U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM

946 posts, read 1,872,957 times

Advertisements

So we're headed to Ocean City, MD/Bethany, DE over the weekend. What are the best times to leave to avoid traffic?

Is there any benefit to stopping over in Annapolis or another point on the way--for the purposes of a more relaxed trip? (bumper to bumper traffic is not the most ideal situation).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM

32,592 posts, read 76,062,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
So we're headed to Ocean City, MD/Bethany, DE over the weekend.
What are the best times to leave to avoid traffic?
3AM should do it.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 8,589,426 times
Quote:
So we're headed to Ocean City, MD/Bethany, DE over the weekend. What are the best times to leave to avoid traffic?

Is there any benefit to stopping over in Annapolis or another point on the way--for the purposes of a more relaxed trip? (bumper to bumper traffic is not the most ideal situation).
Traffic usually backs up near the Bay Bridge. I wouldn't suggest staying in Annapolis overnight. You might as well just stay home and save over $100. Best time to leave would be Thursday afternoon (most people take Friday off). That way you can check-in at a normal time rather than having to wait until 3:30pm to check in. Friday morning is an option. But you'll have your luggage with you until check-in time.

I don't like to waste my hotel stay. Especially if you're paying over $200/might. I want my bags in the room at least by 5pm. If you have a beach rental, then I guess you have more freedom of when you arrive. Get the most bang for your buck.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Traffic usually backs up near the Bay Bridge. I wouldn't suggest staying in Annapolis overnight. You might as well just stay home and save over $100. Best time to leave would be Thursday afternoon (most people take Friday off). That way you can check-in at a normal time rather than having to wait until 3:30pm to check in. Friday morning is an option. But you'll have your luggage with you until check-in time.

I don't like to waste my hotel stay. Especially if you're paying over $200/might. I want my bags in the room at least by 5pm. If you have a beach rental, then I guess you have more freedom of when you arrive. Get the most bang for your buck.
Yes, beach rental it is we've got a group house, but it will only be available afternoon anyway.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM

629 posts, read 907,296 times
Quote:
Some other weekend, preferably Oct-May.

In seriousness, if you must go there Labor Day weekend, the more you can remove it from Friday & Saturday daylight hours (going) and Monday daylight hours/evening (returning) the better. But it's always pretty horrible and the backups focus on the Bay Bridge.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM

746 posts, read 992,514 times
Drove out to Rehoboth Beach last August. Wasn't a holiday or anything. Traffic was awful. Took 50E out past the bridge, then started going out on 1 or something. Left on a Friday at 3:00 or thereabouts. Don't leave at this time. The traffic on the beach was even worse. Told my girl we would never go back on the weekend in the summer. It was fun, yet quite draining.

Basically, you should leave Friday morning after rush hour. Rush hour here in the morning is over at around 10. Leave at ten and get there at 1. Should be pretty smooth sailing, though holiday travel will slow things down a little bit.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
3AM should do it.
I think I just might do that going. I even hope one can leave at 4 or 5 am, and avoid traffic assuming you're past the bridge by 7am, and at the beach around 8 or 9--but correct me if I'm wrong.

Meanwhile from what I gather, returning on Monday afternoon is not ideal, I'll shoot for leaving 7pm thereabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland