Money talks, dudnit?
You can't be serious. That makes no sense at all. If they were that greedy, then why would they even make a statement to turn off a portion of their support? You think they really thought they were going to benefit financially for taking such a stance? Furthermore, your point still doesn't make sense, because if it was so expensive, people wouldn't spend their money there. Why can't you just accept the fact that there are a good number of students that still support this business? I'm not blaming those students for not wanting to support this business, but I think it's unfair that just because a number of students don't like the views of this establishment, they feel that they can speak for all the students. If they don't like the business, don't go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
 
707 posts, read 1,409,860 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I dunno. Maybe that's precisely the reason they want to get rid of choke-fil-a. Their food is very overpriced. They could just be greedy. If they're 3 times the price of the average fried chicken place and they've got the exclusive on fried chicken on campus, then I can see how that would be possible. Especially if right wing religious extremists were driving from miles around just to eat there so they can make a contribution to some hate groups on the orders of mike huckabee.

The oil companies make a lot of profit too. But that doesn't mean people support them. It could mean people just don't have any other choice.
Or that they are charging too much for the oil.

Marriage equality would mean billions in revenue for companies in the whole wedding racket. Surely a nation wouldn't want to keep businesses from making money by catering, floral, formal wear and so on, would it? Money talks, dudnit?
There's no way their prices are three times what the average chicken prices are, the University wouldn't allow it and furthur more CFA prices are consistent throughtout all universities. They are also at the top if not near the top in sales in most universities food courts so its just not about profits. Only a small percentage of sales from Universities actually goes to CFA, the majority of sales stays with the schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Reputation: 6262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Here is the thing. I gradauted from College Park and the campus is actually not that liberal compared to other college towns like Austin, Berkeley, Madison, etc. Most students were apolitical and cared more about what the football or basketball coach said and which parties were happening and which bars were opening up than world events. The ibggest protest I remember was when it impacted students own lives like with the lack of housing for seniors and the price of campus housing. HOWEVER, a very small minority of very vocal liberal students do make their voices heard due to the apathetic nature of the student body. I doubt they will get enough signatures. Chick fil A is the most busy place in the campus food court. I will be honest though, I don't care for that particular chick fil A since it ALWAYS made my stomach upset, this has never happened at any other location anywhere else.
I was diagnosed with appendicitis approximately 10 hours after eating at the Taco Bell in Stamp

I wouldn't mind CFA leaving if they replaced it with some sort of 'express' version of Nando's Peri-Peri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,118 posts, read 6,382,341 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Why can't you just accept the fact that there are a good number of students that still support this business?
)))

I don't doubt that there are.

(((
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I'm not blaming those students for not wanting to support this business, but I think it's unfair that just because a number of students don't like the views of this establishment, they feel that they can speak for all the students. If they don't like the business, don't go there.)))
I would think that's unfair too. But that's not what's going on. It sounds like it's a democracy.
The way that works is the majority of people decide the way it's going to be. Not just "a number" of students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
There's no way their prices are three times what the average chicken prices are, the University wouldn't allow it and furthur more CFA prices are consistent throughtout all universities. They are also at the top if not near the top in sales in most universities food courts so its just not about profits. Only a small percentage of sales from Universities actually goes to CFA, the majority of sales stays with the schools!
Well it was just one hypothesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't care for that particular chick fil A since it ALWAYS made my stomach upset
And there's another perfectly good hypothesis.
Maybe it's because they've failed to practice an adequate level of food safety?
I guess they aren't praying hard enough to make their workers wash their hands after using the toilet. Pray harder damnit! Pray harder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 555,094 times
Reputation: 183
I take more offense to the idea that CFA donates to groups that are opposed to gay marriage and homosexuality in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,118 posts, read 6,382,341 times
Reputation: 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I take more offense to the idea that CFA donates to groups that are opposed to gay marriage and homosexuality in general.
Oh, you mean hate groups like Family Research Council?

That's another good hypothesis I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I take more offense to the idea that CFA donates to groups that are opposed to gay marriage and homosexuality in general.
Because everyone should agree with it and if they don't they are a hate group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top