Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,245,226 times

Advertisements

I'm a UM alumni, do I get a vote? I say they stay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM

575 posts, read 556,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Because everyone should agree with it and if they don't they are a hate group?
I never called them a hate group now did I? Those were your words, not mine.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,019,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I never called them a hate group now did I? Those were your words, not mine.
I know you didn't say that, but what is it about their opinion that gets people all riled up. People (not necessarily you) are given them this label or in your case taking offense and saying that they don't support them. The problem in this country is you have people who want you to think like them. Plain and simple, if you don't believe what a Christian believes, you can't expect them to have views like yours and the same thing for a Muslim or any other group. As a customer to a business, you have a right to or not to support them, but I think people are taking words out of context.

I addressed the issue with these alleged hate groups in one of my earlier posts, the same one you glossed over to find something wrong with it. It's just simply that these individuals have a different view on things than you may have, but do you think that people who share your view of same sex marriage are justified in trying to shut down a business based on what they do with their money? And how can you be offended by these organizations stating that they believe marriage is between a man and woman? Do you buy gas? Do you realize a majority of the gas companies get their oil from companies overseas that believe the exact same thing of what marriage is defined as and would probably have someone killed if they acted like that in their country. Are you offended by them too? Enough not to buy gas....

And please understand, I don't expect you to agree with their views, but I'm wondering what is the point of all this protesting. How can you be so selective about who you protest? Then how can these people get upset about what they perceive as people telling them how to live but then turn around and tell people where they should spend their money?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,975,575 times
I thought this was a free country.

I am not religious at all, I support gay rights, gay marriage etc. But I think I'll go to chic fil a more often just to support them. This is getting ridiculous. If you don't like what a some CEO of a company says about his personal preferences and feel you can't support them then fine. That's great. That's why this is a free country and the company may pay a price for being vocal about its political and religious viewpoints.

But to ban them or evict established businesses from certain cities etc? That is just insane. This country is heading down the wrong path.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,443,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
But is this a surprise. They have always been a very religious organization and have held those beliefs since the beginning. Being upset because they defended their position is like criticizing someone for being a democrat or a republican.
Thank you. They are closed on Sundays. They are known as a Christian company. Their lack of support for gay marriage (or a gay family unit) should not be a sudden surprise to anyone.

People can protest whatever they want. But don't act brand new.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,443,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
- People that like to criticize Chick-fil-A's morality should quickly take note of the type of rhetoric used against the company as well as the recent incidents nation-wide regarding vandalism and assault directed toward Chick-fil-A establishments, its employees and patrons. We are a civilized nation; one based off of laws. Perhaps it would do people good to remember this.
Really? Vandalism and assault? That doesn't help the gay rights cause or anyone else's cause.

I am a live and let live type of person as long as no one is being hurt. So gay rights and gay marriage don't fill me with emotion or moral indignation. But I think making an example out of Chik-Fil-A is disingenuous, and it's going to backfire more than it already is.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM

304 posts, read 715,326 times
There's a gross amount of ignorance and—what I'm pretty sure is—hypocrisy going on in here. You have a certain group of individuals who continue to try and twist and distort words and viewpoints that have clearly been spelled out, just for the sake of either (1) justifying a flawed argument that they never had to begin with or (2) hide that fake they are just an effed up individual in general.

The people on here who are proponents of Chick-fil-A, are doing the same tired crap I've seen online from others in the same boat: You all keep talking about "personal opinions," "freedom of speech," and crap that has never even been stated by the opposition. I don't know how many ways a person can state they don't have problem with someone have a PERSON OPINION — but they have a problem with an individual speaking for a company and/or a company who donates money towards organizations that have an anti-gay agenda. Do we need a Spanish translator in here or some other language translated for you all??

What's so funny, is that I'm quite sure that this would be an entirely different story if we had replaced the "Gay" issue, with "Black" or "Christian." I'm pretty sure a 100% of the folks who are saying they stand being Chick-fil-A, would be crying foul and protesting, if this were a case where the president of Walmart (Mike Duke) came out and stated that "I'm against Christianity and other forms of organized religions, and people who believe in fairy tales like 'God' are brainwashed." I can assure you that if Disney came out and stated that "In our opinions, our black clientele tend to be uncivilized and come from poor socioeconomic backgrounds," we'd have a new round of L.A. riots. It's really easy to take a stance on something when you aren't the person being affected by it. I don't want hear any bulls*** about "I support gay rights and gay marriage," but you turn around state something that completely contradicts it. If you state that you are a gay rights supporter but you agree with Chick-fil-A's stance, then that means one of two things: (A) You're grossly misinformed and ignorant to what you speak of or (B) You are a terrible liar. No one can say they are a gay rights supporter but they support Chick-fil-A. Those two stances don't go hand-in-hand. It's tantamount to the parent who tells their child they love their son, but only on the condition they live a heterosexual Christian lifestyle. That means they don't love their son, as love is unconditional. If I were gay, you can't tell me you support me and my equal rights to have all the benefits a hetero would, but then you turn around and say that you feel my basic human rights should have a limitation. I thought we already established back in the 60s that 'separate but equal' doesn't work.

