Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 556,648 times
Reputation: 183

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I'm pro-gay rights (actually government shouldn't be in ANY marriage, period) but god damn, these days you just can't get a damned chicken sandwich without politics?
We have to face facts that we live in a politically aware society that seems to see things as Red vs. Blue. Even the most apolitical event or thing can somehow turn (or be turned) into an argument about politics.

A good example of this would be the Curiosity Rover, a seemingly apolitical event and remarkable achievement for humanity that somehow turned into a political debate on Facebook about the GOP, Liberals, NASA Funding and entitlements. Seriously, you really can't make this stuff up; people actually saw this as a place to spout their political leanings (and agenda) rather than celebrate an event that should bring us all together.

I'm all for having a discussion about politics, but there is a time an a place for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: DC/Brooklyn, NY/Miami, FL
1,178 posts, read 2,965,326 times
Reputation: 391
I'm still eatin' at Chick Fil A, I don't care if the founder was against black people (I'm black) the chicken is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Hyattsville, MD
304 posts, read 715,718 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I'm pro-gay rights (actually government shouldn't be in ANY marriage, period) but god damn, these days you just can't get a damned chicken sandwich without politics?
Blame CFA. THEY are the idiots who opened up the subject to debate. You think some homosexual confronted CFA and put them on the spot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I'm still eatin' at Chick Fil A, I don't care if the founder was against black people (I'm black) the chicken is good.
And you have sadly proven why you will continue to be laughed at by all other races, for your ignorance and apathetic attitude. The sad part is, I could really see someone like you stereotypically shoving chicken down your throat from a company that openly admits they don't like black people. You would be oblivious to the huge fail.

Oh, and before I start hearing people sounding the racism alarms... I am Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,471 posts, read 25,922,271 times
Reputation: 10516
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I'm pro-gay rights (actually government shouldn't be in ANY marriage, period) but god damn, these days you just can't get a damned chicken sandwich without politics?
You can. The workers do not say anything about politics to you. The person who opened their big mouth is not going to be there serving you. You'll walk in, buy your sandwich, and leave and never have to hear anything political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Fort Washington, MD
671 posts, read 1,550,798 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I'm still eatin' at Chick Fil A, I don't care if the founder was against black people (I'm black) the chicken is good.
I dont know if that is true, but if it is -- each time you eat there you can think of yourself slapping the founder in the face. Win in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 1,020,470 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Blame CFA. THEY are the idiots who opened up the subject to debate. You think some homosexual confronted CFA and put them on the spot??



And you have sadly proven why you will continue to be laughed at by all other races, for your ignorance and apathetic attitude. The sad part is, I could really see someone like you stereotypically shoving chicken down your throat from a company that openly admits they don't like black people. You would be oblivious to the huge fail.

Oh, and before I start hearing people sounding the racism alarms... I am Black.

Actually I disagree with you. The other person seems to have priorities set... And doesn't seem to care what other people think about him. I bet he also surrounds himself with positive and encouraging people... And doesn't give a rats --- about anyone else as long as he isn't being harmed... We need more people like him.

You on the other hand.... Seem like a person who thinks they are entitled to Anything and everything.... And play "victim" on everything you possibly can. Probably little to no success due to your own effort, skills, or ethic.......rather sad.

I don't normally like to say negative things about people, especially that I don't know... But the language you so quickly used towards the other gentleman is rather disgusting.... Simply bc he doesn't act in the same pathetic way you do, or think the same way you do.

Also.... Do you not understand Cathy was responding in an interview....?? So who brought it up?

Oh and just in case you didn't know..... People of any color or ethnicity can be racist.... So I'm not sure how your last statement makes sense.

You are going to have issues every where you go..... Because of you and our mentality.

Last edited by lasershen111; 08-23-2012 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,125 posts, read 14,027,831 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Blame CFA. THEY are the idiots who opened up the subject to debate. You think some homosexual confronted CFA and put them on the spot??
You have once again shown you have been misinformed about what the actual issue is here. You are allowing the media reports to dictate your understanding of what was stated. The question he was originally asked, had absolutely nothing to do with gay marriage. It was interpreted because he stated that he supports traditional marriage, that he must be against gay marriage (which is actually true) and hate gays (which there is no evidence of). That is just the media taking poetic license and making a story out of something that really shouldn't have ever become one. Let me ask you, if you are married, depending on type of marriage that you have, let's just say hypothetically you are homosexual. Does that fact that you would have a homosexual marriage mean you hate heterosexual marriages or does it mean that you wanted and had a preference for homosexual marriage? If I decide that I like to eat at Burger King, does that mean I hate Wendy's? Why does he have to support something that others support. He is not asking people to agree with him, he's just stating his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Salisbury, MD
575 posts, read 556,648 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
You have once again shown you have been misinformed about what the actual issue is here. You are allowing the media reports to dictate your understanding of what was stated. The question he was originally asked, had absolutely nothing to do with gay marriage. It was interpreted because he stated that he supports traditional marriage, that he must be against gay marriage (which is actually true) and hate gays (which there is no evidence of). That is just the media taking poetic license and making a story out of something that really shouldn't have ever become one. Let me ask you, if you are married, depending on type of marriage that you have, let's just say hypothetically you are homosexual. Does that fact that you would have a homosexual marriage mean you hate heterosexual marriages or does it mean that you wanted and had a preference for homosexual marriage? If I decide that I like to eat at Burger King, does that mean I hate Wendy's? Why does he have to support something that others support. He is not asking people to agree with him, he's just stating his opinion.
And his opinion started off a firestorm. Now, had he not said anything, none of this would be happening. Mr. Cathy should've already known that something like this would result in a polarizing response from the American populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
 
1,831 posts, read 4,445,199 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
And his opinion started off a firestorm. Now, had he not said anything, none of this would be happening. Mr. Cathy should've already known that something like this would result in a polarizing response from the American populace.
True. But maybe he counted on people saying hey, the chicken is good.

Seriously, I suspect Cathy counted on lots of Christian support and less backlash from those supporting gay marriage. But, I could be giving the guy too much credit.

Really, business owners are going to feel the way they feel about politics and religious (and even racial) issues. I really think they should keep it to themselves, because everyone's money is green, and they want the money. Yes, there's freedom of speech and having your say. But once you make a wide or even global impact with your business, what is your priority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 1,020,470 times
Reputation: 257
I also agree it is in everyone's best interest generally speaking to an extent as a business owner and as companies to not dabble into political items... But those that choose to, or are in a circumstance where they answer a question in an interview...... I'm sure they expect or understand there will be back lash regardless of what side of the stance you are on.

These folks aren't owners or heads of successful companies because they are morons.....

Did people seriously expect the owner of a well know Christian organization to have a different opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top