If you can't see the fail in that, then nothing else needs to be said.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM

460 posts, read 1,019,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
There's a gross amount of ignorance and—what I'm pretty sure is—hypocrisy going on in here. You have a certain group of individuals who continue to try and twist and distort words and viewpoints that have clearly been spelled out, just for the sake of either (1) justifying a flawed argument that they never had to begin with or (2) hide that fake they are just an effed up individual in general.

The people on here who are proponents of Chick-fil-A, are doing the same tired crap I've seen online from others in the same boat: You all keep talking about "personal opinions," "freedom of speech," and crap that has never even been stated by the opposition. I don't know how many ways a person can state they don't have problem with someone have a PERSON OPINION — but they have a problem with an individual speaking for a company and/or a company who donates money towards organizations that have an anti-gay agenda. Do we need a Spanish translator in here or some other language translated for you all??

What's so funny, is that I'm quite sure that this would be an entirely different story if we had replaced the "Gay" issue, with "Black" or "Christian." I'm pretty sure a 100% of the folks who are saying they stand being Chick-fil-A, would be crying foul and protesting, if this were a case where the president of Walmart (Mike Duke) came out and stated that "I'm against Christianity and other forms of organized religions, and people who believe in fairy tales like 'God' are brainwashed." I can assure you that if Disney came out and stated that "In our opinions, our black clientele tend to be uncivilized and come from poor socioeconomic backgrounds," we'd have a new round of L.A. riots. It's really easy to take a stance on something when you aren't the person being affected by it. I don't want hear any bulls*** about "I support gay rights and gay marriage," but you turn around state something that completely contradicts it. If you state that you are a gay rights supporter but you agree with Chick-fil-A's stance, then that means one of two things: (A) You're grossly misinformed and ignorant to what you speak of or (B) You are a terrible liar. No one can say they are a gay rights supporter but they support Chick-fil-A. Those two stances don't go hand-in-hand. It's tantamount to the parent who tells their child they love their son, but only on the condition they live a heterosexual Christian lifestyle. That means they don't love their son, as love is unconditional. If I were gay, you can't tell me you support me and my equal rights to have all the benefits a hetero would, but then you turn around and say that you feel my basic human rights should have a limitation. I thought we already established back in the 60s that 'separate but equal' doesn't work.

If you can't see the fail in that, then nothing else needs to be said.
I'm not quite sure I can fully understand some of your arguments. I know many parents that love their children... but don't agree with and/or support some of their actions. As a matter of fact... I don't think there is a parent in the WORLD that doesn't agree at some time or another with a life decision their child has made.... that doesn't necessarily mean they stop loving them..
I think it makes complete sense for individuals to support a specific cause, and respect other peoples opinions and beliefs. In fact, I think there should be more people like that! A business owner has every right to state what they are building their company on... and if people don't agree with it.. they can not work there, they can not purchase from there, or they can just understand that opinion, and have a different opinion. Of course some things are more of a priority to certain people, but that is why personal decisions are made.
I think the big thing with this is really describing and understand what "rights" are. I feel like that is a term that is over used, and misunderstood. ESPECIALLY in this modern world where most people have gotten into a very "entitled" type mindset. Why does everyone have a "right" to everything these days? I guess my personal opinion would be that there are many many many people that don't have a "right" to be married.. and shouldn't get married. I think it is definitely a privilege, but in the past 20 years has been taken so lightly.

As far as "rights" go - people have the "right" to think and believe anything they want. Whether they express it openly is up to them.. whether they take action on their beliefs is up to them... and if there are laws against whatever happens to be their thought's or beliefs, that is their decision. It goes to simply be you can choose whether or not a persons position on an issue, or a companies position on an issue, will make you not want to be associated with them. Just like many pro-traditional family individuals have chosen to not patronize Starbucks anymore over their position and money going towards pro-gay marriage. Nothing wrong with it either way... but the difference is no one every claimed they were going not let Starbucks open any more businesses, and shut them down etc.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 43,875 times
Its a shame that the student union feels this way. Chick-fil-a is a fine eating establishment. Not only do they serve good food at a great value, their service is absolutely amazing. Very rarely do I go to a quick-service resturaunt where I am treated like a REAL HUMAN BEING! Sure there are a lot places where the employees are nice and polite, but nowhere near as genuine as Chick-fil-a.

I am also impressed at the positive attitude among the employees too, almost as if they really do enjoy working there! The food is always fresh and served quickly. And if it is not, most of the time I have recieved a coupon for free food. But very rarely do they give me a reason to complain. The best thing is that I have enjoyed Chick-fil-a in many places across the country and experience is good everywhere I go. regardless of what I believe I like Chick-fil-a and if the UMSU decides to remove it, then I hope they get a lot of satisfaction from it, because if I attended UM I would be disappointed. )=

Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM

961 posts, read 2,030,795 times
I'm pro-gay rights (actually government shouldn't be in ANY marriage, period) but god damn, these days you just can't get a damned chicken sandwich without politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: